CONFIMRED - Deniss Rakels

357 posts
Esteban

Re: Rumour - Deniss Rakels

by Esteban » 28 Jan 2016 13:16

Royal Ginger
Esteban
Royal Ginger As a bit of silliness here's a tenuous and highly implausible link between Rakels and the Thais for the conspiracy theorists.

Board-member Theekharoj Piamphongsarn has a background in private banking and has been involved in 'developing the south-east asian market, especially Thailand'. http://www.aurusam.com/www/Our_Team.html. KS Cracovia's main sponsors are a company called Comarch

Comarch signed some sort of deal to bring internet banking to Thailand http://www.telecompaper.com/news/comarch-brings-internet-banking-service-to-thailand--693789 Eh eh?

Shows you can make a conspiracy theory out of anything.

I rarely disagree with much of what you post RG, but McDermott has stated pretty categorically to Charles Watts today that Rakels is an owner signing.

I think the whole transfer process needs to be clarified by the club. If the 'owner signings' are based on solid scouting, frank discussions with the manager and ultimately the manager's decision is final, then I can live with that. What nobody wants to see is the manager bypassed completely.

Just because Rakels was suggested by the owners or their representatives, it doesn't mean that McDermott wasn't persuaded he is a good fit and made the final call. I am yet to be convinced of that though.

My apologies, i was unclear, i completely agree this is clearly a owner signing as CW has quoted Brian, i was just having a quick sniff around to see if i could find an ownership link between the two clubs as to WHY the owners would have selected such an obscure player, but the only link i could crowbar together was the exceedingly tenuous connections above which are clearly nothing to do with it. The reasoning remains a bit of a mystery.

This answers a couple of things. Probably no surprises though:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... n-10801823

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 28 Jan 2016 13:17

Big Foot If (and it's a big if) Rakels comes in and scores a bag load of goals, will anyone really care if he's an "owner" signing or not?

Of course not. I expect a few people on here will still find something to moan about though

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Jan 2016 13:23

So the story is, according to Brian, Charles Watts and Posh chairman Mac: Brian wanted to sign washington, deal was practically done, then the Thais pulled the plug as they wanted to sign Rakels, a player their own scouts had identified, instead.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Jan 2016 13:31

The Thais clearly haven't learnt their lessons yet with wasting money on unknown foreigners and bringing them into the Championship (OK Sa did spend a little bit of time at Fulham). This guy will probably sit on the bench for the rest of the season, get frustrated and then leave in the summer. At least he will be cheap. The Polish league is very poorly paid (i seem to remember about £2k per week on average)

I also guess it means Dom Samuels won't be back this season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Jan 2016 13:44

Extended-Phenotype So the story is, according to Brian, Charles Watts and Posh chairman Mac: Brian wanted to sign washington, deal was practically done, then the Thais pulled the plug as they wanted to sign Rakels, a player their own scouts had identified, instead.

Washington would've cost millions, Rakels is probably a fraction of that. I guess the Thais preferred to take a bit of a risk on a cheaper player instead of shelling out.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 28 Jan 2016 13:48

Interesting than when asked this:
Charles Watts Do you get the final say? If you say no, I don’t want him, would he still arrive?

Brian didn't really answer it.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Jan 2016 13:49

genome
Extended-Phenotype So the story is, according to Brian, Charles Watts and Posh chairman Mac: Brian wanted to sign washington, deal was practically done, then the Thais pulled the plug as they wanted to sign Rakels, a player their own scouts had identified, instead.

Money again

Oh and he went to QPR. Aren't they supposed to be bankrupt / kicked out of the football league by now?

:lol:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Jan 2016 13:51

wingnut Interesting than when asked this:
Charles Watts Do you get the final say? If you say no, I don’t want him, would he still arrive?

Brian didn't really answer it.

I think it's quite clear the answer is ''no I don't get the final say''

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Jan 2016 13:59

Extended-Phenotype
genome

Money again

Oh and he went to QPR. Aren't they supposed to be bankrupt / kicked out of the football league by now?

:lol:

That's QPR's problem, let them get into more debt if they want to.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Jan 2016 14:00

Can I say that it's not the player's fault that the owners have got involved and therefore we should not hold it against him and he should get full support from us mug fans (until the first time he misses a sitter, falls over, is an unused sub etc.).

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Jan 2016 14:02

Oh aye for sure he could be ace

But it's a shame our owners are pulling up on deals the manager wants and making ones he doesn't

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Jan 2016 14:05

Extended-Phenotype Oh aye for sure he could be ace

But it's a shame our owners are pulling up on deals the manager wants and making ones he doesn't

Nowhere in the interview transcript does Brian say he doesn't want him? In fact, he says:
I know the player now. We have Wyscout here where you can watch the player. He works his socks off, he’s got a good record of scoring in Poland this season.

I spoke to Kaspars Gorkks about him, the Latvian captain, he gave me a good insight into him. So if the deal is done then great - he will come into our squad.

I look at him and I look at what he can bring. He’s an international player and he’s someone that we can work with. It’s great that he’s coming.

I look at things with an open mind. If we sign Deniss for example and he comes in he will be embraced by us. The fans will embrace him and we want him to do really well. Same with Evans, Kermorgant or anyone who comes through the door.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 28 Jan 2016 14:16

genome

Washington would've cost millions, Rakels is probably a fraction of that. I guess the Thais preferred to take a bit of a risk on a cheaper player instead of shelling out.

Sounds like the Reading way going for this guy over Washington.

If he was Irish, this was 2005 and suggested by Pat Dolan who wasn't one of our clubs scouts you'd probably be fairly happy. Especially if threw threw a second striker in on the deal.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 28 Jan 2016 14:18

I think Brian's trying to put the best spin on it there.

Don't be surprised if he hardly features at all this season then disappears in the summer.

EDIT: @genome
Last edited by wingnut on 28 Jan 2016 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 28 Jan 2016 14:19

genome Nowhere in the interview transcript does Brian say he doesn't want him? In fact, he says:
I know the player now. We have Wyscout here where you can watch the player. He works his socks off, he’s got a good record of scoring in Poland this season.

I spoke to Kaspars Gorkks about him, the Latvian captain, he gave me a good insight into him. So if the deal is done then great - he will come into our squad.

I look at him and I look at what he can bring. He’s an international player and he’s someone that we can work with. It’s great that he’s coming.

This is hardly a ringing endorsement by Brian though! "...if the deal is done then great - he will come into our squad." is simply a statement of fact. Adding "It's great that he's coming" at the end sounds a bit like an afterthought too.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Jan 2016 14:24

I think you're reading too much into it tbh.

Esteban

by Esteban » 28 Jan 2016 14:40

Extended-Phenotype Oh aye for sure he could be ace

If Brian really doesn't want him, then wouldn't the owners just hold on to the cash and not make a signing? Seems daft to buy a player if the manager says he won't play him.

Devil's advocate here, but if it came down to Washington and Rakels, both of whom are gambles in their own way, and the owners decided that Washington was too much of a financial gamble to take and Brian agreed to Rakels instead...well, is that much different to how it was when Madejski was the owner?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jan 2016 15:14

Rakell's scoring rate in the last couple of years is better than Washingtons (same number of goals in 20 fewer games) but what that tells us I have no idea !

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 28 Jan 2016 15:26

Coppelled_Streets More interference from the Thai's then.

I wouldn't call it "interefering", they own the business

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 28 Jan 2016 15:26

Extended-Phenotype :lol: @ the idea our owners just sign players without consulting or discussing with the DoF or manager. If Brian didn't want the player pretty sure we wouldn't be signing him.

You can :lol: @ that idea all you want but I think that's the reality. Certainly, the first Brian knew of Pogbregnyak was when he was introduced to him as our new forward by the then owners.

I'm surprised managers actually wear this, but I guess if they don't, there's plenty out of work that would

357 posts