CONFIMRED - Deniss Rakels

357 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour - Deniss Rakels

by Vision » 28 Jan 2016 15:29

Schards#2
Extended-Phenotype :lol: @ the idea our owners just sign players without consulting or discussing with the DoF or manager. If Brian didn't want the player pretty sure we wouldn't be signing him.

You can :lol: @ that idea all you want but I think that's the reality. Certainly, the first Brian knew of Pogbregnyak was when he was introduced to him as our new forward by the then owners.

I'm surprised managers actually wear this, but I guess if they don't, there's plenty out of work that would

Really? Not what he said at the time.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 28 Jan 2016 15:31

My prediction of Rakel's Reading career:

Weeks 1-8 - one random start where he's subbed after 45 mins and lots of "he's not up to speed fitness wise so we're working hard on him in training"

Weeks 8 - 15 - A few appearances on the bench coming on for 10 minutes twice

Weeks 16 onwards - not in squad

Close season - gone on a free to Skonto FC

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 28 Jan 2016 15:31

Pepe the Horseman My Posh supporting m8's girlfriend lives in Krakow, so he tends to be out there every other weekend to watch Cracovia. Reckons Rakels is much better than Washington.

My aunties next door neighbours plumber that lives in Wigan has been to Washington ...(Tyne & Wear)

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 28 Jan 2016 15:32

Vision
Schards#2
Extended-Phenotype :lol: @ the idea our owners just sign players without consulting or discussing with the DoF or manager. If Brian didn't want the player pretty sure we wouldn't be signing him.

You can :lol: @ that idea all you want but I think that's the reality. Certainly, the first Brian knew of Pogbregnyak was when he was introduced to him as our new forward by the then owners.

I'm surprised managers actually wear this, but I guess if they don't, there's plenty out of work that would

That's what he said at a supporters Q & A thing he did a year or so back

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 28 Jan 2016 15:42

I've got a good feeling about Latvian Deniss.

Reckon he might do ok

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 28 Jan 2016 15:47

He has a decent record and he looks alright.

It is worth giving him a chance. At the end of the day, If it doesn't work out and he is not good enough then he'll get moved on and someone else will come in.

Dennis, welcome to the Royals. I am looking forward to some controversy.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 28 Jan 2016 15:48

Schards#2
Vision
Schards#2

That's what he said at a supporters Q & A thing he did a year or so back

I'd take what he's saying in front of fans who've paid a tenner a pop to hear him with a pinch of salt tbh. Especially when it contradicts everything he said at the time.

The Pog signing actually went on for a while as other clubs were involved. Mcd at the time claimed he'd had a number of conversations with him before he signed. No doubt he was Anton's man but this notion that he was introduced to him at the training ground one day as his new signing with no prior knowledge is completely at odds with everything that was said at the time.

Brian's take at the time was that Anton mentioned Pog and said to him "how would you feel if I said I could get him for you?"

Whether he'd have wanted him if he knew how much it cost in wages is another matter but he definitely knew all about him.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 28 Jan 2016 15:50

Schards#2 My prediction of Rakel's Reading career:

Weeks 1-8 - one random start where he's subbed after 45 mins and lots of "he's not up to speed fitness wise so we're working hard on him in training"

Weeks 8 - 15 - A few appearances on the bench coming on for 10 minutes twice

Weeks 16 onwards - not in squad

Close season - gone on a free to Skonto FC

Yep except I don't think he'll start. Just a few appearances from the bench.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Jan 2016 16:20

Vision I'd take what he's saying in front of fans who've paid a tenner a pop to hear him with a pinch of salt tbh. Especially when it contradicts everything he said at the time.

The Pog signing actually went on for a while as other clubs were involved. Mcd at the time claimed he'd had a number of conversations with him before he signed. No doubt he was Anton's man but this notion that he was introduced to him at the training ground one day as his new signing with no prior knowledge is completely at odds with everything that was said at the time.

Brian's take at the time was that Anton mentioned Pog and said to him "how would you feel if I said I could get him for you?"

Whether he'd have wanted him if he knew how much it cost in wages is another matter but he definitely knew all about him.

Agreed, I'd take anything anyone in football says, but especially managers.

At the time he was trying to save face and not rock the boat for the good of the club, and himself and his reputation.

At the time of the Q&A he was trying to save face and rebuild his dented reputation and probably put a slightly different spin on it. Our memory for these kind of things can change over time as well.

It's pretty certain that he wasn't a player that McDermott went out and wanted to sign though. That's the world these managers live in now and they're paid handsomely to put up with their paymasters giving them players they may or may not really want from time to time.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 28 Jan 2016 16:30

The interview about him is a wee bit sad.

"yeah, I had to ask an ex-player if he was much cop"

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jan 2016 17:03

Would be odd if Brian hadn't spoken to a bloke he knows who is the captain of the potential signing's national side.
Kaspars always seemed a decent bloke so if he gave Rakells a good reference it's a positive sign.
A comment that Brian had popped over to Kraków twice to see him play might have been good though !

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 28 Jan 2016 17:09

stealthpapes The interview about him is a wee bit sad.

*slaps face*
Don't you ever refer to the mighty bearded wonder as just an 'ex player'.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 28 Jan 2016 17:11

Nameless Would be odd if Brian hadn't spoken to a bloke he knows who is the captain of the potential signing's national side.
Kaspars always seemed a decent bloke so if he gave Rakells a good reference it's a positive sign.
A comment that Brian had popped over to Kraków twice to see him play might have been good though !

He gave him a 'good insight'. It doesn't mention wether he said 'good lad' or 'don't say BBQ, it's his psychotic trigger word'

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 Jan 2016 17:11

in the interview he says that it was the owners own scout who picked up on him, but doesn't come all out and say he's had no say in it.

if the owner has said 'my scout has brought me this player, I think we should buy him', then brian's gone away and checked up on him, come back and said 'yes, it sounds like a good deal.' then theres nowt wrong with that. if the owner has said 'im blowing some of our tiny budget on someone you've never heard of and don't want' then that's much worse.
we still don't really know which one of those it was.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Jan 2016 17:27

genome
Extended-Phenotype Oh aye for sure he could be ace

But it's a shame our owners are pulling up on deals the manager wants and making ones he doesn't

Nowhere in the interview transcript does Brian say he doesn't want him? In fact, he says:
I know the player now. We have Wyscout here where you can watch the player. He works his socks off, he’s got a good record of scoring in Poland this season.

I spoke to Kaspars Gorkks about him, the Latvian captain, he gave me a good insight into him. So if the deal is done then great - he will come into our squad.

I look at him and I look at what he can bring. He’s an international player and he’s someone that we can work with. It’s great that he’s coming.

I look at things with an open mind. If we sign Deniss for example and he comes in he will be embraced by us. The fans will embrace him and we want him to do really well. Same with Evans, Kermorgant or anyone who comes through the door.

Soz, I don't mean he actually doesn't want him, I mean he wasn't someone he was after.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Jan 2016 17:33

Maneki Neko in the interview he says that it was the owners own scout who picked up on him, but doesn't come all out and say he's had no say in it.

if the owner has said 'my scout has brought me this player, I think we should buy him', then brian's gone away and checked up on him, come back and said 'yes, it sounds like a good deal.' then theres nowt wrong with that. if the owner has said 'im blowing some of our tiny budget on someone you've never heard of and don't want' then that's much worse.

You'd have thought if it was the former, Brian would have clarified that and not been so evasive with his answers.

''yeah their scouts found the guy and I thought ace, fantastic find let's go for it!''

Instead its

''I don't know him. I do know Connor Washington though. But fcuk it he's here now, so might as well give him a seat on the bench or something. The pcunt.''

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 28 Jan 2016 17:36

Maneki Neko in the interview he says that it was the owners own scout who picked up on him, but doesn't come all out and say he's had no say in it.

Shocking if true ..

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 Jan 2016 17:40

it sounds as though the truth lays somewhere between those two extremes of owners meddling in transfers

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2016 17:42

Hoop Blah
Vision I'd take what he's saying in front of fans who've paid a tenner a pop to hear him with a pinch of salt tbh. Especially when it contradicts everything he said at the time.

Agreed, I'd take anything anyone in football says, but especially managers.

At the time he was trying to save face and not rock the boat for the good of the club, and himself and his reputation.

At the time of the Q&A he was trying to save face and rebuild his dented reputation and probably put a slightly different spin on it. Our memory for these kind of things can change over time as well.

It's pretty certain that he wasn't a player that McDermott went out and wanted to sign though. That's the world these managers live in now and they're paid handsomely to put up with their paymasters giving them players they may or may not really want from time to time.

I like Brian, but I think he's demonstrated with a couple of things he's said that he uses creative licence when it comes to telling the truth, depending on the situation. I find it very difficult to take anything he says about transfers and player situations at face value now.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 28 Jan 2016 18:12

Royal Ginger
stealthpapes The interview about him is a wee bit sad.

*slaps face*
Don't you ever refer to the mighty bearded wonder as just an 'ex player'.

Point taken.

357 posts