BFTG - Burnley

165 posts
3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Burnley

by 3points » 13 Feb 2016 22:41

marlowuk A very entertaining game between two evenly matched good (but not very good) Championship sides; a clean sheet and a point. In other words -a step up from the Wolves match!

But, like the Wolves match, we had a poor referee who kept his cards in his pocket for too long and nearly lost control as a result. AAH has to be MOTM again for that penalty save but also for several other good saves. Burnley should have won on clear cut chances created but a draw was probably fair on the balance of play.

We looked stronger in the air - which we haven't done for some time. Kermorgant won just about every header he went for and with Hector, Cooper and McShane also in the side we were a threat at set pieces. But what has happened to Norwood? His passing was dreadful - not just the long sweeping passes - he was messing up the short simple stuff and wasting the free kicks as well. HRK had a good game and it was good to see him taking on his full back. It was a pity he missed a reasonable chance in the second half. Piazon got a bit more 'stuck in' than usual but I'm not convinced by him. Cooper made a few stupid, and potentially dangerous, mistakes but once he has eradicated those from his game he will be a very good player indeed.

Kermorgant was at the wrong end of some over-physical challenges from Burnley early on but had a good game and Rakels impressed in another short cameo towards the end. In fact the last 15 minutes or so saw a catalogue of simple passing errors by Reading in the opposition half. This was very frustrating but could, at least partially, be put down to the bad pitch getting cut up.

Finally, anyone claiming that Brian is a 'hoof ball merchant' after this game needs to get their eyes tested. We are a passing team that plays the ball on the ground where possible. We will get some goals soon; then the confidence will return; then we will see what sort of side we really have here!

Burnley were the epitome of hoofball. Anyone who thinks we are needs to watch the replay of that game. Everything launched at Vokes. Good tactic to put Hector in front of Vokes and McShane behind. Nullified him.

McCleary was absolutely dire today. Probably should have had a bit of Ola John today. Midfield looked strange without Williams in it, but not necessarily worse. Norwood had his second poor game on the trot and just didn't look comfortable in wider areas. Has anyone mentioned McShane hitting the post in the second half yet? Did Kermogant hit the post or did Heaton save it?

Interesting at the end we had only one loanee on the pitch. A bit of insight into next season's team, although likely to see HRK leave and possibly Gunter

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Feb 2016 22:47

I think Brian got it right today tactically. This game was no time to have any sort of weakness defensively and bringing Ola John on would have been risky and left our defence more exposed. I think we would have ended up losing the game if Ola had come on.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 13 Feb 2016 22:54

Top Flight I think Brian got it right today tactically. This game was no time to have any sort of weakness defensively and bringing Ola John on would have been risky and left our defence more exposed. I think we would have ended up losing the game if Ola had come on.

I get what you're saying and think it's a key factor why he doesn't start games. But McCleary did nothing either in attack or defence today. He was just ambling around rather than putting in a shift to get back.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Feb 2016 23:03

Also what would have been the point bringing Ola John on if he only had Kermorgant to aim for?

Brian did the right thing bringing Deniss on for Norwood. A bit risky but not as risky as bringing on Ola John and we had a little bit more chance of nicking it with the extra man up front.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 13 Feb 2016 23:11

Think you missed my point. I'd have kept Piazon on for another 10 minutes and then brought on John, and not McCleary. Probably at the same time as bringing on Rakells

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Feb 2016 23:15

Fair enough. In hindsight though having seen McCleary amble about it's easy to choose John over him and you're right, possibly John would have done better than Garath today. However, in that kind of game, when you're planning your subs, you know that McCleary generally does defend well and helps keep us solid and Ola John doesn't. So McDermott had to go with McCleary really. In hindsight though perhaps you were right, maybe Ola would have been better today.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 13 Feb 2016 23:19

Or put McCleary in the right instead of the left? He may have looked a bit more interested in that side

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Feb 2016 23:24

I think that's a good shout in hindsight, but at the time of the call i didn't disagree.

Watched Rakels closely again. Hes good a very good idea of where everyone is and is very accurate and precise. Hope he can replicate that over 90 minutes.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 13 Feb 2016 23:31

Well it was better than Wolves - but Burnley were the opposite of Wolves as they were confident in their players - making the game more entertaining.

We were a bit messy, to be honest. Partly because of Brian's experimentation, and partly because there are some experienced pros letting the team down. We just dont look comfortable with this formation. Im pretty sure that the players are under instructions to cut out the wing play, but that doesnt excuse Gunter's refusal to get a ball into the box in the last ten minutes, or Hal's rather feeble attempts. Our right hand side was pretty dismal, and when Norwood got involved down that side it somehow managed to get worse. It was not surprising that one of them got substituted, I was more surprised that two out of those three werent subbed.

Ill let Piazon off because he was quite clearly out of position. At least Brian now knows that he isnt suited to playing against industrial Northern sides.

But there's no excuse for playing Mcleary down the left. The game was asking for 4-4-2 at the end, but somehow we only get half way there. We bring on a striker for the correct midfielder off. Then we play our best winger as a deep lying inside midfielder on the wrong side of the pitch, and leave Hal to do the square root of bugger all in the same position in Garath's position. I reckon John / Mcleary on Left and Right respectively with two forwards could have done something. Frustrating.

An obvious big up to Hector today. You were absolutely terrible in that position against Walsall, but kudos for sorting that out. Al-Habsi was obviously a star, but Cooper must also get recognition for his lying down header and hitting the photographer - all within 90 seconds. And I also think we should get credit for standing up to a side who had quite clearly sussed that the ref was weak. We could have collapsed under previous regimes.

We still need a win, though.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 13 Feb 2016 23:32

Top Flight Fair enough. In hindsight though having seen McCleary amble about it's easy to choose John over him and you're right, possibly John would have done better than Garath today. However, in that kind of game, when you're planning your subs, you know that McCleary generally does defend well and helps keep us solid and Ola John doesn't. So McDermott had to go with McCleary really. In hindsight though perhaps you were right, maybe Ola would have been better today.

Should have brought them both on

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 Feb 2016 23:38

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Top Flight Fair enough. In hindsight though having seen McCleary amble about it's easy to choose John over him and you're right, possibly John would have done better than Garath today. However, in that kind of game, when you're planning your subs, you know that McCleary generally does defend well and helps keep us solid and Ola John doesn't. So McDermott had to go with McCleary really. In hindsight though perhaps you were right, maybe Ola would have been better today.

Should have brought them both on

Not sure why not switch so that Mcleary played on the right and HRK on the left

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Feb 2016 23:46

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cooper must also get recognition for his lying down header and hitting the photographer - all within 90 seconds.

Steward, but yes, both raised a smile and endeared Cooper to me further.

DaddyKuhl

by DaddyKuhl » 14 Feb 2016 00:00

Well that was rubbish! Such a dire game of 'football'. The ball spent most of the time in the air and aside from a decent early move from Burnley there was zero football played today. So many errors and not much in the way of dynamic forward play. Burnley's tactic was to hit the ball into the channels for Gray to run into and ours was to hit it long to Kermogant's head. Anytime either team tried a forward pass it was overhit/underhit/straight to the opposition. I can only hope we can sweep that crap under the carpet and forget about it as just 'one of those games'

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 14 Feb 2016 00:07

DaddyKuhl Well that was rubbish! Such a dire game of 'football'. The ball spent most of the time in the air and aside from a decent early move from Burnley there was zero football played today. So many errors and not much in the way of dynamic forward play. Burnley's tactic was to hit the ball into the channels for Gray to run into and ours was to hit it long to Kermogant's head. Anytime either team tried a forward pass it was overhit/underhit/straight to the opposition. I can only hope we can sweep that crap under the carpet and forget about it as just 'one of those games'

You must have been at a different stadium to the rest of us then if you think we played it long.

DaddyKuhl

by DaddyKuhl » 14 Feb 2016 00:10

windermere_royal
DaddyKuhl Well that was rubbish! Such a dire game of 'football'. The ball spent most of the time in the air and aside from a decent early move from Burnley there was zero football played today. So many errors and not much in the way of dynamic forward play. Burnley's tactic was to hit the ball into the channels for Gray to run into and ours was to hit it long to Kermogant's head. Anytime either team tried a forward pass it was overhit/underhit/straight to the opposition. I can only hope we can sweep that crap under the carpet and forget about it as just 'one of those games'

You must have been at a different stadium to the rest of us then if you think we played it long.

Evidently so!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Feb 2016 00:23

Ian Royal
Royal Ginger Two wrongs don't make a right etc etc. They were a dirty bunch of cnuts, no doubt about it and Barton probably shouldn't have finished on the field, but digging up the spot is petulant cheating and i don't approve.

I don't get the weird "they were worse so we should be fine with poor behaviour" line coming from Leon and Hampshire.

I've played nicely with you recently Ian Royal, but if you are going to do your thing where you don't read what people actually write and then base an opinion on what you think they've written I will get the fcuking hump.

I've written that HRK was a twat for doing what he did however Burnley were just apalling cheats etc etc etc

Your call Ian.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 14 Feb 2016 00:33

Royal Ginger I think that's a good shout in hindsight, but at the time of the call i didn't disagree.

Watched Rakels closely again. Hes good a very good idea of where everyone is and is very accurate and precise. Hope he can replicate that over 90 minutes.

Brian should have put Rakels on as soon as Barton was booked with the express instruction to get in his face and wind him up. Cant imagine Barton would have been on the pitch for long, and it would have been good to see the two of them squaring up to each other - i know where i'd put my money.

I like the look of Rakels, pretty nippy and a good touch. Get him match fit and scoring and it will be Matej who?

As was pointed out earlier - only one loanee, and Cooper instead of Ferdinand. Gives a bit of a view as to what next year could be like.

Soul Man

by Soul Man » 14 Feb 2016 00:43

Dire?? Rubbish?? You were definitely at a different game from me.

DaddyKuhl

by DaddyKuhl » 14 Feb 2016 00:53

Soul Man

Dire?? Rubbish?? You were definitely at a different game from me.

I must have been! What I saw today was not a team, there was no decent interplay, no dynamic moves, no defence splitting passes, no real chances barr a couple of crosses and one counter attack, no cohesion, no pace up top. Definitely ranks as one of the worst performances of the season for me.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Feb 2016 01:20

Decent nil nil. Toothless up front, still hit woodwork twice and looked the better team for me.

Alhabsi 9 Mom
Obita 8
Mcshane 8
Cooper 7
Gunter 6
Hector 7
Quinn 8
HRK 7
Piazon 6
Norwood 6
Kermorgant 7

Rakkels decent again