BFTG - Burnley

165 posts
Schmeichel the dog

Re: BFTG - Burnley

by Schmeichel the dog » 13 Feb 2016 19:11

Yes, would also have taken a point before the game.
It was a decent performance against a (sometimes overly) physical Burnley side and a draw was probably fair overall. The penalty would have been a real kick in the teeth had they have scored.
Al-Habsi has to be man of the match for obvious reasons, but no-one had a poor game tbf. The only payers below par I thought were Norwood (by his standards) and McCleary, who didn't really offer a lot when he came on. Is he actually fit?
Finally, a word about Joey Barton, who put in his usual predictable pantomime villain performance. Yes, he's an utter nob, but he does get the crowd going.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Feb 2016 19:14

Good for a 0-0. People say we were lucky and they could have scored a few but so could we with Kermogant's header, The header Piazon had which you'd wwant to fall to anyone on the pitch but him and if HRK had got his shot on target. Burnley really were dirty and their innocent act doesn't really wash given Barton elbowing Kermogant and pushing Quinn at half time. Not forgetting Gray's dive for the penalty and his clear kick out at Obita not just once but twice.

Al Habsi - Not much to do but a great save for the penalty. 7

Gunter - Typical Gunter performance. Couple of poor crosses and a very poor last 15 minutes or so where he constantly gave the ball to them despite having simple passes to team mates. 5
McShane - Back to his best, marshalled the defence well. 8
Cooper - Assured defensively for the most part. Needs to improve his distribution. 6
Obita - Poor game from Jordan. Needs to make better choices and stop letting the ball bounce. 5

HRK - A couple of good crosses in the first half and was a good outlet. Could have done better with the chance that he blazed over. 7
Hector - Did a good job protecting the defence but fancies himself a little too much on the ball. 7
Norwood - Not one of his best games. Passing sloppy and he needs to speed up a bit sometimes rather than playing at his own pace so often. 6
Quinn - Great battle with Barton and didn't give an inch. Hope he stays in the team now. 8 Motm
Piazon - Ok but out of position. Could have scored but heading is not his forte. 6

Kermogant - Won everything in the air and was constantly giving Burnley problems. 7

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 Feb 2016 19:14

Royal_jimmy Barton should not be near a football pitch. Andre Grey is a cheating oxf*rd and the referee was awful.

Burnley looked nowhere near a top 2 side.

We were at best ok today. Our midfield was all pretty awful.

But did they look like a top 3 side?

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 13 Feb 2016 19:17

At half time Barton pushed Quinn down the stairs to the tunnel and then gave him a head but when Quinn retaliated. Nasty individual all round really.

Very petty from both teams all round today, Gray in his simulation antics and then Hal scuffing up the spot.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Feb 2016 19:25

West Stand Man ....if it was a penalty then AAH should have been booked (at least).

Why?

A decent enough game, and a great battling performance by our lot, even if they didn't show too much quality.

Pleased to see Quinn back in the side and hopefully he showed McDermott exactly why he should be one of the first names on his team sheet week-in, week-out.

I don't like to criticise the officials but todays ref really did have a shocker. How he kept his cards in his pockets for so long is beyond me and he really should be made to explain the lack of a card for Gray's kick. In this day and age that's a clear red.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Feb 2016 19:35

Royalwaster But did they look like a top 3 side?

Defensively we looked very sound today. Given their pace up front they were kept contained. On too many occasions today our passing was woeful. Though to be fair it was a new formation in terms of the players on the pitch. It was new to everyone. Hopefully we'll have the same starting 11 next week.

I'd prefer Williams instead of Quinn though. If nothing else than to have more goal threat.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Feb 2016 20:04

Westwood52 Kermit

Still think this is clever eh? Oh well, takes all sorts.

Delighted with a point and glad to see that Al-Habsi's save got all three stands up and singing in unison for the first time this season.

Initial thought was penalty so can see why ref gave it, but will be interested to see the replay as people with better views than I say dive.

Kermorgant was beyond dominant in the air today. I don't remember seeing a forward win that many headers in a game before. If he keeps doing that nippy attackers like Vydra and Rakels will have plenty to run on to.

Dyche is right, the pitch looks awful.

Special mention for Jake Coopers backwards header through the attacker's legs whilst flat on the floor in the North East corner in the first half.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 13 Feb 2016 20:17

Hoop Blah
West Stand Man ....if it was a penalty then AAH should have been booked (at least).

Why?

Because the nature of the foul (if it was one) is that it was preventing a goal scoring opportunity. It is pretty usual for those types of fouls (if it's was one) to draw a card of some colour.

Mind you, elbowing an opponent in the face might be seen as cardable too. As might kicking out at an opponent!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Feb 2016 20:18

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Feb 2016 20:26

This ref is one of those that TV commentators love because he "keeps his cards in his pocket".
He should have booked somebody earlier to stamp his authority on the game and he allowed Barton to run the game.
The 2 open goals and the missed penalty by Gray could have put Burnley out of sight but the players dug in to get a point.

I thought Brian could have brought our Dennis on much earlier-Kermorgant was winning a lot of the headers but neither Piazon nor Kanu were ever near enough to him to capitalise nor did they react.

So that is a measly 6 goals in 10 league games since Brian took over which is not good and the Radio Berks boys were suggesting before the game that unless we do better Brian's tenure may not be all that long (looking at the Thais decisions on managers so far)-after the game I thought the same people were OTT about a consecutive 0-0 at home and were going on about us now being o.k. at the back so it is just a matter of sorting the attacking part out, as if it was a fairly simple matter of just adding that on to our defensive game.
They didn't point out that we played 4 across the back plus 2 holding midfielders so the defensive part of our game should be stronger.

For all that Barton is the pantomime villain he was everywhere in the game (and even found time to referee it) and since Sidwell we haven't really had a similar central midfielder-the nearest we have is Quinn and Brian only plays him when others are injured whereas most of us would have his name as one of the first on the team sheet every week.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Feb 2016 20:28

Royal Ginger
Westwood52 Kermit

Delighted with a point and glad to see that Al-Habsi's save got all three stands up and singing in unison for the first time this season.

Initial thought was penalty so can see why ref gave it, but will be interested to see the replay as people with better views than I say dive.

Kermorgant was beyond dominant in the air today. I don't remember seeing a forward win that many headers in a game before. If he keeps doing that nippy attackers like Vydra and Rakels will have plenty to run on to.

Special mention for Jake Coopers backwards header through the attacker's legs whilst flat on the floor in the North East corner in the first half.

Regarding the headers did you never see Trevor Senior or Dave Kitson?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 13 Feb 2016 20:32

I have just realised which Piazon header is being commented on. It was given as offside so I am not sure why he is being castigated so heavily.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Feb 2016 20:51

Victor Meldrew
Royal Ginger
Westwood52 Kermit

Regarding the headers did you never see Trevor Senior or Dave Kitson?

Alright, perhaps i was a little hyperbolic, but he was right up there in that class today.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 13 Feb 2016 21:02

How is Dennis' name pronounced? Is it 'Raquels' or 'Rackles?'

It should be remembered that we were playing the team with the best form in the division! We didn't look worse than them, to be honest, and we could have won it. The defence looked far more assured than it has in other games I have seen and McShane and Cooper looked good together, with Hector playing well in front of the.. Quinn had such a good game against Barton, that Barton tried to cripple him by pushing him down the stairs. As far as Barton goes, he is something of a psychopath, but he is also a very good player, the sort that if he was playing for Reading, we would love him (Terry Hurlock, anyone?). As it is we hate him!!

I like what I've seen so far of Rakels, and hope that he starts against West Brom. We are starting to look like the team Brian wants, and I think (hope) that we will finish the season strongly.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Feb 2016 21:08

Hampshire Royal How is Dennis' name pronounced? Is it 'Raquels' or 'Rackles?'

I suspect the way the announcer pronounces it is correct.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Feb 2016 21:12

Royal Ginger
Hampshire Royal How is Dennis' name pronounced? Is it 'Raquels' or 'Rackles?'

I suspect the way the announcer pronounces it is correct.

"The Cannibal"

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Feb 2016 21:14

Put my thoughts on the match thread by mistake, here they are in the right spot.

Hard fought game full of errors from both sides and the ref. Burnley had the better chances and should have won but we deserved a point if nothing more.

Al-Habsi 9 MotM several good saves including the pen. Nothing wrong.
Gunter 7 same old Gunter
Obita 7 defended fairly well
Cooper 5 awful passing and gifted them a break
McShane 8 rock
Norwood 5 awful dead balls and poor passing
Hector 5 tries to bring it down but awful passing
Quinn 7 busy but not really sure what his role was until Norwood went off.
HRK 8 caused loads of problems but never anyone in the box
Piazon 5 lightweight and soft
Kermorgant 5 isolated and doesn't look like scoring

McCleary 5 off the pace
Rakels 7 little service but looks bright

Ref. Awful. Had no control at all. I don't really like the red card used for handbags, but it's the way it's used and when you kick out not once but twice you have to walk.

Yet again a team who fouls almost every break we get and barrly gets a card. Two or three times kick the ball away, nothing.

Not sure if it was a pen or not but it looked like a Johnson dive special may have been contact. Had no control of our players. Pushing and shoving everywhere. HRK hacking up the spot. Shambles.

It looks like none of the players believe we can score.

Burnley were as bad as us, but got some sitters (and spaffed them all).

Good point in the end.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Feb 2016 21:19

Ian Royal HRK hacking up the spot. Shambles.

Didn't see this from the North Stand, but if it is as you and Dyche said, it's deplorable and has no place in the game.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Feb 2016 21:20

Ian Royal Put my thoughts on the match thread by mistake, here they are in the right spot.

Hard fought game full of errors from both sides and the ref. Burnley had the better chances and should have won but we deserved a point if nothing more.

Al-Habsi 9 MotM several good saves including the pen. Nothing wrong.
Gunter 7 same old Gunter
Obita 7 defended fairly well
Cooper 5 awful passing and gifted them a break
McShane 8 rock
Norwood 5 awful dead balls and poor passing
Hector 5 tries to bring it down but awful passing
Quinn 7 busy but not really sure what his role was until Norwood went off.
HRK 8 caused loads of problems but never anyone in the box
Piazon 5 lightweight and soft
Kermorgant 5 isolated and doesn't look like scoring

McCleary 5 off the pace
Rakels 7 little service but looks bright

Ref. Awful. Had no control at all. I don't really like the red card used for handbags, but it's the way it's used and when you kick out not once but twice you have to walk.

Yet again a team who fouls almost every break we get and barrly gets a card. Two or three times kick the ball away, nothing.

Not sure if it was a pen or not but it looked like a Johnson dive special may have been contact. Had no control of our players. Pushing and shoving everywhere. HRK hacking up the spot. Shambles.

It looks like none of the players believe we can score.

Burnley were as bad as us, but got some sitters (and spaffed them all).

Good point in the end.

Disagree. Burnley looked ordinary and did nothing apart from con the ref in the second half.

If we had stepped up a gear in the last 15 mins instead of passing it to the opposition we would have had all 3 points?. Actually a bit disappointed.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Feb 2016 21:20

8)

165 posts