BFTG - WBA

170 posts
No Fixed Abode

Re: BFTG - WBA

by No Fixed Abode » 22 Feb 2016 13:31

I thought that Rakels was supposed to be a beast? Scrawny little tattooed bloke. :lol:

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 22 Feb 2016 13:50

Faithful Son If McClean feels so strongly about the British forces and our governments historic actions, why is he playing in this country? He seems happy enough to enjoy a very good wage and lifestyle in this country and whether he likes them or not, British soldiers have died/are dying so he is able to do so. Perhaps someone should remind him many Irishmen have also died defending these shores. Wearing a poppy one day of the year is the least he could (should) do to show a bit of respect and solidarity to the fans who ultimately pay his lavish wages. Players from other countries, including those from Argentina, have no such problems.

:|

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Feb 2016 13:58

No Fixed Abode I thought that Rakels was supposed to be a beast? Scrawny little tattooed bloke. :lol:

He's not a beast, he's just a fcuking gangster.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Feb 2016 13:58

You get me?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Feb 2016 14:12

Hoop Blah However, it is frustrating to yet again see this group of players (and some new ones) put in another good shift in a cup game without being able to do the same in the league.
+1
Although we have been missing Vydra and we do appear to be gradually improving, so the feelgood factor from this could lead the players and the fans on to greater results in the league - The passion shown by the likes of Al Habsi would endear them to the crowd, so they are more likely going to be being them if errors occur, which in turn will keep the players confidence high.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 22 Feb 2016 14:13

Winston Smith
Faithful Son If McClean feels so strongly about the British forces and our governments historic actions, why is he playing in this country? He seems happy enough to enjoy a very good wage and lifestyle in this country and whether he likes them or not, British soldiers have died/are dying so he is able to do so. Perhaps someone should remind him many Irishmen have also died defending these shores. Wearing a poppy one day of the year is the least he could (should) do to show a bit of respect and solidarity to the fans who ultimately pay his lavish wages. Players from other countries, including those from Argentina, have no such problems.

A lot of those soldiers might also say they were fighting so people in the future would have a right to choose how to express themselves whether it be by wearing a poppy or something else.

Catterick Royal

by Catterick Royal » 22 Feb 2016 14:58

Norfolk Royal
Winston Smith

A lot of those soldiers might also say they were fighting so people in the future would have a right to choose how to express themselves whether it be by wearing a poppy or something else.

Not sure that is true having lost mates in Northern Ireland, but respect your view. So are we saying an Afghani Player could play and not have to wear the RFC badge because it has the Forbury Lion on it which commemorates the Battle of Maiwand fought against the Afghans? Surely this is football not politics so players should just wear the shirt, respect the beliefs of the Country they have chosen to play in and keep their political views to themselves?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 22 Feb 2016 15:09

This sort of attitude really pishes me off.

Why do you consider someone who doesn't wear a poppy as being disrespectful? Everyone has the right to show their respect or acknowledgment in whatever way they see fit.

Not to mention that if you don't actually agree with the whole thing then fair enough, it's your view and that's fine.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 22 Feb 2016 15:19

Pepe the Horseman
No Fixed Abode I thought that Rakels was supposed to be a beast? Scrawny little tattooed bloke. :lol:

He's not a beast, he's just a fcuking gangster.

I was livid, that during the game he fouled someone and then went over, offered his hand and picked them up....prick should have smacked him clean in the chops

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Feb 2016 15:30

That has got to be my favourite Madejski experience for years; cracking seats (well standing position), great contest and great result. Great value for a tenner. Let's hope Tuesday can be as good.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 22 Feb 2016 15:33

he looks like an eastern European football hooligan

but his beastliness was always mental, not physical

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 22 Feb 2016 15:34

I struggle to respect anyone who chooses a career path in killing people. Subsequently I would never wear a poppy or want to be associated with it.

And that doesn't even take into consideration his background which completely explain why he wouldn't want to. Look into the troubles and you should figure it out.

In regards to Catterick royals point. Yeah you're right it is football not politics so why is a oxf*rd poppy on the shirt?

You bunch of oxf*rd sheep.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 22 Feb 2016 15:37

yeah!

Catterick Royal

by Catterick Royal » 22 Feb 2016 15:49

Jagermesiter1871 I struggle to respect anyone who chooses a career path in killing people. Subsequently I would never wear a poppy or want to be associated with it.

And that doesn't even take into consideration his background which completely explain why he wouldn't want to. Look into the troubles and you should figure it out.

In regards to Catterick royals point. Yeah you're right it is football not politics so why is a oxf*rd poppy on the shirt?

You bunch of oxf*rd sheep.

I respect your views. Some of us serve in the Army to protect this Country so you can have those views - so no problem with what you are saying - its my job to make that happen!!

The poppy is on the shirt to raise money for charity. The Poppy Appeal is run by the Royal British Legion to raise money.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 22 Feb 2016 15:56

I struggle to respect anyone who chooses a career path in killing people

I get that now, but what about back in the day when the people they were killing were only Nazis?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Feb 2016 16:14

I quite respect McLean for his reasons and principles to stand up for what he believes. His letter explaining his position explains it well.

I'd have a lot more respect if he wasn't so disrespectful at the same time. If he can't show a bit of respect for the national anthem because he hates all it stands for then he shouldn't be happy to work over here either.

Fans are well within their rights to give him abuse if he's going out of his way to be disrespectful to things they hold dear to them too. It's a double edged sword.

Catterick Royal

by Catterick Royal » 22 Feb 2016 16:19

Hoop Blah I quite respect McLean for his reasons and principles to stand up for what he believes. His letter explaining his position explains it well.

I'd have a lot more respect if he wasn't so disrespectful at the same time. If he can't show a bit of respect for the national anthem because he hates all it stands for then he shouldn't be happy to work over here either.

Fans are well within their rights to give him abuse if he's going out of his way to be disrespectful to things they hold dear to them too. It's a double edged sword.

Well said.......... I think that is what I was trying to say, but you did it better!!!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Feb 2016 17:17

It's not just that McLean is an IRA sympathiser but he is also a oxf*rd of the first degree-he has been sent off once if not twice this season and his petulant lunge at the player to get sent off v Bournemouth was cowardly and childish.
If Joey Barton gets booed for being Joey Barton so McLean will get booed for who he is.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Feb 2016 17:26

Watching the highlights again, a few things...

For the last goal, I was impressed with all three of Vydra, Piazon and Ola John.

Vydra was so clever running to the corner. I presume we all thought he was "just wasting time"
but both Piazon and John started on the edge of our box, and did very well to get back into the
attack. Considering John had just sprinted 50-60 yards he did well to then skin his man and set up
Piazon who finished well, as befits our most-clinical finisher.

I think Vydra's contribution shouldn't be underestimated.

=======================================================

On Norwood, as well as a decent game otherwise and his two assists,
he also one a crucial header which led to McShane's near miss. That shot
was on target but swerved wide.

Norwood also had the final pass for HRK's header that was tipped over

Fezza

by Fezza » 22 Feb 2016 17:55

Maneki Neko I get that now, but what about back in the day when the people they were killing were only Nazis?

I'll nibble!

The people they were killing were people.

Yes they may have been directed by the Nazi high command (also people, however evil), but they were fighting for their country for reasons they thought (from the information they were given by their rulers) was correct or because they felt they had no other choice.

Calling everyone in the German army at the time of the war a "Nazi" is about as accurate as saying that everyone in the British army today is a Tory.

War is foul and anyone that dies in it should be remembered so that maybe one day we'll learn that it's best avoided, about as likely as religious tolerance.

Personally I think that wearing a poppy is the right thing to do, but, McLean should be allowed to choose to do what he likes without censure. The British army didn't always cover itself in glory, either during the "troubles" or before. I can quite see how people from Ireland might still hold a great deal of enmity towards England!

nibble over...

170 posts