FA Cup Quarter-Final MATCH THREAD: Crystal Palace (H)

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

Re: FA Cup Quarter-Final MATCH THREAD: Crystal Palace (H)

by ManchesterRoyals » 12 Mar 2016 00:23

leon
Tails We rode our luck at times, and at times it was clear which team were the higher division - but this doesn't mean that they deserved to win. Its about converting your chances, Palace had theirs handed to them on a plate, gifted wrapped, courtesy of Dean. Objectively, Palace had their fair share of luck too (excluding the penalty), more composure by John in the first half and a better directed header and it *could* have been 2-0 Reading. Ifs, buts and maybes, sure.

Its a bit galling, though not unsurprising.

Yeah this.

There was a reason it was 0-0 after 85 mins. The premier league club couldn't score. They looked dangerous on the break but couldn't score until Cooper gave the ref a (ridiculous) reason to give a penalty.

We actually had more possession not that means much having sat through Adkins reign of boredom.

It summed it up for me when McShane was about head the ball and Hennessy went straight over the top of him.

That's a penalty. Oh no it's not it's a free kick to the goalkeeper. Fcuk off is it. What a load of shit.

Agree footballs become a load Bollocks

Never a free kick on the keeper and never a pen I thought it was a man's game

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 12 Mar 2016 00:31

Dick Habbin's hairdo Cox was very decent alone up top first half. Held the ball well and muscled when he had to. Good effort.

John totally anonymous in the second half. Crying out for Piazon for a bit of magic, without giving the ball away.

Our Omani international - masboot. Bloomin' marvellous.

Cooper looked a little lost all game and, although the pen was soft, it was.

Gunter and McShane were solid. HRK looked class when he had the ball, just not involved enough. Lots endeavour without any real quality from Quinn.

Hector...... umm..... let the player get the wrong side almost all the time.

Vydra lively for a couple of mins.

Can't say we didn't deserve. Biggest shambles is that pitch. Complete Sunday league. Mind you, if it was any better we would have been slaughtered.

Cox was largely ineffective, which we've always known. The only time he did get a touch was when he dropped deeper which defeats the object really. Pitch was not to blame. looked a Pen at the time, just seen video and even Coppell agreed, another day may not be given. Not Hectors best game. Rakels ? Really ..

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 12 Mar 2016 00:37

Avon Royal
6ft Kerplunk Naive from Cooper but its a penalty. They've been just that bit better than us, as expected.

Never a penalty in a million years.

Err it was given ... And we'd be squawking if the boot was on the other foot. We had decent chances but fluffed them, i'd rather Piazon than Cox, may have crafted something ..

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Mar 2016 00:41

Longhorn1970
Avon Royal
6ft Kerplunk Naive from Cooper but its a penalty. They've been just that bit better than us, as expected.

Err it was given ... And we'd be squawking if the boot was on the other foot. We had decent chances but fluffed them, i'd rather Piazon than Cox, may have crafted something ..

Err it's fairly apparent that you just want Brian to fail.

And you never did answer my question about how long you've been a reading fan....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Mar 2016 00:43

A penalty and a sending off.....that shouldn't have been

Killed off a decent cup tie...and as is so often the case....the underdogs are on the arse-end of it

That is all

Poor refereeing decision.....but, he only had that snap-shot in time.....not our afteranalysis

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 12 Mar 2016 05:38

Tails We rode our luck at times, and at times it was clear which team were the higher division - but this doesn't mean that they deserved to win. Its about converting your chances, Palace had theirs handed to them on a plate, gifted wrapped, courtesy of Dean. Objectively, Palace had their fair share of luck too (excluding the penalty), more composure by John in the first half and a better directed header and it *could* have been 2-0 Reading. Ifs, buts and maybes, sure.

Its a bit galling, though not unsurprising.

These are almost my feelings on the game exactly. The only thing I would add is I have often seen a better team undeservingly lose late and against the run of play. At worst we could have got a replay out of it. Dean was on the wrong side of the play, saw a little contact and that Cooper's arm was up a bit, looked like he hesitated a second (maybe consulting with the lino who was I am fairly certain just as on the wrong side of the play as Dean was) and pointed to the spot. I think if he had a clear view of it I really believe play would have been waved on. It was never a penalty, there was never enough contact with Cooper's arm to warrant Bolasie going down like he did, and the giving of one cost us a chance for a trip back to Wembley.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 12 Mar 2016 07:22

Cooper was daft to stick his arm out like that. He didn't need to, there was no way Bolasie would reach the ball. It was very soft BUT you can understand Dean giving it (especially how he been all game). This is where Cooper needs to learn to be a bit more subtle in stopping the run. McShane probably wouldn't have given that pen away due to his experience. Ultimately I think Copper panicked.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2016 07:32

Agreed. As long as he learns from it then all well and good.

Overall an OK performance but just lacking any attacking threat really (not really a surprise at the best of times with our strikers but when you're left with only one fit one and he has to lead the line on his own).

Too much respect shown and a lack of confidence in their own ability going forward.

Also don't think Norwood should have played, it seems to me he does not work well in that formation as his form has nosedived in the last month. Williams would have been a better fit in that role (but again that decision may have been made already given his recent injury).

Finally the referee was just awful.

Season over now. Hoping some interest can be maintained through youngsters getting some game time in what remains.

Summer can't come quickly enough.

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 12 Mar 2016 08:07

The penalty was outrageous. So was the TV panel. Ian Wright obviously biased towards Palace, fair enough. Coppell supposedly a foot in both camps, but came over as supporting Palace. Lineker, Murphy and Lawrenson as summariser on their knees to the Premier League.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Mar 2016 08:37

Longhorn1970
Avon Royal

Did you watch the game? How do you think Piazon would do as a lone striker?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 12 Mar 2016 09:59

Dai Brainbocs The penalty was outrageous. So was the TV panel. Ian Wright obviously biased towards Palace, fair enough. Coppell supposedly a foot in both camps, but came over as supporting Palace. Lineker, Murphy and Lawrenson as summariser on their knees to the Premier League.

Cooper shouldn't be sticking his arm out in that situation. Yes it was very soft but Cooper needs to wise up to what most players will do in that situation.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 12 Mar 2016 10:22

Keeper climbs all over Mc Shane as he is about to (legitimately) head the ball. Read: "I've never seen that before. I'd better give a free kick to the defending side(after all, they are the Premier League side)"

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 12 Mar 2016 17:45

Pepe the Horseman
Longhorn1970
Avon Royal

Piazon on pitch I meant, not as lone striker ..

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Mar 2016 18:13

The absolute hypocrisy of Palace fans saying the Benteke incident was a 100% dive but yesterday was a stonewall penalty.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Mar 2016 18:55

Longhorn1970
Pepe the Horseman
Longhorn1970

So why huff on about Cox, who would you have dropped for Piazon and who would you have put in Cox's place?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Mar 2016 19:42

I had to laugh at the Reading fans singing "You're going down with the Villa" during the first half. Meanwhile Reading are the same points off relegation as Palace. :lol: So Palace fans rightly replied "You're going down with the Charlton".

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Mar 2016 19:49

No Fixed Abode I had to laugh at the Reading fans singing "You're going down with the Villa" during the first half. Meanwhile Reading are the same points off relegation as Palace. :lol: So Palace fans rightly replied "You're going down with the Charlton".

How many wins and points have Palace picked up this year? They're close to freefall while we're holding steady.

Shit chant though I agree.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 13 Mar 2016 21:15

Ian Royal
Longhorn1970
Pepe the Horseman Did you watch the game? How do you think Piazon would do as a lone striker?

So why huff on about Cox, who would you have dropped for Piazon and who would you have put in Cox's place?

Same reason you bleat I suppose ! Cox has proved he is ineffective why persist with him when Piazon gives us a chance of scoring.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 13 Mar 2016 21:17

tidus_mi2 The absolute hypocrisy of Palace fans saying the Benteke incident was a 100% dive but yesterday was a stonewall penalty.

It happens we move on, had it been Vydra in the box taken out, it would be a pen right ? ..

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Mar 2016 21:44

Longhorn1970
tidus_mi2 The absolute hypocrisy of Palace fans saying the Benteke incident was a 100% dive but yesterday was a stonewall penalty.

It happens we move on, had it been Vydra in the box taken out, it would be a pen right ? ..

Hi Kes!

Waves