BFTG - Cardiff

135 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: BFTG - Cardiff

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Mar 2016 09:42

OldBiscuit
John Madejski's Wallet
oldebiscuit It's not offensive, but the fact that the colour of some ones skin still stands out as 'interesting' in this day and age is a little odd.
Myself, I just saw 22 players.

How do you manage to tell them apart?

Try big numbers on their backs for one.

And if they're side or front on? Or viewed from from back of the stands? Or if the team is wearing hoops that obscure the number?

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 20 Mar 2016 09:45

genome We will never achieve true equality until we all see hazy humanoid blobs

So what have you got against aliens?

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 20 Mar 2016 09:46

OldBiscuit
John Madejski's Wallet
oldebiscuit It's not offensive, but the fact that the colour of some ones skin still stands out as 'interesting' in this day and age is a little odd.
Myself, I just saw 22 players.

How do you manage to tell them apart?

Try big numbers on their backs for one.

That sorts the problem for ONE but what about the other 21?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 20 Mar 2016 09:50

Royal_jimmy Decent first half and probably should have been 3-1 up. Second half we were awful which was summed up by McDermott's poor subs. Their goal was a handball in the build up which was a joke. As it was a nothing game I am not so bothered about it.

We have 3 things lacking from this squad; they are pace on the counter, decent goal scoring strikers and tempo. I thought we played the game with more tempo today though.

This season has been a disaster and I still just feel that bringing Brian back was a mistake. Results have got worse and performances are no better than they were at the end of Clarke's tenure.

I fear for us next season.

+1

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 20 Mar 2016 09:54

tmesis Things we need to work on when on the break

1) when a teammate has the ball and is running forwards, run into a space so you can be passed to, rather than trying to run into you own player

2) when you try to pass to a player in space, try to pass to where you think he'll be when he makes his run, not where he was before he made his run

3) when a winger is on a break and looking to cross the ball into the box, it helps to run towards their goal, into the penalty area, rather than jogging over the halfway line.

4) if a player has made a break into the box, and is looking to cut the ball back, try to move into a space to be able to receive the ball, rather than standing still and just waiting for your teammate to lose the ball.

Spot on. No running into space. Also Its difficult to score when you have 2 men (at most) in their box and they have Six. Most of the time when we were attacking we still had 7 men in our own half!

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 20 Mar 2016 09:57

I really think HobNob gets into a mode of always finding fault

(The "We're Doomed! Scenario)

or it lurches the other way.

A side devoid of confidence, is mid-table,has just lost three on the spin
is home to a side in 7th and on the up who had just won 3 of their last four games

Surely that's pretty much an away banker?

But no, we get 58% possession, pretty even (11-12) on shots 5 shots on target
to their two, score an excellent goal and only lose to a handball and a slice of luck
for them when the ball comes back of the woodwork to their player rather than out of play.

As for Vydra being a 4 is that out of 4? He was extremely lively, dug a great volley
out of nothing and was denied by a reflex save. His break and sixty yard dash, was
superb even if he ran out of steam at the end.

And try to remember he's coming back from a hamstring injury

I can't figure out what people want. A 1-1 draw where we deserved to squeak it
isn't a bad result, nor was it a bad performance

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 20 Mar 2016 10:12

Snowball136 I really think HobNob gets into a mode of always finding fault

is home to a side in 7th and on the up who had just won 3 of their last four games

to their two, score an excellent goal and only lose to a handball and a slice of luck
for them when the ball comes back of the woodwork to their player rather than out of play.

As for Vydra being a 4 is that out of 4? He was extremely lively, dug a great volley
out of nothing and was denied by a reflex save. His break and sixty yard dash, was

Excellent post...

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 20 Mar 2016 10:50

Cheers!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Mar 2016 10:51

You know what? Maybe Vydra wasn't a 4, maybe he was a 5 or possibly a 6.

I'm just bored of him, I'm bored of thinking it might be his day and I'm bored of people making excuses for him. "Oh he puts in effort", "Oh he's not getting the service", which leads to that perennial favourite "He's on a different wavelength". Effort is commendable but not the primary reason he was brought here for and he's had plenty of service yet failed time and again, bar two tap ins. You'll probably point to his Cup record but those goals were a bonus, he was supposed to come here and be the major force in getting us promotion.

I'd rather see Cox come on, put in effort with little chance in front of goal. It's the same result for both players but at least Cox is our player.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Mar 2016 10:58

sandman

You know what? Maybe Vydra wasn't a 4, maybe he was a 5 or possibly a 6.

I'm just bored of him, I'm bored of thinking it might be his day and I'm bored of people making excuses for him. "Oh he puts in effort", "Oh he's not getting the service", which leads to that perennial favourite "He's on a different wavelength". Effort is commendable but not the primary reason he was brought here for and he's had plenty of service yet failed time and again, bar two tap ins. You'll probably point to his Cup record but those goals were a bonus, he was supposed to come here and be the major force in getting us promotion.

I'd rather see Cox come on, put in effort with little chance in front of goal. It's the same result for both players but at least Cox is our player.

There's a few differences with Vydra and Cox at the moment, Vydra's quicker, Cox is stronger. They're as likely to score as each other, but Vydra's playing at the bottom of his ability and something may spark, whilst Cox is playing at his ability so there's not much room for him to do better.

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 20 Mar 2016 11:01

Vydra (62) had a third of a game, forced a VG save from their keeps, made one hell of a break with a couple get skilz

I think Kermie forced one save in twice as long.

Vydra is having one of those runs most strikers get.

Harry Kane went how many games not scoring this season?

Doyle had long barren patches

Shane Long was pilloried for dry spells but came good.

I would LOVE Vydra to be one of our two front men on a permanent, and the two
told they'd be playing, develop a pairing.

We'll probably send him back and next season he'll bang in 25
for a Championship rival at our expense

The whole squad is goal-shy and if it hadn't been for ONE player having a purple patch
(Blackman) we would have a frighteningly low goals-for column and be bottom three/

If he's here next season (unlikely I know) and he's part of a working top two
and we start well I could see him as top-scorer in this league and us never out of the top six

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 20 Mar 2016 11:04

Ian Royal

There's a few differences with Vydra and Cox at the moment, Vydra's quicker, Cox is stronger. They're as likely to score as each other, but Vydra's playing at the bottom of his ability and something may spark, whilst Cox is playing at his ability so there's not much room for him to do better.

I don't even think Vydra's is playing that badly. His confidence is low,
his luck is out, but you can see and smell and feel the talent dam
waiting to burst. We're end-of-seas meh, now so it's even harder to
see him turning his ship round (which is a shame), but don't be surprised
to see him start next season with a bang, if he has got a move from Watford

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Mar 2016 11:11

But it's too late for something to spark, nothing meaningful is going to come out of this season now apart from possibly gaining a bit of momentum for next year. I agree that Vydra has been playing to the bottom of his ability. As I've said many times, every game he plays I think it might be his time but it never is and he's run out of time.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 20 Mar 2016 11:23

Snowball136 Vydra (62) had a third of a game, forced a VG save from their keeps, made one hell of a break with a couple get skilz

I think Kermie forced one save in twice as long.

Vydra is having one of those runs most strikers get.

Harry Kane went how many games not scoring this season?

Doyle had long barren patches

Shane Long was pilloried for dry spells but came good.

I would LOVE Vydra to be one of our two front men on a permanent, and the two
told they'd be playing, develop a pairing.

We'll probably send him back and next season he'll bang in 25
for a Championship rival at our expense

The whole squad is goal-shy and if it hadn't been for ONE player having a purple patch
(Blackman) we would have a frighteningly low goals-for column and be bottom three/

If he's here next season (unlikely I know) and he's part of a working top two
and we start well I could see him as top-scorer in this league and us never out of the top six

Agree with this. no striker as a god given right to find the back of the net. form is temporary class is permanent.
Jordan Rhodes being the prime example. he`s hardly setting the would alight since his move to Middlesbrough. 1 goal in 9 games I think. I would have Vydra here next season in a heartbeat. not convinced it will happen though.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 20 Mar 2016 11:24

Wow, im surprised at the reaction to the game. I really enjoyed it. Maybe it says more about my lack of footballing knowledge than our ability to play, but I was actually quite impressed at the response from the players.

McCleary looked stronger than he has done in a long time and John clearly has a lot of confidence at the moment, he was shooting every chance he got.

Good wing play and great effort especially from Danny and Quinn. I thought we looked really good. I was more excited by that game than I have been by a league game in a long time.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Mar 2016 11:32

Ady Williams was spot on after the game when he said it was ridiculous to blame the result on the handball. A fair bit of play happened after the handball and our players let him waltz through and shoot. Their man was then quickest to react.

We got the result McDermott's negative formation and tactics deserved. To blame the ref is a sign of McDermott and his supporters' increasing desperation.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 20 Mar 2016 11:33

Snowball136
Ian Royal

I couldn't give an oxf*rd how many goals he scored last season for Watford.
And as long as it's not with us, I couldn't give an oxf*rd how he plays next season.
He's been absolute shit for us, and there is little reason to think he'll improve. Get rid now.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 20 Mar 2016 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Mar 2016 12:02

P!ssed Off
Snowball136
Ian Royal

And as long as it's not with us, I couldn't give an oxf*rd how he plays next season.
He's been absolute shit for us, and there is no little reason to think he'll improve. Get rid now.

+1

Huge waste of money. He's missed so many chances that Alfie wold have banged in.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Mar 2016 12:25

Royal_jimmy
P!ssed Off
Snowball136

He's been absolute shit for us, and there is no little reason to think he'll improve. Get rid now.

+1

Huge waste of money. He's missed so many chances that Alfie wold have banged in.

Agreed. Tries hard, not a bad player but just hasn't worked out for whatever reason and therefore he's been a total waste of time and money. This loan period has reduced his value in the marketplace and he must be regretting the move as even if he'd stayed at Watford and been a bit part player he'd have a Wembley trip to be looking forward to.

But then it's always easier with hindsight.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Mar 2016 12:30

RoyalBlue We got the result McDermott's negative formation and tactics deserved.

Tried 4-4-2 at Brighton. Made no difference.

135 posts