Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Hull (H)

by Top Flight » 20 Apr 2016 15:07

RoyalBlue
Top Flight
No Fixed Abode
Good job BM has done steadying the ship Genome

McDermott has done a great job this season. He has managed to get a sh*t team over the finish line with a number of games to spare.

It's not like we weren't sweating on our divisional survival last year. We are sh*t and most of us know we are. Some of us still think we have talented players. They are wrong.

Only they will be proved right when those talented players start to perform well at other clubs next season.

And a mark of the damage that the owners and all below them, including BM, have done is that some on here are now starting to say that McDermott will have done well for us if we avoid relegation next season! :shock: :twisted:

I absolutely agree with you. Alot of damage has been done. Certainly by the previous owners. A little bit by the current owners, although perhaps unintentionally. I hope they genuinely have the clubs best interests at heart. I wouldn't include Brian McDermott in that. He has come in to try and fix things. To ludicrously expect that he can fix the mess of all that's gone on before him inside a few months is just nuts.

Hopefully the Thai's have learnt a few lessons themselves and will keep their Thai scouting network outside of team affairs. Let Brian select and mould a side in his own image. I hope they back him financially so that he can do that. As soon as you start giving him players that he doesn't really want like the Pog and Guthrie, Rakels, things start to go wrong.

Anton gave players that were not typical Reading players. The Thai's the same. Let Brian decide. He knows what he is trying to build. I hope the Thai's have learnt not to stick their beak in.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 20 Apr 2016 15:18

Given it was the Thai's appointed scout who found Rakkels it would seem they will continue to contribute to recruitment.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Apr 2016 15:19

That was a crap game played by two crap sides in front of a crap crowd.

Please end the season now and start rebuilding.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Apr 2016 15:24

I quite enjoyed it tbf.

Predictable mistakes/goals aside

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Apr 2016 15:25

+1 didn't think it was a crap game at all

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 20 Apr 2016 16:08

Armadillo Roadkill It was an OK performance undone by some moments of inept defending and a failure to convert the many, many good chances into goals.

Yes, we should have had a penalty. But hen Cooper should've probably been sent off. It wasn't down to the referee.

The "tactically inept" label is hard to pin on McDermott. It wasn't tactics that let us down, either last night, or in the previous defeats. It was defensive concentration throughout the whole 90 minutes and a reluctance to finish - too many times we were in good positions and players tried one more pass rather than trying to score.

Thought Cox was good, Rekels OK, Vydra not bad.

Hector and Norwood good. Quinn all energy and commitment.

John did all the hard work then got the easy bit wrong several times.
Cooper - how can I put this nicely? - a work in progress.

Can't fault the application. But the recent record is worrying.

We, ahem, move on.

Ola John did all the hard work ,-He wouldn't know hard work if it came and bit him on the arse.
He had a run of games after xmas and in the cup where he showed us what he can do, strangely since we've gone out of the cup he's given up, I still don't think he's played a full 90 minutes for us yet, and the excuse is he's not fit, well get friggin fit you're supposedly a professional footballer

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 20 Apr 2016 16:52

genome +1 didn't think it was a crap game at all

I agree. I thought it was an entertaining game and to say that we were 'just going through the motions' or 'playing out the season' is wide of the mark. We started very brightly and were competitive throughout the game. We were the better team in nearly all departments except the minor department that puts the ball in the back of the net!

It is true that there is a worrying lack of pace with Cooper and Ferdinand together but Ferdinand's positioning is usually good and Cooper will learn. His heading has always been strong of course but he is now directing them much better and scored our goal last night. McCleary played well, I thought, with very little support wide on the right. Taylor was OK. I noted that, during the first half, the new screen listed our line-up as including Al Habsi and Bond which was an interesting tactic but didn't stop them equalising! I wasn't at the correct angle to judge but it seemed that AAH hesitated before coming out of his goal and that may have been crucial.

Rakels reminded me of Stephen Hunt in that he was all over the pitch harrying and hustling the opposition all game. Vydra was pretty anonymous; Quinn worked hard as did Cox and both displayed some nice touches; Norwood was not as commanding as he can be in the centre but did OK and Hector was a solid and calming influence in midfield albeit with a few scary moments.

Kermorgant did OK when he came on but John didn't!! John seems to have lost his confidence and his few half-hearted attempts to beat his man were unsuccessful.

A frustrating evening but not without hope for the future.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 20 Apr 2016 17:29

Just 8 home wins again so far this this season. the same as the previous 2 seasons. add that to just 4 in the PL last time around. we have just 28 home wins in our last 87.less than 1 in 3, it`s not fortress Madejski hardly surprising the crowds are dwindling

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Apr 2016 17:31

windermere_royal Just 8 home wins again so far this this season. the same as the previous 2 seasons. add that to just 4 in the PL last time around. we have just 28 home wins in our last 87.less than 1 in 3, it`s not fortress Madejski hardly surprising the crowds are dwindling

Struggling team struggles to win.

Plus our fans are crap, jester-hat wearing gimps.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Apr 2016 17:42

Ian started off this topic with the "we were unlucky" statement.
As a reverse of the old Gary Player saying "the more I practice the luckier I get" it seems as though the more we play the unluckier we get.
It can't be bad luck when it happens so often.

Over the past 3 seasons I think our players have lacked concentration and that is all over the pitch and whether it is attacking or defending.
How many times have our defenders ended up looking at each other after a goal in a "I thought you were going to clear it" way?.
The same goes in the opposition box when there is a loose ball, "I thought you were going for it".

They lack of concentration and lack of application-a bit of ability just isn't enough.
Get rid of most, bring in a defensive coach once more and let's go again, possibly with a different manager.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Apr 2016 18:17

windermere_royal Just 8 home wins again so far this this season. the same as the previous 2 seasons. add that to just 4 in the PL last time around. we have just 28 home wins in our last 87.less than 1 in 3, it`s not fortress Madejski hardly surprising the crowds are dwindling

only lost 2 at home since xmas though... :lol:

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 20 Apr 2016 20:22

For some reason this feels like a defining game to end such a depressing season.

I have watched, then supported, RFC since 1947, yes that is 69 years!

No more. Any occasional visit to Madejski now will be to watch London Irish in the second tier of rugby. More fun.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 20 Apr 2016 20:33

Old Biscuitman For some reason this feels like a defining game to end such a depressing season.

No more. Any occasional visit to Madejski now will be to watch London Irish in the second tier of rugby. More fun.

Oh no.... Is it really more fun to watch London Irish?

What can Reading FC do to bring the fun back? What has put you off? The quality of the football must have been poor for a lot of those 69 years. What needs to change?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 20 Apr 2016 20:36

The reason I ask is because I don't enjoy football as much as I used to. And I want to know what your reasons are.

For me, it has nothing to do with results and the quality of football on the pitch. I've been watching Reading since the 80s. I've stood on the South Bank at games when only 1500 people showed up. So for me, it's not the quality of football or results that makes me not enjoy football as much anymore.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Apr 2016 20:58

Will95
No Fixed Abode "We support our local team"

Mate with sources said there was only around 9200 actually in the ground yesterday.

That would suggest 30% + season ticket holders didn't bother to turn up, which probably isn't far wrong when you take into account the <7 year old freebies.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 20 Apr 2016 20:59

I don't think Ferdinand is actually that slow. Agree that he isn't quick, but there aren't many Championship centre backs who are. One time last night in the second half, he was one on one with Hernandez and matched him for pace over 20-25 yards. He just has a pretty languid running style. I suspect, in a race over 30 yards, he would be quicker than Cooper, Pearce and Gorkss, and probably close to Ingimaarsson as well

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 20 Apr 2016 21:00

Top Flight
Old Biscuitman For some reason this feels like a defining game to end such a depressing season.

What can Reading FC do to bring the fun back? What has put you off? The quality of the football must have been poor for a lot of those 69 years. What needs to change?

I haven't done the 69 years but, do you know what, whilst the quality of the football was poor for decades, at least it was exciting and played with a passion. The only eras I can remember being nearly as poor as this are the dark days of Burns and Bullivant.

Before last night's game, Tim nice but dim Dellor was raving about how good our home form has been! Perhaps the club's 'truth police' reprogrammed him when he was summoned for his bollocking re Vydra!

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Apr 2016 21:03

Dont get that at all. Weve been more terrible for the majority of those 69 years.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Apr 2016 21:06

RoyalBlue
Top Flight

I haven't done the 69 years but, do you know what, whilst the quality of the football was poor for decades, at least it was exciting and played with a passion. The only eras I can remember being nearly as poor as this are the dark days of Burns and Bullivant.

Before last night's game, Tim nice but dim Dellor was raving about how good our home form has been! Perhaps the club's 'truth police' reprogrammed him when he was summoned for his bollocking re Vydra!

Hardly raving. Just said wed only lost one game since Xmas.
That isnt hyperbole or exaggeration
Its upper case FACT

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 20 Apr 2016 21:08

Top Flight
RoyalBlue
Top Flight
McDermott has done a great job this season. He has managed to get a sh*t team over the finish line with a number of games to spare.

It's not like we weren't sweating on our divisional survival last year. We are sh*t and most of us know we are. Some of us still think we have talented players. They are wrong.

Only they will be proved right when those talented players start to perform well at other clubs next season.

And a mark of the damage that the owners and all below them, including BM, have done is that some on here are now starting to say that McDermott will have done well for us if we avoid relegation next season! :shock: :twisted:

I absolutely agree with you. Alot of damage has been done. Certainly by the previous owners. A little bit by the current owners, although perhaps unintentionally. I hope they genuinely have the clubs best interests at heart. I wouldn't include Brian McDermott in that. He has come in to try and fix things. To ludicrously expect that he can fix the mess of all that's gone on before him inside a few months is just nuts.

Don't expect him to be able to fix all the mess inside a few months but just a tiny bit would be nice and I don't think he's even achieved that. Very few managers get to work exclusively with their choice of players before the 'jury' decide their fate. Decent managers have an ability to be able to improve what they've got (or at least the results). Warnock is a prime example. Most new managers can derive benefit from 'the new manager effect'. McDermott hasn't. What's more, I don't think he's helped himself by recruiting and then almost immediately losing Burton and sticking with an largely unproven and unqualified coaching team who appear to have contributed precious little of a positive nature.