Squad 16/17

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Squad 16/17

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Apr 2016 14:15

CountryRoyal
tidus_mi2 With Kuhl, it could just be the wrong club, after all we made Antonio and Afobe look bang average at this level and now look at them.

Easily one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here, and that takes some doing.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise Antonio and Afobe looked Premier League quality players here, no idea why the fans weren't up in arms when the club let Antonio go for such a low amount.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Apr 2016 16:13

tidus_mi2
CountryRoyal
tidus_mi2 With Kuhl, it could just be the wrong club, after all we made Antonio and Afobe look bang average at this level and now look at them.

Easily one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here, and that takes some doing.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise Antonio and Afobe looked Premier League quality players here, no idea why the fans weren't up in arms when the club let Antonio go for such a low amount.

Not about the club particularly, but about the stage in their development. Antonio was not at Premier League stage while he was here, or indeed for the next couple of years after that. He just wasn't ready. He wouldn't have been ready at any other club either. He wasn't being held back by the club he was at, but by his own development rate.

It's then a question of whether you hold a player back by keeping him when you have no room for him, which makes it harder for him to actually progress. We didn't throw him away, he wanted to leave, and to a club he'd been lent to, so essentially the club facilitated his development. Knowing you'll be treated decently by the club is a plus point for young players signing up with Reading, you don't want to get a reputation for letting players rot.

We were still getting money for him in the last set of accounts, so at least there was some kind of decent sell-on clause.

As regards Kuhl - yes it's early days, nevertheless it's not just about what he showed (or didn't) at Dundee Utd, it's about his performances in U21's as well. It doesn't look like he has progressed from where he was two seasons ago, which is worrying. I've got no idea how he's doing in training though.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 27 Apr 2016 16:44

Not about the club particularly, but about the stage in their development. Antonio was not at Premier League stage while he was here, or indeed for the next couple of years after that. He just wasn't ready. He wouldn't have been ready at any other club either. He wasn't being held back by the club he was at, but by his own development rate.

It's then a question of whether you hold a player back by keeping him when you have no room for him, which makes it harder for him to actually progress. We didn't throw him away, he wanted to leave, and to a club he'd been lent to, so essentially the club facilitated his development. Knowing you'll be treated decently by the club is a plus point for young players signing up with Reading, you don't want to get a reputation for letting players rot.

As regards Kuhl - yes it's early days, nevertheless it's not just about what he showed (or didn't) at Dundee Utd, it's about his performances in U21's as well. It doesn't look like he has progressed from where he was two seasons ago, which is worrying. I've got no idea how he's doing in training though.[/quote]

Theres another way of looking at it. Maybe RFC didnt get the best out of Antonio + Ofobe but other clubs did. Notts Forest, Sheff Wed fans thought we were mad to sell him.

Antonio didnt want to leave he was sold because we thought he was not good enough and could not guarantee him first Team Football.
If you are under contract you dont decide your leaving, the clubs does it is then up to the player to accept or not.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Apr 2016 16:56

muirinho As regards Kuhl - yes it's early days, nevertheless it's not just about what he showed (or didn't) at Dundee Utd, it's about his performances in U21's as well. It doesn't look like he has progressed from where he was two seasons ago, which is worrying. I've got no idea how he's doing in training though.

I've not seen much of the U21s this season but Kuhl's role depends a lot on the players around him feeding off him. Not saying that's an excuse for his lack of development, but it might be one of a number of factors.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Apr 2016 17:33

mambo3
Theres another way of looking at it. Maybe RFC didnt get the best out of Antonio + Ofobe but other clubs did. Notts Forest, Sheff Wed fans thought we were mad to sell him.

Antonio didnt want to leave he was sold because we thought he was not good enough and could not guarantee him first Team Football.
If you are under contract you dont decide your leaving, the clubs does it is then up to the player to accept or not.

Why do you say he didn't want to leave?
Remember Wednesday were two divisions below Reading when he got loaned to them. He was ready for L1, not for Premier League. He got promoted with them, came back to Reading at the end of the season and it certainly looked like he was angling for a permanent move.
Sheffield Wednesday came in for him 3 times that summer, and Reading only let him go when they matched their valuation. But when Antonio joined them he said something like - he'd been waiting patiently all summer for the deal to be done. Which does not sound like he was being sold against his will. Yes, Reading couldn't guarantee him first team football - because he wasn't good enough at the time, in comparison for the other options that were there.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2016 22:12

Vision
John Smith
handbags_harris I think I'd be happy with Tish, Fosu, Tanner and Samuel in and around the first team squad next season. They have all proven themselves at the level they're playing at and received excellent reviews wherever they've been on loan at so should now be given a chance in our first team.

Stacey I'd like to see out on loan once more as he's only done it over a few games at Carlisle. A season of consistent L2/L1 football will do him the world of good and give us an indication of whether he's ready to make the step up.

Kuhl has had a wasted season and a half, his time up in Scotland was a disaster but hopefully we can ship him out to a L2/L1 side and get him regular games. Sadly his early promise doesn't look to be coming to much at the moment based on what we've seen and there's no question in my mind he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team at the moment because he's done nothing to justify it since his baptism of fire.

Novakovich and Keown - I'd be wary of throwing them in at the deep end and would like to see them loaned for a season to see if they're ready for the step up. Novakovich has only played four games in the Conference this season (and Cheltenham didn't renew his loan which tells its own story in some ways) and Keown has had just two first team appearances in his entire football league career.

Blah blah blah. This was all said at the end of last season when we beat Derby and Stacey and Fosu had their impressive half hour cameos. Both currently on loan at League 2 sides, weren't ready then and won't be now. So for you to have the temerity to come on here and post things like that can only mean to me that your head is in the sand.

Is your head in the sand?

He said he doesn't think Stacey is ready.

And only the terminally baffled thought Fosu was ready to step into the first team properly after 45 minutes in a dead rubber for us against a team of chokers.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 28 Apr 2016 00:35

muirinho
mambo3

Why do you say he didn't want to leave?
Remember Wednesday were two divisions below Reading when he got loaned to them. He was ready for L1, not for Premier League. He got promoted with them, came back to Reading at the end of the season and it certainly looked like he was angling for a permanent move.
Sheffield Wednesday came in for him 3 times that summer, and Reading only let him go when they matched their valuation. But when Antonio joined them he said something like - he'd been waiting patiently all summer for the deal to be done. Which does not sound like he was being sold against his will. Yes, Reading couldn't guarantee him first team football - because he wasn't good enough at the time, in comparison for the other options that were there.

As much as a player wants to leave, he cannot leave if the club doesn't want to sale him or he would have to wait till his contract runs out. Wednesday, Notts forest and West Ham would prove your argument wrong.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 May 2016 19:07

Would love us to make one "out of the blue" signing like a Jason Roberts. I watched Cameron Jerome who's 31 against Arsenal. Such great ariel quality. He would be perfect. If Norwich go down he might be available...possibly?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Aug 2016 20:07

mambo3 Not about the club particularly, but about the stage in their development. Antonio was not at Premier League stage while he was here, or indeed for the next couple of years after that. He just wasn't ready. He wouldn't have been ready at any other club either. He wasn't being held back by the club he was at, but by his own development rate.

As regards Kuhl - yes it's early days, nevertheless it's not just about what he showed (or didn't) at Dundee Utd, it's about his performances in U21's as well. It doesn't look like he has progressed from where he was two seasons ago, which is worrying. I've got no idea how he's doing in training though.

If you are under contract you dont decide your leaving, the clubs does it is then up to the player to accept or not.[/quote]

And now he is an England squad member! Oops.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Aug 2016 20:22

West Stand Man
mambo3 Not about the club particularly, but about the stage in their development. Antonio was not at Premier League stage while he was here, or indeed for the next couple of years after that. He just wasn't ready. He wouldn't have been ready at any other club either. He wasn't being held back by the club he was at, but by his own development rate.

And now he is an England squad member! Oops.[/quote]

Pretty sure we were Afobe's first championship level loan. Subsequently went to a few more clubs before dropping down a division with MK Dons where he really started to develop.

Antonio showed glimpses of promise in his few cameos the season we let him go but at the time he was never going to consistently get in ahead of kebe/mcanuff. Had we kept him on the books and he didn't start regularly he more than likely wouldn't have developed into the player he is today.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Sep 2016 15:59

Now we have a 2016/17 squad, do we have 2016/17 chants in place?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Sep 2016 18:10

maffff Now we have a 2016/17 squad, do we have 2016/17 chants in place?

We're oxf*rd shitttt we're oxf*rd shit we're oxf*rd shit we're oxf*rd shittttt.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Nov 2016 21:45

Love Jaap Stam had a dream, but can we mix it up a bit?

How about Chumbawamba - Tubthumping.

"We've got Jaap Stam, and we'll go up again, you're never gonna keep us down"

https://youtu.be/QOe8H_7ibVY

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Nov 2016 21:46

CountryRoyal

We're oxf*rd shitttt we're oxf*rd shit we're oxf*rd shit we're oxf*rd shittttt.

Has it caught on yet pal?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 14 Nov 2016 22:10

That chant is right up there with the 'I want to go home' crap for tedium. Also see 'your support is oxf*rd shit'

I'm not the type to get offended by swearing at a football match, but the above is just sounds childish.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Nov 2016 22:49

A large dose of sarcasm in my post. Also don't like "you're support is oxf*rd shit" as coming from us I think its just a tad ironic/hypocritical.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 Nov 2016 14:22

West Stand Man

And now he is an England squad member! Oops.[/quote]

:| oh look, a player is quite good, years after we had him on our books. that means he was just as good when we had him, and we should have kept them forever. :|

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 Nov 2016 14:23

never going to consistently get in ahead of kebe/mcanuff

and rightly so

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Nov 2016 16:13

muirinho But when Antonio joined them he said something like - he'd been waiting patiently all summer for the deal to be done. Which does not sound like he was being sold against his will.
To be fair, that was as much about good PR than anything else. Players always say positive things about a club they join even if they have joined a sh*t club with an incompetent manager, a tightwad chairman, players who are crap and fans who are nothing more than a bunch of moaners..... we've seen it ourselves over the years when players sign for us!