BFTG Preston

127 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Preston

by PieEater » 30 Apr 2016 19:32

That was our last home game of the season yet the players played like they didn't give a oxf*rd

The team, back room and management is a shambles, we let a shit team like Preston take 6 pts off us.

I really wonder why I bother after 16 yrs as a STH.

We need a complete clear out and then build from academy players, I'm really losing touch with the club and owners.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 30 Apr 2016 19:37

'You'd be better off staying in bed today' said Mrs Marlow after I had contracted a streaming cold yesterday. 'No', I replied, 'It's the last home game of the season. I'll be OK. I mustn't miss it.'

Mrs Marlow was right!

Utter dross! If it hadn't been for heroics by AAH and incompetence by their front men we would have been 2 or 3 behind by half time. We made an average Championship side look like Barcelona. There first goal was a gift, courtesy (I thought) of McShane who stood still when he could have easily cleared the ball. And Johnson (who had a good game for them) should have been closed down for their second.

Cooper, Evans, Gunter, Norwood and McShane were all poor with misplaced passes and elementary errors. Kermorgant and Rakels never looked like scoring although both were trying to make runs that were never spotted by our midfield. Kermorgant was winning a lot in the air but there was seldom anyone to run onto his flick-ons. Rakels works hard but goes down too easily. Quinn and Williams were involved but were only OK (apart from Quinn's goal) and McCleary was all on his own on the right side. I assume Evans should have been supporting him in the first half but don't know who in the second. Barrett did nothing wrong and looked as if he cared.

We have, recently, lost or drawn many games that we should have won. This was not one of them! Even in the last few minutes, having equalised and therefore taken the momentum. they still looked the more likely to score (and, indeed, did!). The idiot who grabbed the ball and tried to run out of the stadium with it was very infantile but did provide a rare moment of entertainment. Mrs M is out tonight so I'm going to bed with a night nurse!
Last edited by marlowuk on 30 Apr 2016 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 30 Apr 2016 19:38

sandman Al Habsi - Kept us in it in the first half. Well deserved player of the season award. 8

McCleary - Different position but same story as the last two seasons, gets into good positions wastes the cross. Probably needs to move on to revitalise himself. 5
McShane - Absolute stinker. Failed to play to the whistle for the first goal and a weak header to give them the ball for the second. Infuriating to see him come back from a stupid suspension and turn in a performance like that. 3
Cooper - Shaky and lots of misplaced passes. 4
Gunter - Same on the left as he is on the right. Gets the ball, cuts inside and plays a negative pass. Two good opportunities to cross near the end and either under hits it or he shanks the ball too long. Not forgetting of course his old habit of turning his back and letting numerous crosses in. 4

Evans - Didn't really notice him. Anonymous. 4
Norwood - Not been at the races since the turn of the year and that continued today. Won't be too sad if he goes to Bournemouth and takes the "quarterback role" with him. 5
Quinn - One of the few who actually looked like he gave a fcuk. Well taken goal and kept the ball better than in recent weeks. 7
Williams - Lots of running around, not much of anything else. 5

Rakels - Another one who actually tried to show for the ball. Looks promising. 7
Kermogant - Held the ball up fairly well when we could string more than two passes together and get the ball to him. 5

Sub:

Barrett - MotM. Probably should give that to Al Habsi but Barrett gave some hope for the future. Hardly gave the ball away, was adventurous and looked like he wanted to play for his club. 8

What did actually happen for the 1st goal? Us plastics in the north stand couldn't quite see - looks like everyone stood still thinking it was offside?

Thought Evans was ok and will shape up to be good.
Rakels not as good as last week at QPR.
Barrett looks great - maybe that's youthful enthusiasm being on the big stage, but he had 2 very close chances and some fantastic through balls. At least he had a go.

Norwood was below par and very poor at times.
Williams - please JUST PASS THE oxf*rd BALL!
Wont be surprised if both of those go this summer.

Tactics today seemed very odd but on further analysis suggest what will happen over the summer - John must be off as he wasn't even on the bench, probably Taylor too since he wasn't started (surely you start him at LB and Gunts at RB?). And why no subs late on? 15 minutes to go we're 1-0 down and the on pitch team aren't doing it - you have to look at a sub surely ... and if the answer is we want to look for next year then why the hell were Vydra and Taylor there? Get them out and put some youngsters in there - I think the fans would understand that a lot more, even if you brought them on and lost (which we did anyway ...) at least it would show forward thinking.

FFS - another frustrating Saturday afternoon. I said to 3Points that I wouldn't know what to do with myself next weekend (no Reading and no son's footie) - well I do know. I will be relaxing at home and not getting pissed off watching dross.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Apr 2016 19:40

Super Kevin Bremner! McDermott after the game talked a lot about the scenario today summing up the last two years. Then he pretty much blamed everything on how it's been left before him. He's had 25% of the last two years so he's gotta stop blaming what was left before him. I wouldn't get this long in his wage to turn a team around in what I'm doing.

Josh Barrett was very impressive by the way. Reminded me a bit of James Henry. He looks a bit chunky which I guess is good and bad at that age. Can't see him doing 90 mins with his physique at the moment in professional football.

I was surprised to hear he is only 17. That didn't look like fat on him, it's muscle and I'm surprised that they have bulked up (or allowed such a young man) to bulk up like that.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 30 Apr 2016 19:44

RG7Fan
sandman Al Habsi - Kept us in it in the first half. Well deserved player of the season award. 8

McCleary - Different position but same story as the last two seasons, gets into good positions wastes the cross. Probably needs to move on to revitalise himself. 5
McShane - Absolute stinker. Failed to play to the whistle for the first goal and a weak header to give them the ball for the second. Infuriating to see him come back from a stupid suspension and turn in a performance like that. 3
Gunter - Same on the left as he is on the right. Gets the ball, cuts inside and plays a negative pass. Two good opportunities to cross near the end and either under hits it or he shanks the ball too long. Not forgetting of course his old habit of turning his back and letting numerous crosses in. 4

Norwood - Not been at the races since the turn of the year and that continued today. Won't be too sad if he goes to Bournemouth and takes the "quarterback role" with him. 5
Quinn - One of the few who actually looked like he gave a fcuk. Well taken goal and kept the ball better than in recent weeks. 7

Rakels - Another one who actually tried to show for the ball. Looks promising. 7
Kermogant - Held the ball up fairly well when we could string more than two passes together and get the ball to him. 5

Sub:

Barrett - MotM. Probably should give that to Al Habsi but Barrett gave some hope for the future. Hardly gave the ball away, was adventurous and looked like he wanted to play for his club. 8

What did actually happen for the 1st goal? Us plastics in the north stand couldn't quite see - looks like everyone stood still thinking it was offside?

That's what it looked like to me too (in the West stand). If so that is just stupid. McShane could, and should, have cleared it. I don't think (from memory of the action) that AAH could have got the ball.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 30 Apr 2016 19:45

Gunny Fishcake I cannot recall a new manager having such an ineffective complete unpositive impact in his team and appointment. That squad were good enough to produce results but he couldn't find the key.

Errr Adkins and Clarke? :|

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 30 Apr 2016 19:46

I always find its a course for optimism when a group of professionals allow themselves to get shown up by a teenager. Getting boring now.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Apr 2016 19:48

Gunny Fishcake Load of crap that typified our season, gutless don't give a toss performance from most of our so called players. Good riddance to this season and most of this squad and unless BM gets to team off to a good start next season he can clear off too. I cannot recall a new manager having such an ineffective complete unpositive impact in his team and appointment. That squad were good enough to produce results but he couldn't find the key. Love him or hate him look at the impact Neil Warnock had at Rotherham. I stayed for the so called lap of appreciation , it was more like a funeral procession , I just watched them , it was pitiful. As I left the ground I saw McCleary in his £100k Merc laughing and joking with his mate in his car as they left the ground, just about sums up football today , grossly overpaid players who don't give a flying toss about the club or for that matter their pride. If most people performed in their job like this lot has since Christmas they'd be sacked not laughing all the way to the bank.

I don't think it is a question of them not caring about the club, I just think a lot of them aren't true competitors and winners who compete to their absolute maximum, no matter what they are competing in, and who have to win, virtually at all costs. I would also include McDermott himself in the lacking that real competitive edge group (contrast to Colin!). Quiet spoken though he was, I suspect Coppell was a true competitor in everything he did.

George_

by George_ » 30 Apr 2016 20:01

Well that was pretty terrible.

Next season I just want to see players that care and are passionate about the club & fans. A good 75% take the pay check and couldn't care less.

I trust Brian to put that right this summer & believe he is the man for the job.

Very much IN for raiding the lower leagues for hungry young talent.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 30 Apr 2016 20:02

RoyalBlue
Super Kevin Bremner! McDermott after the game talked a lot about the scenario today summing up the last two years. Then he pretty much blamed everything on how it's been left before him. He's had 25% of the last two years so he's gotta stop blaming what was left before him. I wouldn't get this long in his wage to turn a team around in what I'm doing.

Josh Barrett was very impressive by the way. Reminded me a bit of James Henry. He looks a bit chunky which I guess is good and bad at that age. Can't see him doing 90 mins with his physique at the moment in professional football.

I was surprised to hear he is only 17. That didn't look like fat on him, it's muscle and I'm surprised that they have bulked up (or allowed such a young man) to bulk up like that.

Barrett has obviously been to the HRK school of big arses! Didn't realise he was only 17 - he is a bright light for the future!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Apr 2016 20:05

marlowuk
RG7Fan What did actually happen for the 1st goal? Us plastics in the north stand couldn't quite see - looks like everyone stood still thinking it was offside?

That's what it looked like to me too (in the West stand). If so that is just stupid. McShane could, and should, have cleared it. I don't think (from memory of the action) that AAH could have got the ball.

McShane thought Beckford was offside (nowhere near offside btw) so completely stopped which allowed him to go in and score.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 30 Apr 2016 20:08

RoyalBlue
Gunny Fishcake Load of crap that typified our season, gutless don't give a toss performance from most of our so called players. Good riddance to this season and most of this squad and unless BM gets to team off to a good start next season he can clear off too. I cannot recall a new manager having such an ineffective complete unpositive impact in his team and appointment. That squad were good enough to produce results but he couldn't find the key. Love him or hate him look at the impact Neil Warnock had at Rotherham. I stayed for the so called lap of appreciation , it was more like a funeral procession , I just watched them , it was pitiful. As I left the ground I saw McCleary in his £100k Merc laughing and joking with his mate in his car as they left the ground, just about sums up football today , grossly overpaid players who don't give a flying toss about the club or for that matter their pride. If most people performed in their job like this lot has since Christmas they'd be sacked not laughing all the way to the bank.

I don't think it is a question of them not caring about the club, I just think a lot of them aren't true competitors and winners who compete to their absolute maximum, no matter what they are competing in, and who have to win, virtually at all costs. I would also include McDermott himself in the lacking that real competitive edge group (contrast to Colin!). Quiet spoken though he was, I suspect Coppell was a true competitor in everything he did.

Next year the high earners will be gone. Also a quick message to the club - when we are in the top league and sign players on top league wages PUT A oxf*rd RELEGATION CLAUSE IN so that it costs next to nothing when we get relegated, or better still make it performance pay : results, goals scored, passes made, tackles. Anything other than just turn up and get £10k.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 30 Apr 2016 20:09

genome
marlowuk
RG7Fan What did actually happen for the 1st goal? Us plastics in the north stand couldn't quite see - looks like everyone stood still thinking it was offside?

McShane thought Beckford was offside (nowhere near offside btw) so completely stopped which allowed him to go in and score.

So that's a lesson to all young players - play to the whistle. No whistle - no offside / foul. What a Tit!

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 30 Apr 2016 20:13

3points Why the oxf*rd did Brian not make more substitutions. There were so many bad performances on the pitch. Why not give Watson a 20 minute run? If Cooper had been a horse today, they would have put him down. Gunter is just embarrassing. One time he was through in their box, and on his right foot. But never did he look like he would try to shoot. I'm gutted we let him sign a new contract. I think he's one of the worst full backs I've seen in the Championship this season.

I still think the Norwood - Williams midfield combo is at the heart of our problems for the past two seasons. I would have replaced Willaims after half an hour today. He did absolutely nothing. At least last week at QPR Cox was finding space and offering the midfield an outlet, playing between the lines, getting into the box and also did as much defensively as Willaims did today. I really hope he leaves in the summer.

I also wonder if we would be higher up in the league if McShane had been partnered with Ferdinand a lot more this season. Cooper just looks like a mistake waiting to happen every game now.

Yes - this. Losing with 15 to go - you have to shake things up, if it doesn't work then so be it, but it hadn't worked for the previous 75 mins.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 30 Apr 2016 20:57

Barrett MOTM, a real talent remember when he was on the bench vs Preston not really knowing too much about him.
Rakels, Al Habsi, Quinn were not bad.
Cooper and Mcshane had a bad day today, Gunter get piss off now he is shite and was :oops:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Apr 2016 21:02

Gunny Fishcake Load of crap that typified our season, gutless don't give a toss performance from most of our so called players. Good riddance to this season and most of this squad and unless BM gets to team off to a good start next season he can clear off too. I cannot recall a new manager having such an ineffective complete unpositive impact in his team and appointment. .

I wish I could have forgotten Clarke and Rodgers too.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 30 Apr 2016 21:04

Christ, that was as poor a display as any put in over the last 4 years.

Dreadful defending, static midfield, no width and no penetration.

I can see why Brian took Evans off at half time, but a change in shape was also needed. Their 5-man midfield ran rings around us all afternoon - Johnson in particular was continually allowed way too much space.

Finally, I don't think I've seen a Reading team with such poor technique as this one. I don't mean the fancy-Dan stuff, but the basics: trapping, control, passing, movement. All of them just seem incapable of doing any of these things remotely competently. And yet, we're playing a system that absolutely demands good technique. It's time we ditched the obsession with possession and moved back to a way of playing that better suits our bunch of cloggers.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Apr 2016 21:05

If Barrett gets a go, Sam Smith must be worth a shout. 20 goals in 28 apps for the U18's this season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Apr 2016 21:09

marlowuk
RG7Fan

Sub:

Al-Habsi started to come, so McShane inexplicably stopped (I didn't see any appeal for offside), Al-Habsi decided he couldn't make it so he stopped, Beckford didn't. Clusterfuck.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Apr 2016 21:45

Crackin goal from Quinnie.....a couple of sublime saves from AAH....that was it

127 posts