McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

565 posts
Fezza

Re: McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

by Fezza » 27 May 2016 12:41

Not sure I want a manager in who was banned for taking drugs!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 May 2016 12:42

Anyone who thinks our form under McDermott was irretrievably bad should note that our bad spell at the end of the season saw us take 9 points from 13 matches.

In 2004/05, we took 10 points from 13 matches.

In 2005/06, we won the league with a record number of points.

If the Thais had been in charge back then, Coppell would have been sacked before he had the chance to work his magic.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 27 May 2016 12:43

Top Flight
RoyallyFcuked
Hoop Blah I'm worried for Top Flight....

Rumour has it that he (predictably) didn't take the news too well, and promptly launched himself off a cliff upon hearing it.

We won't be seeing him on here again.

I don't know what to say...

I'm gutted.

That rumour I heard can't have been true then. Glad to see that you are still about.

Cheer up pal, this may not be a bad move after all.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 27 May 2016 12:44

TFF This club is now everything I once took pride in it not being.

Changing landscape of soccer, I personally don't agree with it but nobody seems able to regulate it either ..

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 27 May 2016 12:44

LWJ
RoyallyFcuked Let's pretend for a minute that another manager had come in and done exactly what Brian has done since he has been back. Would we be saying this guy deserves a chance to build a squad over the summer? Or would we be saying lets start afresh in the summer and give someone else with new ideas a chance instead?

I would be in exactly the same camp. If you think 6 months, 1 January transfer window is enough to rebuild a squad shattered of confidence then you are deluded.

He should have been given the summer and then a minimum of 15 games into the season.

Exactly this. We all knew there were a lot of problems within the squad that the manager should have had the time to correct them and build his own team, with a fairer assessment being carried out about Christmas.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 27 May 2016 12:45

RoyallyFcuked
Top Flight
RoyallyFcuked
Rumour has it that he (predictably) didn't take the news too well, and promptly launched himself off a cliff upon hearing it.

I'm gutted.

That rumour I heard can't have been true then. Glad to see that you are still about.

Cheer up pal, this may not be a bad move after all.

All will be forgotten when we're top at Christmas !

Archer

by Archer » 27 May 2016 12:47

TFF This club is now everything I once took pride in it not being.

We'll said. Remember when we rolled our eyes at the Leeds and Charltons of this world? Now we are one of them.

I was so proud of what the club achieved with the Reading way. Seeing what Coppell and Hammond built getting torn down isn't much fun.
Last edited by Archer on 27 May 2016 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 27 May 2016 12:49

Top of the what, Pops? Next season has to be the least looked forward to season for me in 25 years. Newcastle and Villa will walk it with the money they have available and the squads they can keep together. We're all hoping for a play-off. The man wont have a hope in hell and if they demand promotion next season we'll be in this postition again within 9 months.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 May 2016 12:49

LWJ Yet to renew and now considering it because I don't agree with how we are being run. It has nothing to do with Brian. It could have been anyone who we had employed in DECEMBER (6 (SIX) months ago)

Agree

It doesn't matter if you supported BM or not, or whether you wanted him to stay, or not. He's been treated abysmally.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 May 2016 12:50

BR2
Top Flight
RoyallyFcuked

I'm gutted.

At least the rest of us are saved from reading your hundreds of posts about Brian keeping us up next year and that in itself being good enough.
Will you say the same about the new managaer or do you expect a return to the.....top flight?

The Thais actions suggest that they are ready to spend millions on taking us back to the top flight. If they are not about to spend millions and actually don't have any money, then what they have just done in sacking McDermott is completely mental. If next season's recruitment will be like what we witnessed last season, I can't see us staying up. We are certs for the drop.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 27 May 2016 12:50

bobby1413
LWJ Yet to renew and now considering it because I don't agree with how we are being run. It has nothing to do with Brian. It could have been anyone who we had employed in DECEMBER (6 (SIX) months ago)

Agree

It doesn't matter if you supported BM or not, or whether you wanted him to stay, or not. He's been treated abysmally.

But how can you categorically say that when you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes? :lol:

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 27 May 2016 12:53

Our club is fast becoming a joke and that ship is really starting to sink now.

Results haven't been the best, but can the owners say that Brian was really given a chance to build his own team?

I hope im wrong but these Thais seem utterly clueless, next it will be Steve Clarke or Adkins back at the helm.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 27 May 2016 12:53

LWJ
RoyallyFcuked Let's pretend for a minute that another manager had come in and done exactly what Brian has done since he has been back. Would we be saying this guy deserves a chance to build a squad over the summer? Or would we be saying lets start afresh in the summer and give someone else with new ideas a chance instead?

I would be in exactly the same camp. If you think 6 months, 1 January transfer window is enough to rebuild a squad shattered of confidence then you are deluded.

He should have been given the summer and then a minimum of 15 games into the season.

Not saying it is, but there were signs of improvment under Clarke when he joined in similar circumstances, there have been no signs of improvement under Brian.

You say that but you wouldn't be that bothered if we gave someone else a chance. The only reason everyone is up in arms about it is because its not just anyone, its Brian.

More than likely we would have been approaching Christmas in the bottom third of the table so they would have sacked him anyway, better to make the decision now rather than risk wasting another season.
Last edited by RoyallyFcuked on 27 May 2016 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 27 May 2016 12:56

Happy with this, as I never wanted him to return in the first place. It always felt like an SJM decision to reappoint him.

I just hope that the next manager appointed will be the right one.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 May 2016 12:56

If Jaap Stam comes in how can we be sure that it's not just Brian with a bit of a plastic surgery upgrade?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 May 2016 12:58

No Fixed Abode
bobby1413

Agree

But how can you categorically say that when you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes? :lol:

I can't categorically say it.

Your post could be made and said to ANY football supporter about ANY football subject.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 May 2016 13:00

RoyallyFcuked
LWJ

Not saying it is, but there were signs of improvment under Clarke when he joined in similar circumstances, there have been no signs of improvement under Brian.

You say that but you wouldn't be that bothered if we gave someone else a chance. The only reason everyone is up in arms about it is because its not just anyone, its Brian.

More than likely we would have been approaching Christmas in the bottom third of the table so they would have sacked him anyway, better to make the decision now rather risking wasting another season.

Clarke improved our defence but destroyed our attack. McDermott slightly improved things from the back end of Clarke's spell and produced some really good performances from the team. We saw big improvements from several individuals, most notably Al-Habsi.

I see no reason to believe that sacking McDermott has improved our chances of finishing above the bottom third. It's not like we're going to appoint someone with a better track record.

And I love how you think you know what other people would feel like better than they know themselves :lol:

royal67

by royal67 » 27 May 2016 13:00

I wish I could say that Brians departure came as a shock but to be honest I think that it was fairly inevitable. As to whether the timing is appropriate or not is debateable but, as people have already suggested, taking this action does demonstrate some intent by the club to try and improve results and performance levels. What is critical at the club now is some stability, 2-3 seasons with the same manager at the helm and empowering them to make the required recruitment decisions.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 27 May 2016 13:01

RoyallyFcuked
LWJ

Signs of improvement under Clarke?

Our position 30/12/14:
16 Reading 24 8 5 11 30 40 6 2 4 19 13 2 3 7 11 27 -10 29

Our finishing position 14/15:
19 Reading 46 13 11 22 48 69 8 5 10 24 25 5 6 12 24 44 -21 50

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 May 2016 13:01

Although I am really saddened by BM being sacked... I am at least satisfied that they've done it now, rather than after 6 games next season

565 posts