New manager odds

354 posts
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager odds

by Top Flight » 07 Jun 2016 11:56

CountryRoyal I know completely irrelevant now but Mick McCarthy lead Ipswich to a 14th, then 9th, 6th and 7th finish respectively in his almost 4 seasons in charge, joining in late November the first season AND haven't paid over £1m for anyone, only recently spending the most at 3 quarters of that.

In addition the Tractor Boys have paid the League Two outfit £750,000 - a record fee under boss Mick McCarthy with Webster having signed a three-year contract.

He's a good manager Mick McCarthy. Not an exotic or exciting name. But, like Brian, he can get good results and outcomes for the team he is managing with limited resources. A perfect fit for a club like Reading or Ipswich.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Jun 2016 12:31

I did wonder if the Thais decided to sack McDermott so quickly because they were never truly convinced he was the right man for the job and just went with Howe's suggestion due to his knowledge of the club.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Jun 2016 13:00

tidus_mi2 I did wonder if the Thais decided to sack McDermott so quickly because they were never truly convinced he was the right man for the job and just went with Howe's suggestion due to his knowledge of the club.

Apparently they simply viewed him as a safe pair if hands to get us to the summer. Was never considered for long term, (unless he brought an instant and obvious turn around in form.)

Harsh. But sensible tactics, I guess.
Reduce the disruption. Give em time to time up with a plan

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 07 Jun 2016 13:15

Maneki Neko
tidus_mi2 I did wonder if the Thais decided to sack McDermott so quickly because they were never truly convinced he was the right man for the job and just went with Howe's suggestion due to his knowledge of the club.

Apparently they simply viewed him as a safe pair if hands to get us to the summer. Was never considered for long term, (unless he brought an instant and obvious turn around in form.)

A little unfair to use Brian in that way. Brian thought he was coming to implement a 3 year project.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Jun 2016 14:36

Top Flight
Maneki Neko

A little unfair to use Brian in that way. Brian thought he was coming to implement a 3 year project.

Not sure there are too many successful business men/women that care about 'being fair'.

Crux

by Crux » 07 Jun 2016 14:38

But there are many pragmatic ones.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jun 2016 18:36

Maneki Neko

That worked. :|

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Jun 2016 18:55

Ian Royal
Maneki Neko

The in season disruption

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jun 2016 18:59

Maneki Neko
Ian Royal
Maneki Neko Apparently they simply viewed him as a safe pair if hands to get us to the summer. Was never considered for long term, (unless he brought an instant and obvious turn around in form.)

The in season disruption

Yeah, that extra week and a half would have been stupendous compared to a couple of signings from someone you were going to bin and yet another direction change in training.

How about being honest with that initial appointment as well so people know what to expect.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 07 Jun 2016 20:13

CountryRoyal
Top Flight
Maneki Neko Apparently they simply viewed him as a safe pair if hands to get us to the summer. Was never considered for long term, (unless he brought an instant and obvious turn around in form.)

Not sure there are too many successful business men/women that care about 'being fair'.

John Madejski was always fair.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jun 2016 20:26

Top Flight
CountryRoyal
Top Flight

:lol:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 07 Jun 2016 20:45

Ian Royal
Top Flight
CountryRoyal

What unfair decisions did he make then?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Jun 2016 20:59

Ian Royal
Top Flight
CountryRoyal

Top flight you do spout some shite at times, but this might just take the biscuit. :lol:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 07 Jun 2016 21:12

Really?

When it came to the sacking of managers. I never felt that any of his sackings were unfair on the manager who got the chop. He can't be accused of not giving a manager a chance? Or can he?

I wouldn't have sacked Quinn and Gooding and I wouldn't have sacked Bullivant either. But I don't think it was unfair of the Mad Man to axe those bosses. They had a decent enough chance. I would have given them a bit more of a chance.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Jun 2016 09:41

Top Flight I wouldn't have sacked Bullivant either.

Bullivant wasn't sacked, hth

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Jun 2016 09:53

He was humanely put down

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 08 Jun 2016 09:54

What do you mean Bullivant wasn't sacked? I thought he was. Now I have had to check my facts. So I dug up this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3243255.stm

In this article, it clearly states that Terry was sacked.

Myth of the managerial merry-go-round
By Tom Fordyce

Glenn Hoddle might not want to hear it, nor George Graham or Trevor Francis. But the chances of a sacked manager finding work elsewhere are slimmer than ever before.

12 MONTHS OF SACKINGS
A graph showing the number of football managers out of work
Where are the 33 managers sacked in the last year?
Statistics collected by the League Managers' Association show that, of the 225 managers dismissed over the past five years, only 28 are now in charge of league clubs.

And as our graph shows, of the 33 men sacked in the last year, 28 are still out of work - including such luminaries as Hoddle, Jean Tigana, Terry Venables and Howard Wilkinson.

The figures make a mockery of the idea of a managerial merry-go-round, where the same old faces are re-employed whatever their track record.

Yet they come as no surprise to former Liverpool and Swindon manager Roy Evans, who was sacked by the Anfield club in November 1998 after four years in charge.

"Football is a precarious business, and everyone who goes into it knows the pitfalls. But a lot of managers who lose a job find it difficult to get back in," Evans told this website.

"I came out of my ideal job at Liverpool having worked there for 35 years, and when I came out people seemed to think I was a one-man club, even though ultimately that wasn't true.

"I should have had an agent, as some managers do, who would put your name forward for lots of different jobs.

"But I didn't do that - I thought, well, if people want me, they will phone me up. But that doesn't happen these days. You need an agent to push your name forward.

"You or I could in theory write to any chairman at any time to put our name forward. But you tend not to do that.

"I have a managerial reputation which I think is okay. I think Liverpool did okay while I was there, and my only regret is that we didn't win the championship.

Roy Evans watches a game from the dugout
There is so much experience that is now going to waste
Former Liverpool manager Roy Evans
"But people only think of you for jobs if you're under their noses. Some chairmen are well in there with certain agents, and if the agent puts your name in the frame you're in with a better chance.

"The more chairmen you get pushed in front of, the better. And that's unfortunate if you're not that type.

"The media throws your name into that hat, but only for the first few months. I know so many managers who have great ability and would do really well, but who don't have jobs."

So why are chairman reluctant to hire such experienced campaigners?

"Directors these days prefer someone who has just hung up their boots, because recently retired players can be cheaper options than old hands," says Evans.

"But as in any walk of life, be it broadcasting, running a restaurant or football, experience is a wonderful thing that you just can't buy.

"A lot of managers over the age of 50 have been through the mill - they've done a few managerial jobs, they've been coaches, they've been trainers - they have seen all sides of the industry.

"Sometimes when a player goes straight into management, he hasn't dealt with lots of the things that go on in football."

Some managers drift back into football through coaching or scouting roles, in the way that Jim Smith, sacked as Derby manager in October 2001, is Harry Redknapp's assistant at Portsmouth.

Glenn Hoddle puts his hand to his head
Hoddle desperate to return
But as Evans explains, that is far from the ideal path for many ex-managers.

"Having been the number one and been in charge of a club - particularly if they're a big club like Liverpool - it's very hard to go back down and be a coach or scout under someone else," he says. "It certainly wouldn't interest me.

"Football has been good to most of us, and some of us have made good money, but there is so much experience that is now going to waste.

"There's media work, which has been a life-saver for many ex-players and managers, as well as work for clubs on the corporate entertainment side.

"Both of those can bring in a little money. But for a lot of managers, there isn't much out there."

The example of former Brentford and Reading manager Terry Bullivant illustrates Evans' point.

After being sacked by Reading, Bullivant took a job as coach at Brentford and then moved on to a similar position at Crystal Palace.

When Palace manager Steve Kember was sacked at the start of this month, Bullivant was also given his marching orders - which justified his decision of a few years ago to keep up his taxi-driver's licence as an alternative source of income when football has turned its back.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 08 Jun 2016 09:59

Odds on Zola and Grant are falling whilst Stam is drifting

So i don't think Stam is a nailed on certainty

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Jun 2016 10:15

Top Flight What do you mean Bullivant wasn't sacked? I thought he was.

*snip*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Bullivant

He later managed Barnet and Reading, before resigning following a run of poor results.

http://www.royals.org/bully-interview.html

Bullivant's Interview - Two Days After His Resignation

Bullivant threw the blame for his resignation at Reading fans on the Internet.

And from the official site:

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 32901.aspx

Bullivant resigned in March 1998 and was replaced by Tommy Burns

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 08 Jun 2016 10:32

What is a more credible source? The BBC? or Reading FC?

I'll give you this one Genome.

354 posts