Re: An analysis of Reading's current situation

by Focher » 03 Jun 2016 11:20

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Jun 2016 11:28

Royal1988 Firstly, I would like to say etc etc etc

A summary for the "I'm not reading all that" clique = We're screwed.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Jun 2016 11:30

A benchmark has been set for all newbies, that's how you do it. Start with a powerpost and everyone forgets to respond fcuk off newbie

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 03 Jun 2016 11:38

The quality of quoting on this thread is horrific. Stop quoting the entire first post :lol:

1) Oxf*rd off newbie.
2) Welcome
3) You've spent a lot of time thinking about this, but with so much repetition of the same words within sentences (overuse of squad.. team.. etc) I switched off about halfway through.
4) Sorry.
5) Not sorry.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Jun 2016 11:45

Having read the opening post in full for a second time, I hope getreading.co.uk get in touch with a view to copy/pasting it in it's entirety onto their sports page.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Jun 2016 12:08

NewCorkSeth Ok my only other question is about royal elm park. The only other club I can think of that did a similar thing is Franchise FC. Hasn't that actually helped them somewhat? They have a fairly quality academy producing some talented youngsters. Could some of this not be put down to the increased income? Dele alli, Brendan Galloway, sheyi ojo there's probably others.. I just think a lot of people are pessimistic (not unreasonably) about this development but it could equally have a positive effect right?

Another analogy, though not in football, is Wasps. I was involved in that deal and it is currently working perfectly for them. Maximising income, especially outside of match days, which helps support the financial drain of professional sports teams with a view to making money by developing land on or close to the Ricoh Stadium.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jun 2016 12:15

3points
NewCorkSeth Ok my only other question is about royal elm park. The only other club I can think of that did a similar thing is Franchise FC. Hasn't that actually helped them somewhat? They have a fairly quality academy producing some talented youngsters. Could some of this not be put down to the increased income? Dele alli, Brendan Galloway, sheyi ojo there's probably others.. I just think a lot of people are pessimistic (not unreasonably) about this development but it could equally have a positive effect right?

Another analogy, though not in football, is Wasps. I was involved in that deal and it is currently working perfectly for them. Maximising income, especially outside of match days, which helps support the financial drain of professional sports teams with a view to making money by developing land on or close to the Ricoh Stadium.

Perhaps it's something many clubs throughout sport are moving towards? From the outside it looks to me a sensible idea. But what would I know!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Jun 2016 12:23

NewCorkSeth Just a quick point (I'm half way through and may return to add to this later) is Danzell signing indicative of the owners wanting to be in control of transfers or is it our current dutch DOF signing players he's familiar with thus doing his job?

Ok my only other question is about royal elm park. The only other club I can think of that did a similar thing is Franchise FC. Hasn't that actually helped them somewhat? They have a fairly quality academy producing some talented youngsters. Could some of this not be put down to the increased income? Dele alli, Brendan Galloway, sheyi ojo there's probably others.. I just think a lot of people are pessimistic (not unreasonably) about this development but it could equally have a positive effect right?

Can you really not think of any other clubs that have developed land around their ground to provide additional income ?
Chelsea are an obvious example.
Hull and Bolton both did it years ago at their previous grounds.
We did it when we built the Mad Stad (Although we took the cash up front rather than developing something for long term income)
Clears if REP is used to generate long term significant income for the club (as the owners have said it will) then it is positive, with the transport issue an offsetting negative.
But if you decide you don't trust the owners and think they will just divert all the profits to their own personal accounts then it's not a good thing.
There's no evidence they will divert the money, and the club have already earned millions from the plan. But there is certainly a concern amongst some sections about the intentions.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Jun 2016 12:30

I'm sure their intentions are good. But they are making terrible decisions on the footballing side.

Their lack of experience and knowledge is going to get us relegated next season. If what, I think it was Handbags Harris or someone else said about the club also looking to offload Gunter, Williams and Norwood is correct then we are going to be seriously weak next season. The Thais track record at signing players is abysmal and that's when they had money to spend. What they are going to bring in with little or no money doesn't even bare thinking about.

Bet365 are offering 8 to 1 on Reading getting relegated next season. That looks an easy way to profit at the moment.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jun 2016 12:36

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 03 Jun 2016 13:09

Royal1988 I look at the teams in the Championship next year, and can see the top 8 being Newcastle, Norwich, Brentford, Brighton, Cardiff, Derby Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday. I can also see Wigan, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Preston, QPR, Leeds, Bristol City and Wolves finishing in Mid-table, leaving us to fight it out with Blackburn, Barnsley, Forest, Huddersfield, Fulham, Burton and Rotherham at the bottom. Just surviving relegation next year will be an achievement.

I agree . As it stands it looks like a bottom third finish. Would have to be a disaster of a team to finish below Burton, Rotherham or Barnsley.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Jun 2016 13:31

Top Flight I'm sure their intentions are good. But they are making terrible decisions on the footballing side.

Their lack of experience and knowledge is going to get us relegated next season. If what, I think it was Handbags Harris or someone else said about the club also looking to offload Gunter, Williams and Norwood is correct then we are going to be seriously weak next season. The Thais track record at signing players is abysmal and that's when they had money to spend. What they are going to bring in with little or no money doesn't even bare thinking about.

Bet365 are offering 8 to 1 on Reading getting relegated next season. That looks an easy way to profit at the moment.

Yesterday William Hill had us at 7-1 to be promoted, so you have to look at both sides of a bookie's equation

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Jun 2016 13:49

Sure, that's fine.

I believe, based on everything that I know about the way the Thais are making decisions and running the football club. Looking at all the evidence, I think our risk of getting relegated next season is 50%. On that basis, a price of 8 to 1, looks like a good price. I don't really want to bet against Reading. But I think it's a good price. A good risk/reward ratio.

On the other hand, our chances of getting promoted I believe are 100 to 1. It's just not going to happen. With Denniss and Yann leading the attack, we have no chance. Therefore a price of 7 to 1 is bad business. You'd be putting money down with very little chance of getting a return. It's a poor risk/reward ratio. What do others think about that?

What do you honestly think our risk is of getting relegated or promoted in percentage terms?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Jun 2016 13:58

how can you assess odds when you have no idea what the strengths of the field are ? You have no idea how strong the vast majority of teams will be, in particular you have no idea what our side will be like.
You cannot base your judgement on any 'knowledge' of how our owners might make decisions because you have no such knowledge, the same as the rest of us.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 03 Jun 2016 14:16

Nameless how can you assess odds when you have no idea what the strengths of the field are ? You have no idea how strong the vast majority of teams will be, in particular you have no idea what our side will be like.
You cannot base your judgement on any 'knowledge' of how our owners might make decisions because you have no such knowledge, the same as the rest of us.

You're becoming very annoying Nameless, and the need for you to post on every topic is also quite tedious. We already have one Ian Royal there isn't room for two...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Jun 2016 14:22

WoodleyRoyal
Nameless how can you assess odds when you have no idea what the strengths of the field are ? You have no idea how strong the vast majority of teams will be, in particular you have no idea what our side will be like.

You're becoming very annoying Nameless, and the need for you to post on every topic is also quite tedious. We already have one Ian Royal there isn't room for two...

Good news if you are annoyed. Tick that box.
Is there a limit on how many threads you are allowed to post on ? Could you be clearer on what the limits are as no one has mentioned them.
I would not dream of being Ian Royal. I'm not sure the current IAN Royal is the best Ian Royal there could be, but I think he's a better IAN Royal than I could be.
And finally, there are many more annoying posters than me, I don't post often so I hate to think how the mega posters affect your mental state.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 03 Jun 2016 14:29

Nameless, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Jun 2016 14:32

WoodleyRoyal Nameless, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.

Result !
Presumably you won't waste time making petty personal attacks !
If only someone had shown you the ignore button earlier....

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Jun 2016 14:41

Of course, the odds will change as different information comes to light. In my opinion, looking at the situation right now and what I predict will happen in the coming months, I feel the risk of relegation is 50%. Therefore a bookmaker offering a price of 8 to 1 looks like good value to me.

What do others think? Is that the right assessment?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jun 2016 15:03

121 posts