Is this the end for Madejski?

130 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Is this the end for Madejski?

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Jun 2016 19:54

Stam is going to need skin of rhino hyde over the coming months......I'm sure SJM's comments will be the least of his worries

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 13 Jun 2016 19:55

Very impressed Madejski said that, though perhaps might have been better in a different setting. But I think it's probably one of the best things someone on or around the board has done in the last few months as far as I'm concerned.

Decided not to renew so will see how Stam gets on from afar.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Jun 2016 20:19

RG30 If Sir JM isn't allowed to express his opinion then why the hell invite him to front up to the media?

I bet the owners are asking themselves that very question right now.

It's called collective responsibility. You get to express your views in private and, if the decision goes against you, either then resign or publically back it. He shouldn't be allowed to publically undermine the owners (whether they are right or wrong, good or bad) in this manner and I doubt they will tolerate him continuing to do so. At the very least I expect he will get a yellow card!

Spoilt little rich kid, sold his toy but still wants to control it. Maybe be should have been a bit more careful about who he sold it to (X2) and listened to the warnings/advice of others the first time around e.g. Everton/Kenwright.

Less than a year ago he was happily joining the owners on the pitch, albeit somewhat embarrassingly waving an open bottle of champagne around. It would appear the relationship is no longer quite so happy.

And if he hadn't persuaded the owners to bring Brian back in the first place then we could have avoided the whole sorry episode and hopefully not endured the dire football we witnessed in the second part of last season.

AthleticoSpizz Think SJM has earnt the right to have his say over the last 20-odd years.

Not from within the club he chose to sell, he hasn't. He can get to the outside with the rest of us and then do so. I hear season tickets are very reasonably priced and the Upper West offers a better class of catering. Graham might well even give him a special user status on here!

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 13 Jun 2016 20:37

andrew1957 I am totally behind Sir John.

It seems that there is a 50/50 split amongst the fans between those that are happy for the heart of RFC to be ripped out and to accept the hire and fire mentality that so many other clubs have - but the rest of us loved the "Reading way" and were proud that the club did things differently and that managers were given a chance and that we recruited from the lower tiers and from the Academy and twice managed to get to the PL with squads that cost around 5M or so in total.

Now the Thais have killed the Reading way stone dead and perhaps Sir John is prepared to end his time at the club and if so good on him.

I am still of the opinion that I will not walk through the gates again whilst the club is under the current ownership. I said this when Brian was sacked and I still feel the same a couple of weeks later. I am not sure what if anything will change my mind.

The rot set in well before the Thais took over, in fact I'd say it started before AZ took over, it started when JM really wanted rid. The under-investment before then could be seen as prudence, and it became the Reading way, but the sell, sell, sell sold the message. If he doesn't leave with his held high over the achievement then I can only see it turning sour, might regret being past that point now actually.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 13 Jun 2016 20:41

Platypuss
Royal Ginger Glad he said it, it marries up with the perception of a decent percentage of the fans. That said, I think it would have been better in a seperate interview. The only innocent here is Stam, he's the only one who doesn't deserve any animosity over this whole fiasco.

This. Stam deserved better.

Absolutely. Vital that a new manager has backing from the start. I have mostly felt very positive about JM, but he is out of line on this.

bluerinse

by bluerinse » 13 Jun 2016 20:50

SJM sounds like a bitter old man His comments were totally out of place.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Jun 2016 20:57

I doubt Stam cares. He knows that he, his agent, the owners and their advisers acted without honour so they can't be offended when they're called out on it.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Jun 2016 20:59

I'd like to think that he is less precious than some of you on here.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 13 Jun 2016 21:01

CW tweeted re JMs comments....was surprising. He wasn't originally supposed to be there. When we arrived there were 4 chairs, 4 name placing - none were his. Referring to Sir Mad :D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Jun 2016 21:08

RG30 If Sir JM isn't allowed to express his opinion then why the hell invite him to front up to the media?

I dunno, maybe they expect a degree of professionalism from him and to tow the club line in public.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 13 Jun 2016 21:28

If Madejski said what is being talked about here then he has to walk away now. That is an open display of disloyalty to the board and leaves him no option but to jump, or to apologise very publicly.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Jun 2016 21:36

He doesn't have to do anything, if they want rid of Madejski then they will have to do it themselves. They won't because they know what reaction it would get, not only from the vast majority of fans but also from the wider community as a whole.

He doesn't have to walk and nor should he.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 13 Jun 2016 22:18

Delight SJM said it. Don't care if it is disrespectful, the whole process has been a shambles. Stam is just as guilty for taking a job that someone else was already in. I am really concerned about next season now.....but maybe I'll get see us play in Chesterfield in 2017/18.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 13 Jun 2016 22:25

Ian Royal Not that I think the Thais would necessarily do any better without him around, but they should at least get the chance.

Bit like the chance they gave McDermott ?
(just saying ... tbh I think a clean break when they took over would have been better and I'm ambivalent re McDermott).

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 13 Jun 2016 22:32

Kitsondinho Delight SJM said it. Don't care if it is disrespectful, the whole process has been a shambles. Stam is just as guilty for taking a job that someone else was already in. I am really concerned about next season now.....but maybe I'll get see us play in Chesterfield in 2017/18.

How did he take a job that someone else was in? McDermott was clearly not up to the job so the owners acted. Granted they may have sounded Stam out but I didn't see Stam signing any contracts whilst Brian still had his tracksuit on!

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 13 Jun 2016 22:39

Hopefully JM is on his way out of the door. He has systematically used Reading FC to further his own business interests and massage his ego. The so called Reading way was simply clever spin designed to hide a lack of ambition and true investment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Jun 2016 23:02

Horsham Royal
Ian Royal Not that I think the Thais would necessarily do any better without him around, but they should at least get the chance.

Bit like the chance they gave McDermott ?
(just saying ... tbh I think a clean break when they took over would have been better and I'm ambivalent re McDermott).

No, nothing like the chance they gave McDermott, which was an absolute shambles of a decision start or finish, maybe both given what's happened.

jojo1

by jojo1 » 13 Jun 2016 23:14

sandman He doesn't have to do anything, if they want rid of Madejski then they will have to do it themselves. They won't because they know what reaction it would get, not only from the vast majority of fans but also from the wider community as a whole.

He doesn't have to walk and nor should he.

Push the fecker out of the door so he can enjoy his retirement, i for one am so pleased that the reading way is nearly coming to an end if it upsets some so be it, they can spend 23 hours a day on here moaning about it instead of there usual 20 half the lazy oxf*rd on here dont even work or have a dead end job with which just about covers there internet connection for there daily fix on here what a load of sad oxf*rd .
Chin up lads i will be off to Ibiza tomorrow watch the Euros in a bar, few drinks, bit of night life, you carry on lads. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 13 Jun 2016 23:22

Dixeyroyal
Kitsondinho Delight SJM said it. Don't care if it is disrespectful, the whole process has been a shambles. Stam is just as guilty for taking a job that someone else was already in. I am really concerned about next season now.....but maybe I'll get see us play in Chesterfield in 2017/18.

How did he take a job that someone else was in? McDermott was clearly not up to the job so the owners acted. Granted they may have sounded Stam out but I didn't see Stam signing any contracts whilst Brian still had his tracksuit on!

Sounded him out......That is one way of looking at it....

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Jun 2016 23:41

poohs pure Hopefully JM is on his way out of the door. He has systematically used Reading FC to further his own business interests and massage his ego. The so called Reading way was simply clever spin designed to hide a lack of ambition and true investment.

Not a true Reading fan by the sounds of it. Just a plastic glory hunter.

130 posts