Loan Watch 2016/17

171 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Loan Watch 2016/17

by Royal Ginger » 31 Jan 2017 22:37

Browsing a transfer summary website and saw that Kuhl is supposedly back from Borham Wood.

bunkmoreland

by bunkmoreland » 02 Feb 2017 20:14

Hiya,
A Motherwell fan here, how's it going?

We've taken Zak Jules on loan from you 'til the end of the season and I was curious as to what the script was with him. Having watched his interviews on the Motherwell YouTube and read up a bit on the internet he seems to predominately be a left sided centre half which is good as Stephen McManus is pretty much the only left sided centre half we've got at the club however in McManus and Ben Heneghan we've got a pretty settled centre half pairing so it'd be surprising if we broke that up. It'd also be a surprise if Reading would send the player up here simply as cover.

Jules made his debut off the bench Tuesday in the 2-1 win at Ross County at left back and that's an area we've had a problem with as the natural left backs have been struggling to shake off injuries and the other options are either right backs filling in on the left which isn't ideal. I was curious if Jules had maybe played left back for your u23s on occasion and that might be an area that MFC would be looking to get him some game time in?

From the brief amount I've seen he certainly looks the part, an absolute unit by all accounts so I'm interested as to how he may fit in and with any luck he'll fare better up here than the last loan we had from Reading, it'd be an understatement to say Jake Taylor's spell "didn't work out". I think his only contribution last season was getting sent off for diving in a 2-1 loss to St Johnstone. Hopefully Jules is better than Taylor? Is he? (Please say he is).

Anyway, sorry for taking up the post on your board and all the best for the season.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 03 Feb 2017 09:28

bunkmoreland Hiya,

We've taken Zak Jules on loan from you 'til the end of the season and I was curious as to what the script was with him. Having watched his interviews on the Motherwell YouTube and read up a bit on the internet he seems to predominately be a left sided centre half which is good as Stephen McManus is pretty much the only left sided centre half we've got at the club however in McManus and Ben Heneghan we've got a pretty settled centre half pairing so it'd be surprising if we broke that up. It'd also be a surprise if Reading would send the player up here simply as cover.

Jules made his debut off the bench Tuesday in the 2-1 win at Ross County at left back and that's an area we've had a problem with as the natural left backs have been struggling to shake off injuries and the other options are either right backs filling in on the left which isn't ideal. I was curious if Jules had maybe played left back for your u23s on occasion and that might be an area that MFC would be looking to get him some game time in?

From the brief amount I've seen he certainly looks the part, an absolute unit by all accounts so I'm interested as to how he may fit in and with any luck he'll fare better up here than the last loan we had from Reading, it'd be an understatement to say Jake Taylor's spell "didn't work out". I think his only contribution last season was getting sent off for diving in a 2-1 loss to St Johnstone. Hopefully Jules is better than Taylor? Is he? (Please say he is).

Anyway, sorry for taking up the post on your board and all the best for the season.

I have no idea who that is tbh

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Feb 2017 09:42

bunkmoreland Hiya,

There you go giving a f*ck when it aint your turn to give a f*ck.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Feb 2017 09:49

bunkmoreland Hiya,

Send a PM to Ian Royal, he listens to all the games.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 03 Feb 2017 10:22

bunkmoreland Hiya,

Wish I could help but have never seen him kick a ball for Reading

He doesn't have a particularly big reputation for being one of our brightest youngsters, but neither did Michael Hector before his spell at Aberdeen

Good luck with the rest of the season ! :)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Feb 2017 11:51

I've only seen Jules play twice and one of those was a friendly. Certainly is a bright prospect and looked assured at left back on both occasions I saw him. Passes the ball well and looks to get forward.

I'm sure there are others on this board who are more regular viewers of the U21s who can give a much fuller picture.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Feb 2017 11:57

bunkmoreland Hiya,

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Feb 2017 12:05

Sutekh I've only seen Jules play twice and one of those was a friendly. Certainly is a bright prospect and looked assured at left back on both occasions I saw him. Passes the ball well and looks to get forward.

I'm sure there are others on this board who are more regular viewers of the U21s who can give a much fuller picture.

I thought he was a CB :shock:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Feb 2017 12:36

I think I've seen Jules in a couple of U21/3 games this season.

I can't say he particularly stood out to me and wasn't at left back.

As far as I'm aware it's not uncommon to break young centre backs through at fullback or defensive midfield because it develops their ability on the ball and passing and they're less highly pressurised positions. A mistake isn't quite so deadly. As far as I'm aware other than that he's centreback primarily.

I think he's pretty highly rated here. Whilst he didn't stand out to me when I saw him, I also didn't notice any particular weaknesses.

You probably want a reply from someone like SCIAG for any particularly informed views on him.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 03 Feb 2017 12:42

Jules is primarily a left footed centre back but he has played several games at left back for the U21/3s, when we have had plenty of centre backs available but no left back.
He is well thought of at Reading and is certainly a big lad.
Time will tell but it wouldn't be the first time we have loaned out a young defender and he has ended up just being cover. Let's hope he does get game time at Motherwell.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Feb 2017 15:54

where has jules gone on loan to?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Feb 2017 16:10

Maneki Neko where has jules gone on loan to?

Some shitty team in Norway. Fatherunwell or something like that.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 03 Feb 2017 16:59

bunkmoreland Hiya,
Motherwell?

Maneki Neko Yes, she is thanks.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Feb 2017 19:24

LWJ
bunkmoreland Hiya,
Motherwell?

Maneki Neko Yes, she is thanks.

Reading the RFC Twitter feed I think he's covered that one.

bunkmoreland

by bunkmoreland » 03 Feb 2017 19:39

Broxroyal Jules is primarily a left footed centre back but he has played several games at left back for the U21/3s, when we have had plenty of centre backs available but no left back.
He is well thought of at Reading and is certainly a big lad.
Time will tell but it wouldn't be the first time we have loaned out a young defender and he has ended up just being cover. Let's hope he does get game time at Motherwell.

Cheers all for the replies. Appreciated.
I'd be surprised if he'd been brought in as cover as we've more than a few centre backs who fit that bill so hopefully he gets a decent run of games. He looks some athlete tbf.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 04 Feb 2017 12:41

Jules is playing in BT Sport 1 now if anyone is interested. Just put it in and he made a key block.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Feb 2017 22:06

bunkmoreland Hiya,

I don't think you can really compare attacking midfielders to centre backs that easily! Didn't Taylor win a penalty or set up a goal or something in that match he got sent off in?

You're right that he's an absolute unit, and that's his biggest strength. He's pretty good on the ball for a centre back, he's quick, and he's left footed, so he should be a decent left back, but he's not really looked comfortable there whenever I've seen him there. Which in fairness is only about twice. If you've got good centre backs and no left back then it would certainly seem like that's where you've signed him for, but I don't think he's all that comfortable with the duties of a left back.

Don't expect wonders on the overlap, but he'll toughen you up and maybe provide some stability and balance. I'd certainly be surprised if he turns out to be good enough to displace McManus but maybe he could displace Heneghan, who I know nothing about. He also might be able to fill in as a defensive midfielder or emergency striker.

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 07 Feb 2017 00:59

Dominic Samuel scored a hat-trick for Ipswich U23 tonight in their 8-0 demolition of Watford U23.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Feb 2017 08:44

bunkmoreland Hiya,

So the bottom line is that not much is known about him apart from the fact that he's not really a left back - but he's been on the books for a quite a while and club have kept him around so must obviously rate him. And ignore some of the idiot jibes from people on this board who seem incapable of responding to a serious request with anything other than wit.

171 posts