Why are "we" booing players keeping the ball?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Why are "we" booing players keeping the ball?

by TBM » 24 Aug 2016 10:05

So we know the style of football Stam wants, a possession based game....whether we like it or not that's the style we are going to play

What hacks me off though is our own fans booing when the ball is being played around the back (looking for the opening) - i noticed yesterday that as soon as the fans started letting out a "booooo" the player on the ball panicked and instead lumped it long, giving it straight to the opposition - how is that better than us keeping the ball?

With time, and the players adapting, it will come together and be lovely to watch BUT fcuking boo-ing them isn't going to help :roll:

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: Why are "we" booing players keeping the ball?

by LWJ » 24 Aug 2016 10:15

Because we would rather give the ball to the opposition by hoofing it up to the isolated CF? Oh and our fans are clueless as shown on the BFTG thread.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 24 Aug 2016 10:15

TBM So we know the style of football Stam wants, a possession based game....whether we like it or not that's the style we are going to play

What hacks me off though is our own fans booing when the ball is being played around the back (looking for the opening) - i noticed yesterday that as soon as the fans started letting out a "booooo" the player on the ball panicked and instead lumped it long, giving it straight to the opposition - how is that better than us keeping the ball?

With time, and the players adapting, it will come together and be lovely to watch BUT fcuking boo-ing them isn't going to help :roll:

I sit next to a guy who can only shout two words all game "go forward". And its the same fans that booed every time Pearce got the ball a few seasons ago and aimlessly lumped it up field. Can't win.

George_

by George_ » 24 Aug 2016 10:18

Possession football in a 4-4-3 which is a work in progress > Diamond playing long ball where we lost 7 out of 8 at the end of last season.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 24 Aug 2016 10:18

We have a new manager who is looking to implement a strategy based on ball retention with a squad of players who have barely met. He must wonder what he's let himself in for when, five games in, fans are booing and demanding the ball be hoofed up field to a lone striker who shows no ability at retaining the ball.

Making this work consistently, if it ever does, is going to take time and I wonder how long the board's nerve will hold if the team is being booed during the game by our own fans every time we're not ahead in a game. Idiots, and that's before you take into account that the team tonight was nowhere near our actual first team. Some of our fans deserve to be where Leeds are with a new manager ever few months and a spiral of failure, for god's sake have some patience.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Aug 2016 10:20

LWJ Because we would rather give the ball to the opposition by hoofing it up to the isolated CF? Oh and our fans are clueless as shown on the BFTG thread.

and most other threads tbf tbh

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 24 Aug 2016 10:24

Silver Fox
LWJ Because we would rather give the ball to the opposition by hoofing it up to the isolated CF? Oh and our fans are clueless as shown on the BFTG thread.

and most other threads tbf tbh

:mrgreen:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Aug 2016 10:26

Because the majority of our fans are mongs and don't understand football/expect us to win every game at a canter like we did when they probably first started supporting us in 05/06?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Aug 2016 10:27

George_ Possession football in a 4-4-3 which is a work in progress > Diamond playing long ball where we lost 7 out of 8 at the end of last season.

I wonder how long we'll get away with playing with 12 players.

George_

by George_ » 24 Aug 2016 10:31

tidus_mi2
George_ Possession football in a 4-4-3 which is a work in progress > Diamond playing long ball where we lost 7 out of 8 at the end of last season.

I wonder how long we'll get away with playing with 12 players.

:roll:

*4-3-3

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 24 Aug 2016 10:44

TBM So we know the style of football Stam wants, a possession based game....whether we like it or not that's the style we are going to play

^^^ Highlighted is the key bit.

I reckon most of the booing yesterday occured when the players were clearly not looking for an opening. Just clearly passing it back/around aimlessly. Obita was particularly guilty of that. If it is passed around at the back with a purpose (and movement) I think the fans generally will be onside. When it looks like they're passing it around like its injury time and they're hanging on to a win, instead of needing to actually score a goal, then some of our fans will get frustrated.

Also, its not like ANY of our previous attempts at possession football have met with anything other than boring abject failure. So any new possession game comes with a weight of (sh*t) history behind it, which in turn makes those fans less patient

//Not a booer, just saying like

boycey

by boycey » 24 Aug 2016 11:09

Boo urns

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 24 Aug 2016 11:14

No, fans aren't demanding that the ball is hoofed up to the striker. They're pointing out that slowly tapping it round the back for 90 minutes is incredibly tedious and not remotely effective.

Unless the point is to gift the opposition 2 or 3 chances a match, and waste 20 minutes of the game.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 24 Aug 2016 11:17

Never understand why fans boo, particularly at present when things are looking far more positive than they have in recent years. We have a ton of new players, a new manager, financially stable yet fans boo 10 minutes into the game because a player dares to play a sideways pass.

Saying that, I am increasingly fed up of some of our so called fans, especially those in Y25. As the players came out for the second half against Brighton, Gunter did his usual run over to the corner flag by the East stand. One Reading "fan" was giving him the oxf*rd sign and continually shouting "oh, Gunter, you're a total oxf*rd". Maybe you think he is, but I don't think shouting that helps, especially when he's done nothing against the club and generally does play adequately.

There was also the boo boys when BM was in charge, and I mean 1-2 games after he started they were booing all any songs for BM. I think some insecure idiots just like to play the "look at me... I'm so hard, I say things just for a reaction" game.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Aug 2016 11:20

P!ssed Off No, fans aren't demanding that the ball is hoofed up to the striker. They're pointing out that slowly tapping it round the back for 90 minutes is incredibly tedious and not remotely effective.

Unless the point is to gift the opposition 2 or 3 chances a match, and waste 20 minutes of the game.

Exactly this.

If there is clear intent and a tempo with the passing then it will be embraced. However, if it involves our defenders putting the opposition through on our goal then people will, quite rightly be annoyed by it.

Contrary to the belief of certain people, with a bizarre agenda against Brian McDermott, we have never been a team that "hoof" it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Aug 2016 11:27

sandman
P!ssed Off No, fans aren't demanding that the ball is hoofed up to the striker. They're pointing out that slowly tapping it round the back for 90 minutes is incredibly tedious and not remotely effective.

Exactly this.

Contrary to the belief of certain people, with a bizarre agenda against Brian McDermott, we have never been a team that "hoof" it.

Very true, however we were never really that good in possession either, Stam has come in, decided he wants to play possession football and is sticking to it, as evidenced by our high levels of possession in every game so far this season.

We have brought in a lot of new players so in my opinion we can only improve as the new players gel with the rest of the squad and the whole team gets more comfortable with the new style of play. My big critique so far is that we can struggle to carve out decent chances and occasionally this massive gap appears between the midfield and defence, usually they plug that by either Joey pushing slightly higher, or Evans dropping a bit deeper, they just need to be more fluid about it.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 24 Aug 2016 11:34

because we live in a culture where many young people believe that they have a knowledge of football far greater than they actually do, they live in an On Demand society where absolutely nothing should be waited for and what you want should be happening right now otherwise you are fully entitled to be unhappy, and because social media gives many youngsters the idea that their opinions should be aired publicly much more than in the past.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 24 Aug 2016 11:41

Winston Smith many young people believe that they have a knowledge of football far greater than they actually do.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Many old people also think this. The majority booing and shouting forward at the games this year have been 40+*

*from the people I have seen/heard.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Aug 2016 11:48

tidus_mi2
sandman

Exactly this.

Very true, however we were never really that good in possession either, Stam has come in, decided he wants to play possession football and is sticking to it, as evidenced by our high levels of possession in every game so far this season.

We have brought in a lot of new players so in my opinion we can only improve as the new players gel with the rest of the squad and the whole team gets more comfortable with the new style of play. My big critique so far is that we can struggle to carve out decent chances and occasionally this massive gap appears between the midfield and defence, usually they plug that by either Joey pushing slightly higher, or Evans dropping a bit deeper, they just need to be more fluid about it.

Do we have more possession because we're "better" at it under Stam?

Or do we have more possession because, like Rodgers and Adkins before him, the other team can afford to watch us play the ball around in areas where we can't hurt them as they know that eventually we will give them the ball?

If it's the latter rather than the former then we have the same possession game we had under Rodgers and Adkins.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Aug 2016 11:56

Time will sort it out. Fans do need to be patient and while I can tolerate booing a poor performance at the end of a half I find it unacceptable to boo during a game particularly when we have a NEW MANAGER with a NEW SQUAD getting to know each other, getting to know the division all over and getting to understand a NEW STYLE for the club.

However, that said, you can understand it in the early stages as we've seen this too many times recently under Adkins and Clarke with the players playing crab football and going nowhere and getting largely crap results off the back of it. Once things become more settled and ingrained and there is more understanding amongst the players then the fans will be more accepting - so long as there is clear improvement in what the team try to do and the results being more "uplifting".