Brighton and Reading fans............

Gullet

Brighton and Reading fans............

by Gullet » 25 Aug 2016 08:33

Brighton fan in peace............

More petty name calling between fans of both Reading and Brighton following the cup draw. It IS a disappointing draw for all concerned because we play each other so often these days, NOT because one club or set of fans have bragging rights over the other. This really pisses me off and though its obvious to most of us, I wanted to come on here and say, as always, its only a small minority of keyboard warriors and the odd fan that thinks to travelling to a near neighbour's ground makes them an 'Uber' fan, that peddles this nonsense.

I have fond memories of Elm Park (it was actually a pretty horrible place at the time as was the Goldstone but perhaps rose tinted spectacles makes the old 'proper' grounds now seem a lot better than they really were) which I went to regularly when living in Reading for a few years in the '80s. Reading have always retained a place in my heart since and I was chuffed when you got your new ground, new success and lets be honest, new fans. The recent years at Brighton have followed a very similar pattern and to me its great that the middle size clubs like Reading, Brighton and even (shock horror!) Palace are able to compete at a decent level in today's premiership focused world. I don't think its hard being a Brighton or Reading fan as we get our days in the sun every now and then (unlike fans of clubs like Walsall, Hartlepool or Bury - their fans are genuine 'uber' football fans in my book). We are lucky and should appreciate our good fortune, not snipe at those who have been similarly blessed. In fact we should all be backing each other with pride against the clubs that have completely lost the link with their fan bases such as Arsenal and Chelsea and their new fans that think the world has ended when they finish second (or god forbid third) in the premiership. THAT is an overblown sense of entitlement!

This will probably fall on deaf ears but there is every reason for respect between our clubs and fans!

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Brighton and Reading fans............

by bobby1413 » 25 Aug 2016 08:38

Great post and nice to hear something sensible for a change, particularly when it's in response to petty comments made by fans from both clubs. I think you make some great points, especially in relation to Reading/Brighton having some decent times when compared to the likes of other clubs who really have had a miserable few years. For some reason Reading fans (maybe Brighton too), forget that all too easily, which then results in all the boo boys coming out and moaners, when in actual fact we are quite fortunate.

Welcome to the board Gullet

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 25 Aug 2016 09:02

Fock off newbie!

boycey

by boycey » 25 Aug 2016 09:05

Reading fans #blessed

anyone know if half/half scarves will be available.

cant wait for this. 90 000 passionate home fans watching total football.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Aug 2016 09:12

If there's not a Marks & Spencers sponsored Tinpot Trophy at the end of this game then frankly football can go to hell.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Aug 2016 09:21

All in all I would want both our clubs to succeed, especially at the expense of Northern clubs, after all they got a head start by not allowing any Southern teams into the football league until 1920. That said I'm fine with Brighton fans having a gripe about us as it adds a little bit of spice to fixtures between our clubs, I don't know when it started, I figure it probably started when we went up together but we kept progressing and then nicked your players/manager.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Aug 2016 09:38

Vision If there's not a Marks & Spencers sponsored Tinpot Trophy at the end of this game then frankly football can go to hell.

Calling anyone with potatoshop skillz

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 25 Aug 2016 09:41

My personal favourite from NSC talking about the draw;

'If this game was taking place in my back garden, I wouldn't open the curtains to watch it.'

fair point

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Aug 2016 09:54

Gullet This will probably fall on deaf ears but there is every reason for respect between our clubs and fans!

Unfortunately it's the petty nature of a section of fans these days. No personal grips with BHA. The draw gives both clubs any opportunity to progress further. Ultimately winning trophies is what really matters. Reading will have a strong team out for the game. Even if the players aren't first team regulars.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 25 Aug 2016 10:12

Brighton hate us more than Palace now, although won't admit it

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Aug 2016 10:27

bobby1413 Brighton hate us more than Palace now, although won't admit it

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Aug 2016 10:31

They were half not sure who they wanted to win between us and Palace last season while the other half were fully supporting us.

They hate us but certainly not as much as Palace.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 25 Aug 2016 10:51

agreed

And the Palestinians hate us more than they do Israel.

What have we done?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Aug 2016 11:05

tidus_mi2 I don't know when it started, I figure it probably started when we went up together but we kept progressing and then nicked your players/manager.

I think that's the Genesis of it. We both went up and the next season we made the play offs whilst they got relegated, arguably because we had better facilities, larger crowds and a chairman who backed the manager, whereas Brighton had Withdean and Dick Knight pleading poverty. Fair enough, Coppell left them for us but we also took Paul Brooker off them so, in my mind we're even, and anyway, Coppell's decision was fully vindicated 3 years later.

Oh we also signed a couple of players from other clubs who had been on loan to Brighton (Ivar and Sidwell) but they'd also played under Coppell at Brentford. Coppell is clearly the common denominator in that one but at the time, Ivar even commented on the better facilities being a factor.

The way I see it, Brighton are following a similar track to us, only 10 years later. They may see us as tinpot but for them, we are the ghost of football future.

The clubs have a lot in common, Brighton nearly went out of business and we're exiled in the 90s, we had Maxwell in the 80's. I think too many Brighton fans get wrapped up in the Peter Ward years of 3rd tier derbies with Palace attracting 30,000 people. That's a lifetime ago.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Aug 2016 12:29

LUX

agreed

And the Palestinians hate us more than they do Israel.

What have we done?
Had some success and attracted the youth fans who would otherwise have supported the likes of Man Utd or Chelsea, unfortunately for the rest of us they are mouthy shits and nobody likes them. They are typified by the 20 year old idiot who threw the flare back into the crowd against Bradford City, Those teenagers who took selfies in front of the away fans during the pitch invasion...... Meanwhile we've sold overpriced useless players to many clubs which has angered their fans (not really our fault) and started sacking managers regularly. The DJ Megaparty/It's a knockout commentator and Rubblestick noneses of recent years/still going on probably doesn't help much either.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 25 Aug 2016 12:35

Gullet Brighton fan in peace............

More petty name calling between fans of both Reading and Brighton following the cup draw. It IS a disappointing draw for all concerned because we play each other so often these days, NOT because one club or set of fans have bragging rights over the other. This really pisses me off and though its obvious to most of us, I wanted to come on here and say, as always, its only a small minority of keyboard warriors and the odd fan that thinks to travelling to a near neighbour's ground makes them an 'Uber' fan, that peddles this nonsense.

I have fond memories of Elm Park (it was actually a pretty horrible place at the time as was the Goldstone but perhaps rose tinted spectacles makes the old 'proper' grounds now seem a lot better than they really were) which I went to regularly when living in Reading for a few years in the '80s. Reading have always retained a place in my heart since and I was chuffed when you got your new ground, new success and lets be honest, new fans. The recent years at Brighton have followed a very similar pattern and to me its great that the middle size clubs like Reading, Brighton and even (shock horror!) Palace are able to compete at a decent level in today's premiership focused world. I don't think its hard being a Brighton or Reading fan as we get our days in the sun every now and then (unlike fans of clubs like Walsall, Hartlepool or Bury - their fans are genuine 'uber' football fans in my book). We are lucky and should appreciate our good fortune, not snipe at those who have been similarly blessed. In fact we should all be backing each other with pride against the clubs that have completely lost the link with their fan bases such as Arsenal and Chelsea and their new fans that think the world has ended when they finish second (or god forbid third) in the premiership. THAT is an overblown sense of entitlement!

This will probably fall on deaf ears but there is every reason for respect between our clubs and fans!

Nice post....... having lived in Brighton for nearly 25 years I know one or two Seagull's fans and have to say they seem, like yourself pretty sane individuals.

Have you posted this on your own forum yet - hopefully a few more locals share your views ?
Last edited by Steve_Upper_West on 25 Aug 2016 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 25 Aug 2016 12:41

Gullet Brighton fan in peace............

I lost all respect for your lot Easter 1970 when stood behind the goal at the Goldstone I clearly saw Kit Napier punch the ball into the net and despite strong protests from our players the ref allowed the goal. That gave you an undeserved 2-1 win and put an end to a great run which had put us in contention for promotion. That injustice seem to have destroyed our confidence and we went on a terrible run losing to Luton 5 nil in the next game.
As my dad said at the time Brighton are a bunch of cheating bar stewards and I have seen nothing since to change that view.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Aug 2016 12:55

Hi Gullet welcome to the board. Can you recommend anywhere decent to go in Brighton on a stag do for leon please :?:
http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=133244

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Aug 2016 13:52

At the end of the day though, Brighton are just another football club

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Aug 2016 14:21

Green Hi Gullet welcome to the board. Can you recommend anywhere decent to go in Brighton on a stag do for leon please :?:
http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=133244

You're a good lad Greeners.