Dear Stattos - Penalties

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Dear Stattos - Penalties

by John Smith » 19 Sep 2016 10:45

I remember Matej Vydra missed 2 penalties last season. He also missed an open goal at Middlesbrough.

Man am I happy that carthorse is nowhere near my club anymore. Dark, dark days.

George_

by George_ » 19 Sep 2016 11:02

John Smith I remember Matej Vydra missed 2 penalties last season. He also missed an open goal at Middlesbrough.

And shockingly enough Derby fans are starting to think they've been robbed for the £8 million they spent on him..

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 19 Sep 2016 11:44

CountryRoyal Newcastle - McCleary (scored)
Ipswich - McCleary (scored)
Ipswich - Williams (scored)
Barnsley - McCleary (missed - rebound scored)

If you include the 4 out of 5 scored in the shoot out v MK Dons we're 7.5 scored out of 9 so far this season.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 19 Sep 2016 11:53

George_
John Smith I remember Matej Vydra missed 2 penalties last season. He also missed an open goal at Middlesbrough.

And shockingly enough Derby fans are starting to think they've been robbed for the £8 million they spent on him..

The carthorse comment made me think of Tim Dellor's comment and subsequent apology...

Poor Vydra. Unlike Nick Blackman, I actually thought he genuinely ran himself into the ground for us, more than any other loanee including Hector. The amount of easy chances he missed beggars belief though

Like Nick Blackman, I think he is a talented footballer but not a natural, instinctive, finisher. Both are luxury players that you can't afford in the ferocious 4-5-1 era in the championship.

Whilst I want Derby to struggle as they have spent so much, I can't bring myself to want Vydra to fail. But I'm looking forward to celebrating "Nick Blackman Day" at the "iPro" when he has gone over a full year without a goal!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Sep 2016 12:02

Z175
George_

The carthorse comment made me think of Tim Dellor's comment and subsequent apology...

Poor Vydra. Unlike Nick Blackman, I actually thought he genuinely ran himself into the ground for us, more than any other loanee including Hector. The amount of easy chances he missed beggars belief though

Like Nick Blackman, I think he is a talented footballer but not a natural, instinctive, finisher. Both are luxury players that you can't afford in the ferocious 4-5-1 era in the championship.

Whilst I want Derby to struggle as they have spent so much, I can't bring myself to want Vydra to fail. But I'm looking forward to celebrating "Nick Blackman Day" at the "iPro" when he has gone over a full year without a goal!

Fair enough, that's up to you but let me tell you that man* cost Brian McDermott his job and nearly got us relegated. I could go out and run myself into the ground for Reading but that doesn't mean I'd be any good.

*Carthorse

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Sep 2016 14:28

Brum Royal

If you include the 4 out of 5 scored in the shoot out v MK Dons we're 7.5 scored out of 9 so far this season.

Which you don't because they don't count, otherwise whoever scored them would get acredited with the goals.

That being said it's still a nice change to see us scoring penalties as opposed to our seemingly poor conversion rate in recent seasons.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 19 Sep 2016 16:16

CountryRoyal
Brum Royal

Which you don't because they don't count, otherwise whoever scored them would get acredited with the goals.

That being said it's still a nice change to see us scoring penalties as opposed to our seemingly poor conversion rate in recent seasons.

Appreciate the reality of point 1, point 2 was more what I was getting at.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Oct 2016 17:08

What is it now? 7, 8?

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 22 Oct 2016 17:28

We are now up to a magnificent seven, although you could say nine if you count the EFL Trophy in which Mendes has scored both

That now equals last season's total (scored 4/7), and beats the previous year (4/6)

Still some way to go to the fourteen awarded in 10/11, although at the same stage that year we'd only been given two, both in a 3-0 win over Crystal Palace (Ian Harte scoring on debut)

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 22 Oct 2016 17:28

We really are incredibly bad at converting penalties aren't we, while our opponents seem to always convert theirs?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Oct 2016 17:39

Settling nicely back into our run with penalties. 2 out of 2 missed.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 23 Oct 2016 17:02

it`s about time Jaap found a new penalty taker- surely John Swift or Roy Beerens could do better than we already have.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 23 Oct 2016 20:24

John Smith Fair enough, that's up to you but let me tell you that man* cost Brian McDermott his job

Get out of here you looney. :lol:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Oct 2016 20:53

How many chances did he miss? Wolves away, Brentford at home, Boro away, Brighton away and plenty more if he'd have converted those who is to say that we wouldn't have finished higher up the table?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 23 Oct 2016 22:17

I've just realised that if my Auntie had bollocks she'd be my Uncle.

Let us now move on.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 05 Nov 2016 17:55

Up to EIGHT* following today, so get ready for some crazy stats........

Last season only Burnley were awarded eight penalties during the ENTIRE season, we were in SECOND place having been given seven

The most penalties awarded (and scored) over the course of a season in Championship history......

Cardiff: 16 (12) 2008/09
Bournemouth: 15 (10) - 2014/15
Crystal Palace 14 (11) - 2012/13
Reading 13 (10) - 2010/11
Leicester 13 (10) - 2013/14
QPR 12 (12) - 2010/11
Bournemouth 12 (10) - 2013/14
Coventry 12 (10) - 2004/05
Reading 12 (9) - 2009/10

THREE* different players (McCleary, Williams, Kermorgant) have scored penalties for Reading this season, the record for a single season is currently FOUR in 2009/10 (Hunt, Sigurdsson, Long, Church)

Reading have missed THREE penalties already this season, which equals last season's total, with the record being SIX in 2011/12 - the only season we have missed more than three in a single campaign

No player has ever missed more than TWICE in one season, McCleary is currently on two

*Joseph Mendes has scored 2/2 in the EFL Trophy this season

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 26 Dec 2016 18:46

Today's 10th penalty of the season brings us into double figures for only the third time in the Championship (2009/10, 2010/11 - The Shane Long Years)

Given we are now exactly halfway through the season (23 games played), we are on course for a Championship record 20 penalties (current record 16 - Cardiff 2008/09), and only three away from our all-time record of 13 in 2010/11 (we scored 10)

As mentioned last time, our record for most penalties missed in a season is 6 in 2011/12, which we're also heading rapidly towards, the next most missed in a season is only three

Our conversion rate now stands at nice round 5/10 (50%, 1 in 2), but what the stats don't tell you is we've managed to score from 9/10 if you count rebounds

I haven't been able to find any rebound stats online (not surprising), but I wouldn't be surprised if 4 in a season is some sort of first (world record anyone?) - McCleary also has 3 rebounded penalty goals all to himself this season (although he has a Reading record of being the only player ever to miss 3 penalties in a single season)

I actually only found out about this rule the other day from the Guardian, that you can't actually score your own rebound off the post or crossbar, another player must touch the ball before you can put it in again (in other words, had Kermogant's acrobatic attempt connected with the ball today, Norwich would have had a free-kick) https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... y-rebounds

Anyway, 10 penalties this season put us ahead of Birmingham and Aston Villa, who are 2nd and 3rd with 8 and 6 penalties awarded this season

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Dec 2016 18:55

You can't play the ball twice from any deadball situation so same rule has to apply to a penalty (which is only a particular type of free kick)
I think we're getting carried away with the penalty conversion, as long as we are tucking the ball away we are scoring from penalties. Shows players are aware and reacting quicker than the defenders, although would be more economic to do the job first time ! As a positive all our misses are shots on target, we aren't blasting the ball over the bar of dragging it wide...

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 26 Dec 2016 19:04

Any excuse for posting this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iad3gV-9C1U

You'd think a song on YouTube with 600,000 views about you chipping a penalty, would put you off ever chipping another penalty

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 26 Dec 2016 19:37

Nameless You can't play the ball twice from any deadball situation so same rule has to apply to a penalty (which is only a particular type of free kick)
I think we're getting carried away with the penalty conversion, as long as we are tucking the ball away we are scoring from penalties. Shows players are aware and reacting quicker than the defenders, although would be more economic to do the job first time ! As a positive all our misses are shots on target, we aren't blasting the ball over the bar of dragging it wide...

True enough. DIfficult to score from the rebound when the shot has missed the target and ended up in row Z