by LUX » 26 Oct 2016 10:05

No Fixed Abode teams who are competing in Europe

well that's Chelsea and Reading crossed off the list

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Arsenal (a)

by muirinho » 26 Oct 2016 10:09

No Fixed Abode Serious question.

When you saw the team Reading put out, did you a feel a little deflated and let down? 5,000+ fans paying good money, many taking the day/afternoon off work.

No disrespect to the players involved, it's good experience for them. But so early on in the season with no obvious sign of a promotion charge I thought Stam would have put out a stronger team than that.

I can understand teams who are competing in Europe and have a busy schedule coming up. But a Tuesday game after a Saturday game, surely most of those that played at Rotherham could have managed the chance to play at the Emirates?

For me, no. I wanted to see Dom Samuel, I wanted to see Tennai Watson. I wanted to see Callum Harriott. I actually wanted to see Jaakola. I see the first team every home game, this was an opportunity to see something a little different.
Bearing in mind most people there were (or should have been) season ticket holders, it's not like this was their one chance to see "The" Reading team, they get to see those players all the time.

oh_ROAR

by oh_ROAR » 26 Oct 2016 10:47

Whilst he may not have set the world alight, It was the first full match I've seen of Samuel and I think he showed more than enough to again raise the question of why he can't be brought on with 15 minutes to go when we were 1-1 against QPR or Villa, showed a great turn of pace which I expected but also had a nice touch and held the ball up well. Can't help but feel he'd be effective against a tired championship defence. Kelly started well and pings some beautiful passes around, obviously gave the ball away a few times but I think he looks promising and you can't fault his effort in defence when everyone's 2 feet taller than him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Oct 2016 10:50

When you saw the team Reading put out, did you a feel a little deflated and let down? 5,000+ fans paying good money, many taking the day/afternoon off work.

No disrespect to the players involved, it's good experience for them. But so early on in the season with no obvious sign of a promotion charge I thought Stam would have put out a stronger team than that.

I can understand teams who are competing in Europe and have a busy schedule coming up. But a Tuesday game after a Saturday game, surely most of those that played at Rotherham could have managed the chance to play at the Emirates?

Its nice to see some academy players getting a cup run (used loosely). I understand what you are saying but I think Stam is right to not value beating Arsenal in a cup game over making sure key players are rested and reserve/bench players get some game time to make sure they gel with the starters and the tactics.
For example it was the perfect game for Kelly and Samuel, nothing is expected of the players when playing opposition of that caliber, so they get experience in the first team while not sacrificing possible league points. Win-win.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 26 Oct 2016 11:10

Worst thing about losing to clubs like Arsenal are the armchair supporters showing delight and trying to have "banter" about it - just fck right off you w@nkers

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Oct 2016 11:12

Samuel works better alongside Kemorgant but IN THE CENTRE, also believe Kermorgant would be more effective with someone like Samuel alongside him.

However Stam's fixation with 4-3-3 denies that opportunity and therefore I think Samuel will struggle to get much time other than the odd sub appearance.

Also I would suggest it means we'll be looking for a particular type of striker in January, probably a younger version of Kermorgant but with more pace and mobility.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Oct 2016 11:14

LUX

Reading and Chelsea are both competing in Europe. Just because we're leaving the EU, England is part of Europe......durrr

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 26 Oct 2016 11:28

Things I never thought I'd hear in a football ground:
#1 - 'Get up you Egyptian twat'

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Oct 2016 11:29

No Fixed Abode
LUX

Reading and Chelsea are both competing in Europe. Just because we're leaving the EU, England is part of Europe......durrr

Not surprised then that Stam rested some players - we have a key European game coming up on Saturday.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Oct 2016 11:39

Think the team selection was fine. Pretty much the team I wanted to see with who was available. Stam let his intentions known in advance, and it would not be fair to the likes of Harriott and Kelly to be dropped when they were the ones which got us through to the game in the first place.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 26 Oct 2016 11:47

Top Flight Damn, I wasn't first back.

That game was there for the taking tonight. Arsenal looked an average to bottom half league one outfit and we weren't good enough to punish them. Our lack of attacking capability is really holding us back at the moment. Tonight we really lacked confidence and threw away the game with more playing out from the back and more mistakes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 26 Oct 2016 11:50

St Pauli From what I heard, it was, to the tune of 'it's magic':

'Oh Al Habsi, he's ISIS, better believe it's not so'

Have to say I was drunk, and may have heard wrong, and in any case don't think that in itself is a racist chant, but it's a stupid and thoughtless thing to sing at our keeper, so either STFU and think about why its thoughtless, or GTFO of the Reading end.

I heard this being sung away at Rotherham ( last season) by a group of lads

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 26 Oct 2016 11:51

listened on t' radio

good to hear us have periods of possession and forward play instead of just defending all the time.
good to see us not budge from the game plan
good to see the youngsters getting a go in a less pressurised match against very good players and acquitting themselves well.
think in Watson and Kelly we have two very decent prospects indeed.

sounded like it was just our mistakes, and the Ox were the difference between the two teams

chamberlain needs to leave arsenal, hes at his peak, in great form, and not getting played. its ruining him.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Oct 2016 12:02

Maneki Neko listened on t' radio

Hi Ian

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Oct 2016 12:08

Non-match stuff: travel was an absolute nightmare, much harder than the Madejski. If I ever go to an evening match at the Emirates again then I'll probably walk once I get to the Victoria line.

The ISIS chants were absolutely there (I heard "Al-Habsi blew up Paris, he's ISIS...") and they were disgusting, but I think they were limited to a few drunk daytrippers who arrived late and left early. They didn't catch on with the wider crowd who were very well behaved but still generated a good atmosphere. Hopefully the people involved woke up this morning and felt foolish. In today's world they couldn't really complain if they were banned.

Match stuff: tactics were all wrong. The balance was all wrong in midfield. Joey or Evans should have been in front of the defence with Kelly and Swift or Quinn pushed up. Blackett ahead of McShane didn't help. Samuel was too isolated but he held it up well. We tried to make up for that by tucking the winger in, but that let the full backs get doubled up on.

The subs were weird. Kermogant pretty much worked, but Samuel was wasted out wide. We should have gone 4-4-2 at that point. Then instead of bringing on Swift and going for it, Stam sticks a left-footed centre back at right back? Quinn worked well.

Generally we were too sloppy and not patient enough with our passing. We were good at getting bodies in the way but if Arsenal had been any good at shooting that could have been 4-0 or 5-0. I don't think we were so bad that we couldn't have won with a lot of luck, but we didn't deserve any better than what we got.

Al-Habsi MOTM by a mile, an excellent performance once more.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Oct 2016 12:14

Anyone see this chap in the away end? :D

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Oct 2016 12:19

Is that Brendy on the right?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 26 Oct 2016 12:36

In football terms, £10 isn't good money

I'm surprised by the negativity on here as the game exceeded my expectations. We were still genuinely in contention with 15 minutes to go and probably had more time in possession than in the sum of our previous visits to The Emirates.

Anyone going to any EFL cup game expecting to see two full strength teams is deluding themselves but it's a good chance to see fringe players play, particularly last night in an environment they would never have experienced before. If think Arsenal called this perfectly with the pricing structure that reflected the likely team line ups and both sets of fans responded. Had it been £30 I probably wouldn't have bothered. I can't believe people were offering spare tickets at £75+ online, I'm amazed anyone would pay that.

If I'm surprised by the negativity here, I was bemused at the people around me, many of whom seemed outraged and angry that we weren't dominating Arsenal, away from home and raining in crosses and shots. Presume this was their first game this season

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Oct 2016 12:38

Hound I thought Obita deserved a bit more praise than he is getting, I thought he was solid, provided an outlet and looked comfortable at that level.

Couldn't beat his man and barely tried. Just stopped every time he was in attack. Did ok defensively, but was outclassed by their defenders.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Oct 2016 12:46

I've said that's been a frustration of mine with the full backs so far this season. They get the ball in a promising area, but turn and pass into the centre of the pitch instead of bombing on.

I'm not sure what the point of them pushing up and us dropping a midfielder into defence is, if they don't actually attack?

121 posts