Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ali Al-Habsi

by Schards#2 » 07 Nov 2016 14:22

Coppell's Ghost Seems like a nice guy
Solid shot stopper
Confident on crosses
....Distribution is woeful
....... and in Stams way of playing it needs someone at the back spraying passes confidently - he can learn this at Hogwood,,, but I thought it should have clicked by now, @ Wigan it looked like he was playing for touch a lot, especially from dead balls.

The club doesn't have money for a new keeper so no story here.

:shock:

He's a great shot stopper and sounds like a top man but he's absolutely woeful on crosses

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 07 Nov 2016 14:31

Schards#2
Solid shot stopper
Confident on crosses
....... and in Stams way of playing it needs someone at the back spraying passes confidently - he can learn this at Hogwood,,, but I thought it should have clicked by now, @ Wigan it looked like he was playing for touch a lot, especially from dead balls.

He's a great shot stopper and sounds like a top man but he's absolutely woeful on crosses

I'd have agreed with you until the last few games. He seems to be reading them better and getting a good punch onto balls that previously he'd have completely messed up

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 07 Nov 2016 14:41

John Madejski's Wallet
Schards#2
Solid shot stopper
Confident on crosses

I'd have agreed with you until the last few games. He seems to be reading them better and getting a good punch onto balls that previously he'd have completely messed up

The last game I saw, (Forest), they were putting all their corners deep into the six yard box and he was not catching or punching, just palming them into dangerous areas, looked like a conscious plan on their part

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Nov 2016 16:36

Schards#2
Solid shot stopper
Confident on crosses

you appear to still be watching AAH clips from the early period of last season.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Nov 2016 22:58

Schards#2 The last game I saw, (Forest), they were putting all their corners deep into the six yard box and he was not catching or punching, just palming them into dangerous areas, looked like a conscious plan on their part

Rotherham was the same. However we also a lack a tall central defender.

Coppell's Ghost

by Coppell's Ghost » 08 Nov 2016 09:59

Maneki Neko
Schards#2
Solid shot stopper
Confident on crosses

He's coming for them now, where before he used to dither (which causes the back 4 to panic) - under Stam he seems to have clearer guidance on what to do and when - I'm not saying he's going to pick every cross out of the air like Michael Jordan but at least this season the back 4 expect him to collect and can organise with that in mind. He's smart, he's coach-able, he's getting better.
Spend the budget at the other end of the pitch if you want to win more games.

lewesroyal

by lewesroyal » 08 Nov 2016 10:15

Coppell's Ghost
Maneki Neko
Schards#2

He's coming for them now, where before he used to dither (which causes the back 4 to panic) - under Stam he seems to have clearer guidance on what to do and when - I'm not saying he's going to pick every cross out of the air like Michael Jordan but at least this season the back 4 expect him to collect and can organise with that in mind. He's smart, he's coach-able, he's getting better.
Spend the budget at the other end of the pitch if you want to win more games.

Who did he play in goal for? Jennings was a master of taking crosses

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Nov 2016 10:26

He's made Ian Holloway's team of the season so far:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... son-so-far

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Nov 2016 13:22

genome He's made Ian Holloway's team of the season so far:

Apparently Moore has the highest pass completion rate in the league! Odd for that to go hand in hand with us facing the 2nd most shots on target.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 08 Nov 2016 16:47

On this day 9 years ago he was playing against Bayern in the Champions League

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 076603.stm

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Nov 2016 16:48

TBM On this day 9 years ago he was playing against Bayern in the Champions League

In the same team as Danny Guthrie.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Nov 2016 20:34

genome He's made Ian Holloway's team of the season so far:

That's a pretty bald team.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Nov 2016 10:44

TBM On this day 9 years ago he was playing against Bayern in the Champions League

UEFA Cup, not the Champions League, and they went on to knock out Athletico Madrid in the knockout phase.

Also, who was the top scorer in the UEFA Cup that season? A certain Paval Pogrebnyak.

Another footnote to that competition is that Reading could well have been in it as well if we'd applied for the Inter Toto Cup or not given up on those last couple of games against Watford and Blackburn.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Nov 2016 11:33

Hoop Blah

UEFA Cup, not the Champions League, and they went on to knock out Athletico Madrid in the knockout phase.

Also, who was the top scorer in the UEFA Cup that season? A certain Paval Pogrebnyak.

Another footnote to that competition is that Reading could well have been in it as well if we'd applied for the Inter Toto Cup or not given up on those last couple of games against Watford and Blackburn.

It was odd because at the final whistle of the Blackburn game, they announced that they had qualified for Europe and we ironically cheered because they had only got in because ourselves and Portsmouth didn't apply for the Intertoto Cup

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Nov 2016 13:55

Hoop Blah

If they gave up in that Blackburn game, I want to watch the game that team had something to fight for! :shock:

One of the best games I have seen, including a classic Bryn long-ranger.

Agree that the Watford game was dreadful though.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Nov 2016 13:58

Solid shot stopper
Confident on crosses

people go on about how shit he is with the ball at his feet, and his distribution being awful.
personally think he's fine in both areas

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Nov 2016 13:59

Hendo
Hoop Blah

If they gave up in that Blackburn game, I want to watch the game that team had something to fight for! :shock:

they always were(are)

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Nov 2016 14:00

Maneki Neko
Hendo
Hoop Blah

they always were(are)

Amen to that!