Boo-boys down through the years

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

Boo-boys down through the years

by Gus the teenage cow » 03 Jan 2017 14:54

Let's celebrate them, I remember in these halucen generic days of the past yelling abuse at Tom Jones, I also yelled abuse at Sam Sheppard or "the uncaring" as I wittingly labelled him. It made me feel better and moreover I felt like I was playing my own small part in helping the team by inspiring the boo-ee to prove me wrong or if he was mentally weak then succeed in having him excommunicated from the team showers.

What boo-boys did you love to hate?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Boo-boys down through the years

by LUX » 03 Jan 2017 14:57

football fans are, without exception, stoopid, Gus (welcome back. It's halcyon btw).

I particularly loathe the "Sack the manager/sack the board" merchants that one can find at 50% of clubs at any one time.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 03 Jan 2017 15:01

*Simon Sheppard

I never liked Keith Jones, but I've never booed any of our own team.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jan 2017 15:07

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 Jan 2017 15:52

LUX football fans are, without exception, stoopid, Gus (welcome back. It's halcyon btw).

I particularly loathe the "Sack the manager/sack the board" merchants that one can find at 50% of clubs at any one time.

Something I'm finding increasingly tiresome is moaning about the referee

"That referee gives less cards at Christmas" etc etc

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jan 2017 16:05

Green
LUX football fans are, without exception, stoopid, Gus (welcome back. It's halcyon btw).

There was a chap on 606 yesterday who said he physically hated Mike Dean. Like, actually seethingly despised him.

You do wonder what these people get up to on a daily basis to make them so emotionally invested.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2017 16:21

Green

Moaning about the referee is at least 80% of what I do at a game = you can't take that away :(

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 03 Jan 2017 16:45

The only person I've literally booed is Nicky Shorey, and in no way was it to motivate him.

Im sure Ive reminded Jamie Cureton that he's cruising through his career on more than one occasion. I also have had issues with Matt Robinson's back off, back off, back off, back off, goal! approach to defending.

Probably the two most head in hands "our fans are mongs" boo recipients over the years were Mikele Liegertwood and Tony Rougier. Mix in Keith Jones and there was a time when our boo boys were 'a bit racist'.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 Jan 2017 16:47

There "was" a time?

Arsenal away this season springs to mind.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Jan 2017 17:16

Green There "was" a time?

Arsenal away this season springs to mind.

They weren't booing though.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 03 Jan 2017 17:19

Hi Gus!

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 03 Jan 2017 18:23

Dr_Hfuhruhurr The only person I've literally booed is Nicky Shorey, and in no way was it to motivate him.

Im sure Ive reminded Jamie Cureton that he's cruising through his career on more than one occasion. I also have had issues with Matt Robinson's back off, back off, back off, back off, goal! approach to defending.

Probably the two most head in hands "our fans are mongs" boo recipients over the years were Mikele Liegertwood and Tony Rougier. Mix in Keith Jones and there was a time when our boo boys were 'a bit racist'.

Any of those were head & shoulders above Paul Brooker and head, shoulders and everything down to the ankles above Mark Reilly.
Those two are the only ones I've berated since the move to Mad Stad.

Shorey will always be a legend to me for that shoulder-drop that spurred the 3-2 comeback v Middlesbro without which that first season in the Prem could have been embarrassing.

How many goals did Curo scored for us? 55 in 89 games if I've read Soccerbase properly. 30 goals in one season! That goal against Brentford.

Agree re mong boos v Ledge, Rougier & Jones. Same v Jobi as well in the last Prem season. I think HRK got some unnecessary boos at times. Fans get into their heads someone is rubbish and ignore what is happening in front of them. Last season HRK had good games and patches and bad ones. I'm no fan but objectively he had his best season for us since the last Prem season. There were plenty of occasions he got slagged off when he was having a good game.

Typical situation: fan-favourite plays rubbish pass to fan scape-goat. Ball goes out of play and scape-goat had no chance of getting anywhere near it. Average fan slags off scape-goat instead of understanding that fan-favourite is human and prone to error.

by 9165 » 03 Jan 2017 19:08

The Mad-stad victims of the `booers` had it easy compared to Ollie Kearns, and Roger Joslyn in the late 70s/early 80s at Elm Park. Ollie scored an Easter Monday hat trick against Aldershot and was still barracked to high heaven the very next game! I`ve always found it unnecessary and counter productive to dish it out to your own players though I do appreciate sometimes you are driven to it (Andy Hughes springs to mind a few years ago). :wink:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jan 2017 19:21

Never understood the Rougier hate. Seemed to revolve around him not scoring enough goals. He was a winger playing in a squad alongside Jamie Currying, Martin Butler and Nicky Forster. He wasn't in the team to score goals.

Seol was another one. Capable of winning games single handedly. Wish we'd had him in 2007-08.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Jan 2017 19:47

From Despair To Where? Never understood the Rougier hate. Seemed to revolve around him not scoring enough goals. He was a winger playing in a squad alongside Jamie Currying, Martin Butler and Nicky Forster. He wasn't in the team to score goals.

Seol was another one. Capable of winning games single handedly. Wish we'd had him in 2007-08.

Reading fans are racist atheists?

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 03 Jan 2017 19:48

From Despair To Where? Never understood the Rougier hate. Seemed to revolve around him not scoring enough goals. He was a winger playing in a squad alongside Jamie Currying, Martin Butler and Nicky Forster. He wasn't in the team to score goals.

West Ham away for example. I think a free kick was played to him and it looked like he'd dithered and mucked it up. I didn't have the chance to yell at him but was about to when he managed to get the shot off after all. Then it was in the back of the net and I put my voice to much better use. :lol:

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 03 Jan 2017 20:34

Only Reading player I've ever actively disliked was Robson-Kanu. He was a lazy fat arsed dick, and his brother was a dick too.

Loved The Rouge, he was a legend.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 03 Jan 2017 20:45

I can remember Martin Hicks getting terrible abuse from the Southbank. I've never felt so sorry for a player. Yes he was having a tough time but alway's gave his best for the club and did not deserve that. It was a credit to him he came through it led us to promotion and the Simod cup 500 games and legend status.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 03 Jan 2017 20:47

Michael Meaker. Impossible to comprehend how the False Hoops got Simon Osborn in exchange for him and some cash.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 03 Jan 2017 21:19

harry
Dr_Hfuhruhurr The only person I've literally booed is Nicky Shorey, and in no way was it to motivate him.

Any of those were head & shoulders above Paul Brooker and head, shoulders and everything down to the ankles above Mark Reilly.
Those two are the only ones I've berated since the move to Mad Stad.

Shorey will always be a legend to me for that shoulder-drop that spurred the 3-2 comeback v Middlesbro without which that first season in the Prem could have been embarrassing.

How many goals did Curo scored for us? 55 in 89 games if I've read Soccerbase properly. 30 goals in one season! That goal against Brentford.

Agree re mong boos v Ledge, Rougier & Jones. Same v Jobi as well in the last Prem season. I think HRK got some unnecessary boos at times. Fans get into their heads someone is rubbish and ignore what is happening in front of them. Last season HRK had good games and patches and bad ones. I'm no fan but objectively he had his best season for us since the last Prem season. There were plenty of occasions he got slagged off when he was having a good game.

Typical situation: fan-favourite plays rubbish pass to fan scape-goat. Ball goes out of play and scape-goat had no chance of getting anywhere near it. Average fan slags off scape-goat instead of understanding that fan-favourite is human and prone to error.

I think people booed Hal because:

a) he had the potential but a clear motivation problem
b) he is an absolute oxf*rd