Possession Football!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Possession Football!

by sandman » 16 Jan 2017 11:21

muirinho
sandman Possession football has been dying for a few years now, not just in England but everywhere.

Teams know how to counter it now. I think we will find it more difficult in the second half of the season, now everyone has played us and got used to how we are trying to play, to impose our style.

So far this season in the PL, the team with the most possession has won more than 60% of the non-drawn games. Don't think it's a hospital case just yet.

I've no doubt that Chelsea get more possession than Stoke, but they don't base their entire game plan around it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jan 2017 11:36

sandman
muirinho
sandman Possession football has been dying for a few years now, not just in England but everywhere.

Teams know how to counter it now. I think we will find it more difficult in the second half of the season, now everyone has played us and got used to how we are trying to play, to impose our style.

So far this season in the PL, the team with the most possession has won more than 60% of the non-drawn games. Don't think it's a hospital case just yet.

I've no doubt that Chelsea get more possession than Stoke, but they don't base their entire game plan around it.

I think its important for us to continue with the possession system. Even if the tactic has been "figured out" by opponents I believe that the results of utilising the system for a full season will make a huge difference in what this team as a unit will be able to produce on the pitch next season.

Not many teams have the familiarity and experience of playing with such high possession so its not a system you can change to over the course of a couple of games. Having players capable of staying comfortable with a protracted period on the ball is useful regardless of the tactic we may switch to under another manager or another style of play.

In short i think we should put our blinkers on this season and reap the long term benefits it is certain to deliver in the future.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Jan 2017 13:03

We should concentrate on possession in the attacking half... keep the ball and probe. At the back, get it out.... be interesting to know how many points lost from goals conceded by mistakes in our own half like on Thursday.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jan 2017 13:11

paultheroyal We should concentrate on possession in the attacking half... keep the ball and probe. At the back, get it out.... be interesting to know how many points lost from goals conceded by mistakes in our own half like on Thursday.

From the limited footage I have seen (please feel free to correct me) there has only been one problem with our style of play in our own half and that is individual errors.
If, as I suspect, we have an increase in errors leading to goals I would suggest that is down to the tactical comfortability rather than a result of the tactic itself.
The more we persist with the tactic the more accomplished our defenders will be at utilising it which should lead to the error rate dropping.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Jan 2017 14:13

pwb Well! after seeing the Everton - Man City match finish 4-0 to Everton and Man City having 71% possession, I am starting to doubt possession football works in the English game? :roll:
I didn't see the game, but I'm guessing City didn't have possession when those 4 goals were scored.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Jan 2017 14:37

pwb Where in my post did I say the wheels were coming off! All I was saying is that I was starting to doubt possession football in this country.

There's nothing

RFC had been getting compared rightly or wrongly to Man City & Barcelona and when both teams are not running away with their respective leagues, then you can understand why I am stating to doubt possession football!

That also doesn't make sense. Not every team can run away with their respective league. There's no indication that they're losing because they play possession football - and I'm not even sure that Barcelona still do.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jan 2017 17:58

NewCorkSeth
paultheroyal We should concentrate on possession in the attacking half... keep the ball and probe. At the back, get it out.... be interesting to know how many points lost from goals conceded by mistakes in our own half like on Thursday.

From the limited footage I have seen (please feel free to correct me) there has only been one problem with our style of play in our own half and that is individual errors.
If, as I suspect, we have an increase in errors leading to goals I would suggest that is down to the tactical comfortability rather than a result of the tactic itself.
The more we persist with the tactic the more accomplished our defenders will be at utilising it which should lead to the error rate dropping.

That's fair. The more used to it we get, and to the challenges presented by teams defending against it, the better decisions we'll make about when to up the tempo and where, whether it's through short passes or a ball over the top. QPR was a cluster of poor performances and some selection issues. It was not an example of a system not working.

And passing back to the defence can drag teams forward opening up space over the top or down a different flank. It's also very useful to be able to maintain possession at the back to give forwards a rest period. As long as we don't lose control of the game in that time and can turn it back on again.

We're not there yet, and we're lacking the right players in some areas, but no one should expect a new manager, particularly inexperienced ones, to get teams fully up to speed in half a season. We've had way too many changes, and even if Stam was actively doing a shit job and we were in the bottom half, we desperately need continuity of style and direction to build something quality. It doesn't happen overnight.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Jan 2017 18:22

I'm sure if anyone cares to check stats then probably in the vast majority of games, the winning team has more possession than the losing team.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Jan 2017 18:23

muirinho

So far this season in the PL, the team with the most possession has won more than 60% of the non-drawn games.

Cause and effect is key really.

Do teams win because they have a lot of possession, or do they just have a lot of possession because they are the better team?

Keeping the ball does help. The other team can't score if they don't have the ball, and if you are comfortable on the ball, you are less likely to give it away and be caught on the break. But really, it's just a platform to make the rest of the game easier, by virtue of you having more chances to mount attacks than the other team. It doesn't make you more likely to score from your attacks, or less likely to concede when not in possession.

Our problem isn't the passing style. It's a lack of creativity, coupled with a lack of striking options up front.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jan 2017 18:37

Mid Sussex Royal I'm sure if anyone cares to check stats then probably in the vast majority of games, the winning team has more possession than the losing team.

Except for the wonderful exception of Pulisball at stoke.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Jan 2017 19:25

People seem to be missing the fact that arguably our most influential player and defender has been missing during this alleged slump/crisis. Might that not be playing a part?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jan 2017 19:50

Norfolk Royal People seem to be missing the fact that arguably our most influential player and defender has been missing during this alleged slump/crisis. Might that not be playing a part?

I think the boo boys are ignoring that fact..

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jan 2017 20:07

tmesis
muirinho

So far this season in the PL, the team with the most possession has won more than 60% of the non-drawn games.

Cause and effect is key really.

Do teams win because they have a lot of possession, or do they just have a lot of possession because they are the better team?

Keeping the ball does help. The other team can't score if they don't have the ball, and if you are comfortable on the ball, you are less likely to give it away and be caught on the break. But really, it's just a platform to make the rest of the game easier, by virtue of you having more chances to mount attacks than the other team. It doesn't make you more likely to score from your attacks, or less likely to concede when not in possession.

Our problem isn't the passing style. It's a lack of creativity, coupled with a lack of striking options up front.

They can if Gunter's trying to head it. :wink:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Jan 2017 09:42

You're getting very boring with your Gunter hating Ian.

Gunter is an excellent right back. I can't think of anyone else in the Championship or half the Premiership that I would rather have in his position. You should chill out a little bit. Support your team.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Jan 2017 09:47

Top Flight I can't think of anyone else in the Championship or half the Premiership that I would rather have in his position.

rofl

Top Flight strikes again

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Jan 2017 09:55

Top Flight You're getting very boring with your Gunter hating Ian.

Gunter is an excellent right back. I can't think of anyone else in the Championship or half the Premiership that I would rather have in his position. You should chill out a little bit. Support your team.

Think you're the one who needs to chill Top Flight. That og was pretty funny.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Jan 2017 10:38

Norfolk Royal People seem to be missing the fact that arguably our most influential player and defender has been missing during this alleged slump/crisis. Might that not be playing a part?

Moore is by far our most influential defender.
But I agree that losing McShane has disrupted us. Joey just isn't an instinctive defender. The rest of the defence don't trust him. So he gets out of position and the knock on effect means Moore and the full backs are out of position too as they try and cover him. Inevitably our defence looks like a leaky colander (are colander design d to be leaky though ?). Stick McShane back in and the whole thing tightens up again as players just do their job rather than trying to also do someone else's job.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 17 Jan 2017 10:41

genome
Top Flight I can't think of anyone else in the Championship or half the Premiership that I would rather have in his position.

rofl

Top Flight strikes again

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is on par with "McDermott is a tactical genius and should never have been sacked"

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Jan 2017 10:50

:D

I'm sure Chris agrees with me!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jan 2017 11:31

Top Flight You're getting very boring with your Gunter hating Ian.

Gunter is an excellent right back. I can't think of anyone else in the Championship or half the Premiership that I would rather have in his position.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha I needed that, thank you Top Flight.