Rival Watch

17149 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Apr 2017 23:10

Jagermesiter1871 Brighton 3rd and Leeds 7th would be the ideal, followed by a tight play off final win for us over the former, courtesy of a triple deflected hand ball offside goal by Kermorgant in the 94th minute.

After Kermorgant escaped with just a booking for beating Liam Rosenior to death with his own boot.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Apr 2017 01:26

genome Brentford 2 Leeds 0 :lol:

This makes me happy.

Bazooka Joe

by Bazooka Joe » 05 Apr 2017 08:23

The Geordies don't have an easy run in either! So some panic will set in if the lose one of the next two after tonights which are Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Apr 2017 08:31

Current league standing for the top half of the Championship from the BBC

Brighton and Newcastle really have the autos tied up. Take a miracle for either of those to drop into the play offs

Likewise Reading and Huddersfield really have playoff berths more or less booked. To be honest with the games sides below them still have left it would be virtually impossible for them to miss out from here.

Battle is on for the remaining two places, though I think the top 6 teams as they are now will be the top 6 at the end of the league season.

So Reading v Yorkshire then.

One other annoying fact. Of the teams currently in the top 12 Reading still have to play at Norwich and Villa but their away record for the other 9 is won 1 and lost 8 with 6 goals scored and 25 conceded :shock:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Apr 2017 08:45

Interesting that given we lack a decent striker and don't create enough chances but are still the top scorers amongst the current playoff sides....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Apr 2017 08:49

I think Fulham have bought into their own hype, hence their sudden terrible form. After beating Newcastle they were making a lot of noise about how great they were, Sessegnon being the next Messi, Cairney being worth 25mil etc. I just don't think they are that good.

Sounds like they could have been absolutely thumped last night as well. I'd fancy them in the play offs to be honest

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Apr 2017 09:01

Hound I think Fulham have bought into their own hype, hence their sudden terrible form. After beating Newcastle they were making a lot of noise about how great they were, Sessegnon being the next Messi, Cairney being worth 25mil etc. I just don't think they are that good.

Sounds like they could have been absolutely thumped last night as well. I'd fancy them in the play offs to be honest

Personally I don't think they'll make it. Looking at their remaining fixtures I reckon they'll only get another 8-10 points which I think will just put them outside.

For the record Reading currently need another 10 points to be mathematically sure of the play offs. Though, at the end of the day I think getting that number of points will actually confirm 3rd or 4th place.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 Apr 2017 09:09

I said after the win at the weekend that two more victories would do it, and I'll stick by that. Fulham aren't going to win 4 of 6, and Preston won't win 5 of them. I think we're there. Battle on for 3rd now - I'd sooner Sheff Weds than Leeds in the playoffs.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Apr 2017 09:25

Sutekh
Hound I think Fulham have bought into their own hype, hence their sudden terrible form. After beating Newcastle they were making a lot of noise about how great they were, Sessegnon being the next Messi, Cairney being worth 25mil etc. I just don't think they are that good.

Personally I don't think they'll make it. Looking at their remaining fixtures I reckon they'll only get another 8-10 points which I think will just put them outside.

For the record Reading currently need another 10 points to be mathematically sure of the play offs. Though, at the end of the day I think getting that number of points will actually confirm 3rd or 4th place.

Is that factoring in teams playing each other ?
I agree that we are looking very strong for 3rd/4th now. We're getting players back from injury at a good time too - our defensive options are suddenly bewilderingly good. Get Joey and Evans fit and McLeary back on form and the squad is well set for the final push.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 05 Apr 2017 09:33

Jagermesiter1871 Brighton 3rd and Leeds 7th would be the ideal, followed by a tight play off final win for us over the former, courtesy of a triple deflected hand ball offside goal by Kermorgant in the 94th minute.

The QPR win against Derby a couple of seasons ago was the perfect play off final win. Battered for 85 minutes but win 1-0. Probably Grabban to score coming on a sub.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Apr 2017 09:45

We have those two games that realistically should be as easy as any all season in Rotherham and Wigan at home. That really should be 6 points, which will make it virtually impossible for us to drop out of the top 6

The way we are playing, I reckon we'll get something at Norwich as well. Villa is probably a defeat, but I'd be surprised if we dropped too many points from the other games.

Definitely a shout for Preston squeezing into 6th. They seem to have found a method that is working for them and have some good players up front. I think it will end up Leeds and Sheff Weds though unfortunately

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 05 Apr 2017 10:09

Assuming we were to finish 3-5th, whats everyones preference for potential opponents?

1) Wednesday - one of the few top teams we've beaten away.
2) Fulham - 5 nil match aside I think we ought to deal with them
3) Leeds - convincing win on Saturday but I think there's too much riding on this fixture with all the trash talk lately - would be too painful to lose.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Apr 2017 10:20

Royal With Cheese

The QPR win against Derby a couple of seasons ago was the perfect play off final win. Battered for 85 minutes but win 1-0. Probably Grabban to score coming on a sub.

With 10 men as well.

George_

by George_ » 05 Apr 2017 10:27

Royal Tezza Assuming we were to finish 3-5th, whats everyones preference for potential opponents?

3) Leeds - convincing win on Saturday but I think there's too much riding on this fixture with all the trash talk lately - would be too painful to lose.

For non footballing reasons would like Fulham purely for a Friday evening KO at the Cottage. Would be fun.

For footballing reasons would prefer facing Leeds in the semi's than at Wembley.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Apr 2017 10:54

Royal Tezza Assuming we were to finish 3-5th, whats everyones preference for potential opponents?

Anyone but Fulham. They are the one team who have always got the better of us (despite us winning one) in 2 1/2 matches.

There style of play does not suit us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Apr 2017 10:57

We could beat or lose to all of them to be honest. I really haven't got a preference, I see them all as about the same standard, which is about the same as us.

I didn't think much of Sheff Weds when I watched them, but on paper they probably are the strongest side, with a lot of attacking options.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 05 Apr 2017 11:47

Pepe the Horseman
Royal With Cheese

With 10 men as well.

I'd take that!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Apr 2017 12:08

That's the problem with Fulham. On their day they can be one of the best teams in the division as proved by smashing us and Huddersfield 5-0, Newcastle away...etc

But they're too inconsistent and which is why they are where they are. Even after the Newcastle game I said I'm not convinced Fulham are all that though and they're just going through a really good patch of form. They still could nab a playoff spot and I wouldn't put it past them especially with Wednesday's run in.

I wouldn't want to play them in the playoffs though, you don't know what you'll get from them. The first half of fogg8 was ridiculous how easily they they cut through us. Tbh I'd rather play Leeds, Wednesday or Huddersfield than Fulham.

Under Rowett though I fancy Derby for a cheeky late run for 6th, probably won't get it but it's going to be pretty close. Put it this way I'm glad we've already played them twice as I think they'll be a different proposition now.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Apr 2017 12:14

Huddersfield

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 05 Apr 2017 12:41

Can't ignore Preston as well tbf... Though next two games of Leeds and Newcastle could end that speculation.

17149 posts