Rival Watch

17149 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Apr 2017 09:24

Speaks volumes of the spirit within the squad that Glenn Murray fcuked off to an executive box to celebrate with his missus.

Still, it's reassuring that they still compare themselves to what we were doing over a decade ago.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 25 Apr 2017 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Davezk

by Davezk » 25 Apr 2017 09:25

Anyone have a photo to confirm the presence of balloons, party hats and cake?

lewesroyal

by lewesroyal » 25 Apr 2017 09:25

bobby1413
Norfolk Royal
Winchester Royal http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/15242379.Party_was_an_eye_opener_for_Sidwell___and_the_Premier_League_might_be_for_colleagues/?ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Steve Sidwell - "When we did it with Reading ten or 11 years ago, that looked like a kids’ party at McDonald’s compared to last Monday"...

Odd thing to say.

I don't really get what he means - either way it's a bit of a needless thing to say.

It's a throwaway comment to their own local rag. He's not going to say any different really is he?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 25 Apr 2017 09:36

lewesroyal It's a throwaway comment to their own local rag. He's not going to say any different really is he?

Of course he could have. He could have said "Memories from that time for me will always be with me, it's the same here at Brighton - it's always something really special".

Why feel the need to belittle the achievement and time of 05/06 by comparing it to the current time.

Not sure why he's even bringing Reading into it.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Apr 2017 09:41

lewesroyal
bobby1413
Norfolk Royal
Odd thing to say.

I don't really get what he means - either way it's a bit of a needless thing to say.

It's a throwaway comment to their own local rag. He's not going to say any different really is he?

Also lets be honest. There was still half a season left when we clinched that promotion. Also securing it in front of your own fans makes a bit of a difference too as Leigertwood will testify.

But yes , not something to get too upset about. He's suggesting the likes of Shorey, Ingimarrsson and Gunnarsson were a little more understated (boring). Hardly earth shattering.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Apr 2017 09:43

Unsurprisingly NSC have caught onto this and in the replies so far we've had:

- Tinpot
- We are clueless/embarrassing
- Pitch invasion for 7th

Just waiting for a link to the song to be posted and that's full house

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Apr 2017 10:21

Be interesting to see if Brighton do as well as our team promoted in 2005/6. I'd hazard a guess they won't.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Apr 2017 12:51

I enjoyed reading Mr. Low's in-depth analysis about our chances this morning. It expertly deduced that we can either confirm our place in the playoffs, or miss out, and if we do get in, we can either go up or not. :idea:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... n-12937672

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 25 Apr 2017 13:38

bobby1413
lewesroyal It's a throwaway comment to their own local rag. He's not going to say any different really is he?

Of course he could have. He could have said "Memories from that time for me will always be with me, it's the same here at Brighton - it's always something really special".

Why feel the need to belittle the achievement and time of 05/06 by comparing it to the current time.

Not sure why he's even bringing Reading into it.

I had some business connections with the players between 03 and 07 and Sidwell was a client at the time.

I can confirm that he was very hacked off with Reading for:

a). Not giving him a new contract on the money he and his agent felt he was worth (rumoured as £20k a week)
b). after he decided to let his contract run down, he was not picked for the last home game of the season, even as a sub, meaning he would not have a chance to say goodbye to the fans and he saw that as an insult after all he had contributed.

I spoke to him at the last game (v Watford) and his mood was foul. So in answer to your question, I suspect his memories of his time with Reading are tainted by the above points and to a degree, he probably felt vindicated because he went on to sign for Chelsea for a rumoured £50k a week.

But, when I knew him, he was a nice guy and very home and family focussed.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Apr 2017 15:30

Apparently people still think Leeds are more likely to get promoted then us, despite them almost certainly not even finishing in the playoffs.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Apr 2017 15:38

Because Leeds have 8 billion fans and they are more likely to log on and vote for themselves?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Apr 2017 15:48

genome Because Leeds have 8 billion fans and they are more likely to log on and vote for themselves?

I thought 99% were feral knuckle draggers with barely enough access to running water, let alone the internet.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 25 Apr 2017 16:58

genome Unsurprisingly NSC have caught onto this and in the replies so far we've had:

- Tinpot
- We are clueless/embarrassing
- Pitch invasion for 7th

Just waiting for a link to the song to be posted and that's full house

It's quite sweet really, their wide eyed innocent excitement at getting promoted to the premier league. Let's see how long it takes for that to be sucked out of them when they realise they are only there in some of purgatory to make up the numbers as one of the other clubs expected to turn up and roll over for the glamour boys. You will not beat Man United, Liverpool, Spurs, Man City, they will have lost because they played poorly, not you playing well.

See you in 12-24 months when your naive football dreams have been shit kicked out of you. Congratulations though on winning the Championship, thoroughly deserved.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Apr 2017 17:04

genome I enjoyed reading Mr. Low's in-depth analysis about our chances this morning. It expertly deduced that we can either confirm our place in the playoffs, or miss out, and if we do get in, we can either go up or not. :idea:

I saw him in the flesh a few weeks ago and can confirm he is just as much of a gimp as he appears.

I shouldn't be mean, he seems harmless really...

Did anybody watch the video half way down that page?

The one titled "THIS IS WHAT ALAN CURBISHLEY HAD TO SAY ABOUT READING"

The one where Reading aren't even mentioned at all..? Damn GetReading is poor.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Apr 2017 17:45

genome I enjoyed reading Mr. Low's in-depth analysis about our chances this morning. It expertly deduced that we can either confirm our place in the playoffs, or miss out, and if we do get in, we can either go up or not. :idea:

I actually came on here to dig out the Watts/Low thread...because although there has been some improvements I to spotted this and its an absolute classic. You beat me to it Genome.

An article of absolutely nothing nonsense!!

Its so bad, its brilliant. :lol: :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Apr 2017 18:05

Going back to the subject of Leeds, an article on their OS from the end of last season...

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-n ... ckets-faqs

As a clear statement of our intent to gain promotion, in the event that the club does not reach at least the Play-Offs in the 2016/17 season, we will offer all Season Ticket Holders who purchase their Season Ticket before the May 31 deadline a 25% refund on their Net Season Ticket price.

Apparently they are looking at a seven-figure payout. LOL

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 25 Apr 2017 18:18

Norfolk Royal
Winchester Royal http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/15242379.Party_was_an_eye_opener_for_Sidwell___and_the_Premier_League_might_be_for_colleagues/?ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Steve Sidwell - "When we did it with Reading ten or 11 years ago, that looked like a kids’ party at McDonald’s compared to last Monday"...

Odd thing to say.

Funnily enough I thought the same about him at the time - that he didn't seem too happy. I don't know if photo evidence is available - but I distinctly remember him celebrating alone, outside of the group of players, after the QPR game. I remember the sheer delight on Shane Long's face and all the constant celebrations but Sidwell definitely kept his distance.

I don't know if he was scared of Hahnemann's kids or didn't like Murty's Mrs - but there was something up there as I just remember my friend pointing it out to me.

I had the impression at the time he felt he was just going back to his level, having not long ago left Arsenal. Agreeing to join Chelsea within 12 months might bear that out.

Regarding Newcastle's similar efforts, I find it bizarre. If they survived relegation with 2 games to go, sending Sunderland and Middlesbrough down then there would be jubilation surely? Doesn't this amount to the same thing, but with the added spice of enduring 12 months of insults first from their rivals?!

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 25 Apr 2017 20:13

Wolves 0 - 1 Huddersfield (31 mins)

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 25 Apr 2017 22:31

So that's Huddersfield in to the playoffs, it's hard to see them finishing anywhere other than 3rd place now.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Apr 2017 22:35

If all teams in the play-off race win on Saturday, Leeds are all but out because of their inferior goal difference to Fulham.

17149 posts