Rival Watch

17149 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Rival Watch

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2020 21:48

genome
Old Man Andrews
From Despair To Where? The problem with Leeds, and I'm removing my shit tinted spectacles with regard to them just for a moment, is fourfold.

Firstly, I see 2 glaring holes in their team; up front and in goal.

Secondly, they don't have enough strength in depth which is why they always struggle when their key players are out.

Thirdly, Bielsa flogs his squads to death

Fourthly. The level of expectation for a club that has been in League 1 more recently than the Premiership is staggering. The moment the first three things take effect, the fans will get on the players' backs and they will shit themselves further.

So I'm summary, Leeds will fall apart again.

Oh, and for all the big club bollocks, they don't actually have the money to compete at the top end of the Premiership.

Last point is certainly not true. Over £250m will be pumped in by investors if they go up. There are a number of interested parties waiting in the wings, they just need promotion before they declare their interests.

That seems odd, though, when you look at what happened with Wolves.

Wolves had a very different business model. They had/have a super agent working with them who feeds them his clients on the cheap from selling clubs he also works with in advisory roles. Wolves started building for the Premier League whilst in the Championship where as Leeds are a bit limited until they get there because the cash won't come in til then.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Jan 2020 23:32

Old Man Andrews
John Smith When Leeds go up, will they make a better fist of it than Aston Villa currently are?

Don't think there is any doubt about that John. Think about the players a club like Leeds would attract in the top flight?

Did you mean to quote your 2nd account?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Jan 2020 23:35

NewCorkSeth
Hound
Tilehurstsouthbank
Why do you have such a boner for Leeds?

I've no doubt he doesn't believe a word of it. Its some strange trolling/getting attention effort, which only he really understands the reasons for

Or he actually does appreciate them as a team but has been challenged on it so much that he has become an extremist.

Nope, he's definitely just trolling. It's only recently he's becomes Leeds Super Fan Number1.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Jan 2020 23:38

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews Last point is certainly not true. Over £250m will be pumped in by investors if they go up. There are a number of interested parties waiting in the wings, they just need promotion before they declare their interests.

Wolves had a very different business model. They had/have a super agent working with them who feeds them his clients on the cheap from selling clubs he also works with in advisory roles. Wolves started building for the Premier League whilst in the Championship where as Leeds are a bit limited until they get there because the cash won't come in til then.

As I said earlier this week 23 seasons out of 50 in the second tier or below does not equal belongs in the PL. sorry just doesn’t. You can wnak over Don Revies shadow all you want. ( you know who he is right?)

Also as I said Bielsas model inevitably leads to team burn out. Look at his history. As per FDTWs points 2 and 3.

Well see, but if they don’t get promoted he’ll be off.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jan 2020 23:42

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews Last point is certainly not true. Over £250m will be pumped in by investors if they go up. There are a number of interested parties waiting in the wings, they just need promotion before they declare their interests.

So what you're suggesting is they are going to build a team capable of challenging the Top 6 almost from scratch in 3 months with £250m should they go up.

Big ask and a risky stategy, and after 16 years out of the top flight no guarantee that the quality of player you suggest will go there, not without paying silly money, which is what got them in the shit in the first place.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2020 23:54

genome

Ifs, buts and maybes isn't it.

Leeds are like a shit Newcastle. Big fanbase, delusions of grandeur, but don't have what it takes to really mix it at the top. Bar the odd season or a miracle, the best they can hope for is a period of irrelevance in the middle of the PL before dropping again.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 24 Jan 2020 15:01

Hound I think we can all at least agree on the fact Kent is full of ubercnuts. If nothing else.

Why all the Kent hate on here? :?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jan 2020 15:05

KC Royal
Hound I think we can all at least agree on the fact Kent is full of ubercnuts. If nothing else.

Nothing wrong with Kent. Well apart from Chatham.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 24 Jan 2020 15:24

Hound
Tilehurstsouthbank
Old Man Andrews Neither of those things will happen though will it? Leeds are a Champions League club in waiting, a top 6 Premier League club at worst. I wish football supporters were a little bit more honest when it came to other clubs, so much jealously exists.

Why do you have such a boner for Leeds?

I've no doubt he doesn't believe a word of it. Its some strange trolling/getting attention effort, which only he really understands the reasons for

I wondered about that myself but Leon refers to him as Jay, who I remember moved up there. If OMA is indeed Jay then I think they're probably like a second team for him as Jay used to go to games at Elland Rd.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2020 15:26

I’m surprised West Ham are allowing Diangana to stay at West Brom for the rest of the season. West Ham need players and Diangana is performing well

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jan 2020 15:26

URZZZZ I’m surprised West Ham are allowing Diangana to stay at West Brom for the rest of the season. West Ham need players and Diangana is performing well

Isn't he injured?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2020 15:28

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ I’m surprised West Ham are allowing Diangana to stay at West Brom for the rest of the season. West Ham need players and Diangana is performing well

Isn't he injured?

Yeah but only for a few weeks I think, I would have thought West Ham would want to take a proper look at him considering how slow their team is

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 24 Jan 2020 15:55

Old Man Andrews
KC Royal

Nothing wrong with Kent. Well apart from Chatham.

I would say Medway in general. For several years I went to about 1 Gillingham game a season and always thought I could never go more regularly as it would mean mixing with the locals more often, (apart from obviously wanting to go to our games more often). There was often an unsavoury atmosphere, Dom Samuel was the victim the last time I went (the day Rakels scored that late winner at Charlton), and I remember one FA Cup game against Stoke (when we lost at home to Stevenage) when one fan was so intent on hurling abuse at Jonathan Woodgate he almost got onto the pitch. Woodgate was rather taken aback, and the stewards, which were seated between the stand and the pitch, never did anything about it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2020 17:50

Fulham splashing a lot of cash on Bobby Reid and Cavaleiro. Guessing that’s the best part of 25m

Bit of a gamble if they don’t go up. Have they been that good? Cavaleiro looked quite decent against us but that’s a big chunk of money

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2020 18:27

Hound Fulham splashing a lot of cash on Bobby Reid and Cavaleiro. Guessing that’s the best part of 25m

Bit of a gamble if they don’t go up. Have they been that good? Cavaleiro looked quite decent against us but that’s a big chunk of money

A lot of money for 2 players who prob both fall into the almost too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League bracket.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2020 19:00

Cavaleiro yes. Reid - I’m not really sure what he is. 4 goals and 2 assists in 24 games for a team in 3rd place sounds pretty patchy to me

Literally had one good season (for Brizzle) in a host of very average ones in his career. Mind you, not sure how much they actually paid for him - maybe a lot less than the 10m or so I was guessing at

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2020 11:12

Hound Cavaleiro yes. Reid - I’m not really sure what he is. 4 goals and 2 assists in 24 games for a team in 3rd place sounds pretty patchy to me

Literally had one good season (for Brizzle) in a host of very average ones in his career. Mind you, not sure how much they actually paid for him - maybe a lot less than the 10m or so I was guessing at

10m is the reported fee but no idea how its been structured.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 26 Jan 2020 14:10

Barcelona of the championship looking hopeless at City.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jan 2020 14:38

Jagermesiter1871 Barcelona of the championship looking hopeless at City.

Ironically it feels like the gulf in class when we were down to 10 men against them earlier in the season.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Jan 2020 09:39

KC Royal I would say Medway in general. For several years I went to about 1 Gillingham game a season and always thought I could never go more regularly as it would mean mixing with the locals more often, (apart from obviously wanting to go to our games more often). There was often an unsavoury atmosphere, Dom Samuel was the victim the last time I went (the day Rakels scored that late winner at Charlton), and I remember one FA Cup game against Stoke (when we lost at home to Stevenage) when one fan was so intent on hurling abuse at Jonathan Woodgate he almost got onto the pitch. Woodgate was rather taken aback, and the stewards, which were seated between the stand and the pitch, never did anything about it.

Choosing to go to a Gillingham game when Reading were playing a few miles up the road. Are you a supporter? Or are you a disgrace?

17149 posts