Rival Watch

17256 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 11 Jun 2020 13:06

Jagermesiter1871 We all agreed Lyle Taylor is a knobhead?

not really. He is 30 years old, has one last decent contract in him. An injury now makes him far less attractive for someone to sign for next season.

unfortunate for Charlton, but I suspect this happens a lot more than we think

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jun 2020 13:45

Hound
Jagermesiter1871 We all agreed Lyle Taylor is a knobhead?

not really. He is 30 years old, has one last decent contract in him. An injury now makes him far less attractive for someone to sign for next season.

unfortunate for Charlton, but I suspect this happens a lot more than we think

And, apparently, Galatasary want to sign him and have reportedly put a “life changing” offer to him.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 11 Jun 2020 15:55

tidus_mi2 Gonna throw a hypothetical at you all, fans who have actually experienced the Reading - Oxford rivalry, would you want them to win the play-offs to get that rivalry back next season?

Getting the rivalry back will be great, i miss the good old days playing Oxford, Swindon and Aldershot, however, it will never quite be the same as playing back at Elm Park or the Manor ground.
I never really worked out who hated who the most!! I remember Oxford packing out the away end at Elm Park and there was a cracking atmosphere in the stadium, which never quite seemed the case with Swindon. But i think the most hostile atmosphere and rivalry was when we played away at Aldershot!! now that was a fun place to visit and they really didn't like us lol :D

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 Jun 2020 19:57

Birmingham City: EFL wins appeal but Blues avoid further points penalty - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53011517

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 12 Jun 2020 01:13

Crowbar6753
tidus_mi2 Gonna throw a hypothetical at you all, fans who have actually experienced the Reading - Oxford rivalry, would you want them to win the play-offs to get that rivalry back next season?

Getting the rivalry back will be great, i miss the good old days playing Oxford, Swindon and Aldershot, however, it will never quite be the same as playing back at Elm Park or the Manor ground.
I never really worked out who hated who the most!! I remember Oxford packing out the away end at Elm Park and there was a cracking atmosphere in the stadium, which never quite seemed the case with Swindon. But i think the most hostile atmosphere and rivalry was when we played away at Aldershot!! now that was a fun place to visit and they really didn't like us lol :D

I remember Swindon and Oxford games at EP during the 60s. They certainly held a magic, which matches with other derby sides like Brentford and Watford never did.

As for Aldershot, in those days not even on our radar and a division below. They may not have liked us, but no one ever really noticed, nor indeed cared at this end.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Jun 2020 08:07

Brentford beat Arsenal 3-2 in a friendly with Fosu and Baptiste, 2 Ex Reading, scoring.

I know Shandon Baptiste brother (use to work with) and played once in a training game for his football team in adults. Shandon must have been 15 and wiped the floor with us. He was incredibly good and strong.

Very good goal aswell

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrentfordFC? ... r%5Eauthor

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 12 Jun 2020 14:44

Crowbar6753

Agree 100% we should never have left Elm Park for an out of town carpet land fake plastic and smaller stadium. We lost our soul, it doesnt feel like we are even in friggin Reading.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Jun 2020 17:02

karbota
Crowbar6753

Agree 100% we should never have left Elm Park for an out of town carpet land fake plastic and smaller stadium. We lost our soul, it doesnt feel like we are even in friggin Reading.

If it was up to people like you the World would never have left the 1940s.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Jun 2020 05:37

Unfortunalty things like the Burnden, Ibrox and Hillsborough disasters mean you are longer allowed to crowbar people into the ground otherwise the Madejski would hold a lot more than 33,000.

Otherwise, yeah, who wouldn't wish for the return of wading through an ankle deep piss lake to use the South Bank toilets or crowds of 3,500.

Progress eh? What a bastard.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 13 Jun 2020 20:34

sandman
karbota
Crowbar6753

If it was up to people like you the World would never have left the 1940s.

and coloured people would not be allowed into football stadiums

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 15 Jun 2020 09:13

From Despair To Where? Unfortunalty things like the Burnden, Ibrox and Hillsborough disasters mean you are longer allowed to crowbar people into the ground otherwise the Madejski would hold a lot more than 33,000.

Otherwise, yeah, who wouldn't wish for the return of wading through an ankle deep piss lake to use the South Bank toilets or crowds of 3,500.

Progress eh? What a bastard.

And of course modern plastics, insulation, cladding don't burn do they ?. 100% of the seating at the Madejski is plastic, and whats the cladding and insulation made of?. Elm park had one stand of wooden seating holding less than 10% of the total capacity, the rest was concrete and steel. Does piss burn?.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Jun 2020 09:59

Your point being? You mention combustible materials yet in the three disasters I namechecked, fire played absolutely no part.

It took the Bradford fire to put an end to smoking in the main stand at Elm Park and even then all you had to go was step onto the track at half time to have a cig and there was enough shit under the timbers that an errant match could conceivably start a fire. It was only 3 years before Elm Park was closed that a game was held up because of a fire in the main stand. Lets not even begin to consider the number of cigarette burns either I or my clothes got in the South Bank or the odd occassion where somebody pissed down the back of my legs rather than use the South Bank toilets.

I've been to games where a buildup on the terraces could have let to a situation similar to Hillborough. Even safe standing terraces that we have today have designated spaces.

I cannot believe that anyone who is old enough to have seen the footage from Bradford or Sheffield as it happened could reasonably conceive that something didn't need to change.

The biggest single issue with what Elm Park was that there was absolutely no scope for expansion or upgrade. The Town End was already a wreck. Staying there would have condemned us to lower league football in a 10,000 capacity stadium.

I loved Elm Park. It was a 5 minute walk from my house and there were lots of decent pubs within 10 minutes and yeah, the atmosphere was great so we have lost those elements but the facilties were appalling. Let's not kid ourselves that in every aspect it was some sort of sepia tinted footballing utopia.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jun 2020 12:25

From Despair To Where? Your point being? You mention combustible materials yet in the three disasters I namechecked, fire played absolutely no part.

It took the Bradford fire to put an end to smoking in the main stand at Elm Park and even then all you had to go was step onto the track at half time to have a cig and there was enough shit under the timbers that an errant match could conceivably start a fire. It was only 3 years before Elm Park was closed that a game was held up because of a fire in the main stand. Lets not even begin to consider the number of cigarette burns either I or my clothes got in the South Bank or the odd occassion where somebody pissed down the back of my legs rather than use the South Bank toilets.

I've been to games where a buildup on the terraces could have let to a situation similar to Hillborough. Even safe standing terraces that we have today have designated spaces.

I cannot believe that anyone who is old enough to have seen the footage from Bradford or Sheffield as it happened could reasonably conceive that something didn't need to change.

The biggest single issue with what Elm Park was that there was absolutely no scope for expansion or upgrade. The Town End was already a wreck. Staying there would have condemned us to lower league football in a 10,000 capacity stadium.

I loved Elm Park. It was a 5 minute walk from my house and there were lots of decent pubs within 10 minutes and yeah, the atmosphere was great so we have lost those elements but the facilties were appalling. Let's not kid ourselves that in every aspect it was some sort of sepia tinted footballing utopia.

Karbota has a history of posting up stupid and/or offensive views to get a reaction, so I wouldn't let yourself get dragged in if I were you.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Jun 2020 13:03

Oh, I know Karbota's methodology all too well.

I just find the whole "Elm Park was so much better" arguement amusing. Neither stadium is better or worse, just different and of it's time.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jun 2020 14:35

Not looking too good for Hull

They’ve announced that Lichaj, Irvine, Kingsley and Maddison have failed to reach agreements with the club and therefore won’t play any further part in their season. Without knowing too much about Hull, think there’s a couple of key players there

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Jun 2020 14:38

URZZZZ Not looking too good for Hull

They’ve announced that Lichaj, Irvine, Kingsley and Maddison have failed to reach agreements with the club and therefore won’t play any further part in their season. Without knowing too much about Hull, think there’s a couple of key players there

Maddinson is the best out of that lot. Although he is only on loan at Hull and was released by Posh earlier this month. Thought he was brilliant when they played us back in the beginning of Feb and if no one else looks to pick him up for next season, I would be delighted if Reading snagged him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Jun 2020 14:52

Hendo

Maddinson is the best out of that lot. Although he is only on loan at Hull and was released by Posh earlier this month. Thought he was brilliant when they played us back in the beginning of Feb and if no one else looks to pick him up for next season, I would be delighted if Reading snagged him.

*Maddison

Been waiting ages for this moment. :D

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Jun 2020 14:53

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

*Maddison

I was actually on about Nic Maddinson, who changed from cricket to football at the turn of the year......

oxf*rd it. :roll:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Jun 2020 14:55

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

*Maddison

I was actually on about Nic Maddinson, who changed from cricket to football at the turn of the year......

He looks like he should have changed from cricket to the sex offenders list tbh.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Jun 2020 14:56

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews *Maddison

He looks like he should have changed from cricket to the sex offenders list tbh.

There are worse pictures as well...

17256 posts