Rival Watch

17303 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Rival Watch

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Jul 2020 12:03

paultheroyal
Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal

With 9000 season ticket holders at Reading - its going to be easy for them as a club to open up 1/3rd capacity.

We aren't going to have that many next season, reckon about a quarter of that based on financial impact to people and the worry of catching COVID.

if its the only way to watch The Royals - i believe high percentage will renewal with the remainder upto a capacity of about 10,000 offered on the royalty scheme reward points system, first come first served.

Cannot see it, there was enough apathy in place before COVID-19, can't see a clamour to return especially in the financial climate. Most clubs will likely offer the iFollow season ticket at a reduced rate which many will use to follow the club from the comfort of their homes, especially those season ticket holders who are high risk. I would say we have quite a high percentage of over 60's STH who might just not want to risk it.

I will be stunned if we get anywhere near 9000 stadium season tickets sold.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Jul 2020 18:57

Well, Leeds are on the cusp of promotion now, it's a shame but it looks like the Championship's longest running joke is finally coming to a close.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Jul 2020 19:07

And proving me right in the process. One day you'll all learn to listen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2020 20:26

See them in 21/22 I guess.

The amusement seeing them realise that just getting back finally doesn't magically make them one of the big boys again, would be quite pleasant.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Jul 2020 20:45

They'll be fine. Excellent manager, they'll have money to spend. Can see them doing a Sheffield United next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jul 2020 20:49

Looks like we might get a few more ‘local’ games next season which will be nice

Could easily have 2 of Watford/West Ham/Bournemouth/Villa + Norwich coming down And Wycombe, Coventry and sadly Rotherham coming up - whilst losing Leeds, Barnsley, Hull, WBA and Luton. Obvs quite likely to lose Fulham or Brentford though

Still be a lot more southern

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jul 2020 21:15

Snowflake Royal See them in 21/22 I guess.

The amusement seeing them realise that just getting back finally doesn't magically make them one of the big boys again, would be quite pleasant.

Unfortunately don’t see them coming back down in a hurry. They’ll be backed quite heavily and with the fan base there’s no reason they can’t be a long stay in the top flight again. Sadly.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Jul 2020 21:45

CountryRoyal

Unfortunately don’t see them coming back down in a hurry. They’ll be backed quite heavily and with the fan base there’s no reason they can’t be a long stay in the top flight again. Sadly.

All the bigger clubs than Leeds who haven’t managed to stay in the Premier prove the size of your ‘fan base’ has very little to do with your likely success. Teams who have actually won the European Cup (rather than pretend they have) struggle to be long term PL clubs.....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2020 22:01

CountryRoyal

Fanbase is pretty meaningless these days.

They've got a lot of work to do. Strikers are hard to come by and they probably need at least two much better ones. Midfield will need work and certainly the defence.

They're in for a shock after being the big fish for a long time. They're the little boys now, with their backs to the wall.

And we know how they love to choke if things get a bit sticky under pressure.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Jul 2020 06:35

Also, with Bielsa's style of play, they will be run ragged in the Premiership. It's consistently happened to him with much more established top flight clubs.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jul 2020 08:20

If they can keep their star players such as Phillips, hernandez etc and maybe get another front man, and DEFINALTEY a new keeper as cassila is a liability, they'll be okay.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Jul 2020 08:58

They'll turn on Bielsa when they're bottom 3 after 12 games

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2020 09:00

That won't be happening though. The obsession with knocking Leeds here is pathetic and is just jealousy. They are a Premier League side now, they are better than us. Deal with it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2020 09:20

They've some good players there, but will certainly need to invest wisely and quite widely I think. Biesla is pretty famous for keeping a small squad together hence the regular burn outs, but I don't think they will work in the Prem. Esp if some of the players can't make the step up

They certainly need to do a lot better than Bamford up front. Hernandez is knocking on. Don't fancy Cooper in the Prem, and White is on loan and won't be going back. Costa wasn't really up to it with Wolves and I think Harrison is on loan as well

They actually haven't got that much of a spine left. Biesla is of course a quality manager though and they'll have pulling power. Be interesting to see what they do

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Jul 2020 09:32

Leeds always ran out of steam under Bielsa's style, how that might translate in the Premier League where there are less games will be interesting to see.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Jul 2020 09:44

Hound Costa wasn't really up to it with Wolves

and Leeds just bought him for £16m......

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Jul 2020 09:59

Old Man Andrews That won't be happening though. The obsession with knocking Leeds here is pathetic and is just jealousy. They are a Premier League side now, they are better than us. Deal with it.

Knocking Leeds is funny, not pathetic and definitely not jealousy.
They aren't a Premier League side but it would take a monumental oxf*rd up for it not to happen now.
Yes they are better than us, fantastic observation.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jul 2020 10:18

Leeds need to operate shrewdly this summer. Being a "big club" and throwing £100m at players doesn't keep you up after promotion. They definitely need more up front; Bamford is really not very good and they'd probably have wrapped up the title weeks ago with a better option. They don't have a decent GK, and keeping Ben White is key as I'm not convinced Liam Cooper will adapt well.

That being said, they are good in possession, high energy and will create chances. I think they should do alright if they strengthen sensibly. Just need to ensure the "We're Leeds" arrogance and hubris doesn't lead to rash transfer market activity.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jul 2020 10:35

Nameless
CountryRoyal

All the bigger clubs than Leeds who haven’t managed to stay in the Premier prove the size of your ‘fan base’ has very little to do with your likely success. Teams who have actually won the European Cup (rather than pretend they have) struggle to be long term PL clubs.....

What are these bigger clubs than Leeds? Villa?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Jul 2020 10:47

WestYorksRoyal Leeds need to operate shrewdly this summer. Being a "big club" and throwing £100m at players doesn't keep you up after promotion. They definitely need more up front; Bamford is really not very good and they'd probably have wrapped up the title weeks ago with a better option. They don't have a decent GK, and keeping Ben White is key as I'm not convinced Liam Cooper will adapt well.

That being said, they are good in possession, high energy and will create chances. I think they should do alright if they strengthen sensibly. Just need to ensure the "We're Leeds" arrogance and hubris doesn't lead to rash transfer market activity.

Agree - up front will be their main issue, as don't think Bamford is prem quality, and there just aren't many strikers around or available that can get you the goals in that league

17303 posts