Rival Watch

17149 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Rival Watch

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Sep 2020 07:27

Snowball I did not clap for the NHS because it was cultish bullshit

But I have told my family that I want to give my 6,000 book library to the NHS if they can find a room for it, as a long term thank you to NHS workers and support staff.

The clapping was an awkward, cultish and embarrassing media event where, for example MPs were forced to do it while reporters looked on, filming

Hypocrisy

It was a good thing that lifted the spirits of NHS workers and the public in general.

You seem unnecessarily bitter about it.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Sep 2020 08:28

Nameless

But I have told my family that I want to give my 6,000 book library to the NHS if they can find a room for it, as a long term thank you to NHS workers and support staff.

The clapping was an awkward, cultish and embarrassing media event where, for example MPs were forced to do it while reporters looked on, filming

Hypocrisy

You are wrong.
There were aspects of the clapping which grated (crowds gathering to clap outside hospitals ?) but for many people it was a hugely positive thing, for many it was the only time they stepped outside or saw other people. We have an NHS worker in our road and they said it gave them a massive boost to hear the noise (despite the fact it woke her up when she really needed to sleep)
There was certainly hypocrisy amongst the politicians and political classes but don’t ignore that for most people it was not filmed, not compulsory, made people smile at a very difficult time.

Where did I say it didn't cheer up NHS workers?

Where did I say many people clapping didn't feel good about themselves?

And kids loved it too, etc etc etc

There WERE however newspaper reports about neighbours v neighbours, who clapped the loudest etc

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Sep 2020 08:36

Old Man Andrews

Hypocrisy

It was a good thing that lifted the spirits of NHS workers and the public in general.

I wish people would learn to READ. I'm pn about the sense that people "have to" follow the sheep and that they are criticised if they don't.

Clap for the NHS, BLM taking the knee, wearing the poppy, wearing the prostate cancer badge etc etc

and as for the pundits and politicians wearing badges "for the NHS" when many are actively DISMANTLING the NHS? Don't get me started.

In the 24-Hour news, facebook age, you get these fads, like "Like if you think Famine in Eritrea is sad", but it's all DISTRACTION.

The government's appalling Covid response is or was killing hospital staff (But that's all right we'll clap them, on Thursdays).

The government refuses to give nurses a decent wage rise - (But that's all right we'll clap them)

The government refuses to give NHS porters etc a decent wage rise - (But that's all right we'll clap them)

The government SACKED trainee nurses after they had used/misused them (But that's all right we'll clap them)

We have racists taking the knee.

We get a million likes on Facebook, but the wars continue, the famines continue.

We are turning into a nation of frauds.

"I don't need to wear a mask. I can go out to cafes for my 50% off, I can put a false name on the pub's checklist, I can drive to Barnard Castle, I can break every sensible Covid rule (But that's all right I clap for the NHS)"

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Sep 2020 08:40

Snowball
Old Man Andrews

Hypocrisy

I wish people would learn to READ. I'm pn about the sense that people "have to" follow the sheep and that they are criticised if they don't.

Clap for the NHS, BLM taking the knee, wearing the poppy, wearing the prostate cancer badge etc etc

and as for the pundits and politicians wearing badges "for the NHS" when many are actively DISMANTLING the NHS? Don't get me started.

In the 24-Hour news, facebook age, you get these fads, like "Like if you think Famine in Eritrea is sad", but it's all DISTRACTION.

The government's appalling Covid response is or was killing hospital staff (But that's all right we'll clap them, on Thursdays).

The government refuses to give nurses a decent wage rise - (But that's all right we'll clap them)

The government refuses to give NHS porters etc a decent wage rise - (But that's all right we'll clap them)

The government SACKED trainee nurses after they had used/misused them (But that's all right we'll clap them)

We have racists taking the knee.

We get a million likes on Facebook, but the wars continue, the famines continue.

We are turning into a nation of frauds.

"I don't need to wear a mask. I can go out to cafes for my 50% off, I can put a false name on the pub's checklist, I can drive to Barnard Castle, I can break every sensible Covid rule (But that's all right I clap for the NHS)"

Are you ok?????

Oh and I can read, you said nothing positive about clapping the NHS in your post. You seem very bitter and angry about something hence my comment.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Sep 2020 08:43

Nameless

Hypocrisy

You are wrong.

You're saying there wasn't a massive element of sheep-behaviour, neighbours competing for who was the best clapper, people eager to perform for TV, politicians and celebs making sure they were filmed etc etc etc?

There were aspects of the clapping which grated (crowds gathering to clap outside hospitals ?) but for many people it was a hugely positive thing, for many it was the only time they stepped outside or saw other people.

That for some it is a positive, doesn't take away even slightly, my point

A lynch mob makes some people happy

My point was about the viral spread, not driven by millions genuinely loving, or actually say, donating, or offering free meals. people forget that NHS workers were being attacked en route to work, because they might be spreading Covid.

We have an NHS worker in our road and they said it gave them a massive boost to hear the noise (despite the fact it woke her up when she really needed to sleep)

I don't dispute that

There was certainly hypocrisy amongst the politicians and political classes but don’t ignore that for most people it was not filmed, not compulsory, made people smile at a very difficult time.

There was MASSIVE hypocrisy.

Let's not forget that lack of PPE was effectively murdering nurses and doctors

Let's not forget that this government murdered a slew of tens of thousands by sending out untested OAPs to nursing homes

Let's not forget how Boris's chums are making billions while the NHS crumbles

But they clap

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Sep 2020 08:46

Seriously just stop, you're whipping yourself up into a frenzy. It isn't good for you.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Sep 2020 11:18

Derby have signed winger Jordon Ibe on a two year deal

Could be a good signing for them, he’s still at a relatively young age and IIRC he’s had a decent loan spell there before

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Sep 2020 11:23

Old Man Andrews Seriously just stop, you're whipping yourself up into a frenzy. It isn't good for you.

Oh, the irony!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Sep 2020 11:30

Snowball rather than raging about others not reading your stuff maybe read it your self.
People are responding to what you ACTUALLY wrote, not what you THINK you wrote or MEANT to write

I thought you considered yourself to be linguistically pretty switched on ?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Sep 2020 12:03

Nameless Snowball rather than raging about others not reading your stuff maybe read it your self.
People are responding to what you ACTUALLY wrote, not what you THINK you wrote or MEANT to write

I thought you considered yourself to be linguistically pretty switched on ?

Well my publishers do.

But, funnily, back-and-forward posts on a football site
is not the place for literature.

Anyone with a brain (that narrows it down a fair bit, true) knows I support BLM, support the NHS, support those who serve and veterans

What I am talking about is "viral shit", social coercion, the regular escalation (Poppy day being a fantastic example), the abject silliness of CLAPPING to support the NHS, MPs being obligated to clap even if they don't want to, while at the same time, ripping the NHS to shreds, KILLING nurses, sacking nurses, refusing nurses a decent wage, getting rid of nurse-training bursaries etc etc

Then add in the numpties who clap and then have house parties, don't isolate, don't wear masks, eat out for 50% etc.

Note we are not clapping any more and soon the cases will be 10,000 a day again, thousands will die.

I don't dispute that for NHS workers the sound of solidarity might have been uplifting (for a while) but then the media bullshit took over and it became not about the NHS workers but about "look at me clapping".

As for how *I* feel about the NHS, my now-dead wife was a nurse, my first wife was also a nurse, my son's wife is currently a nurse, my mother was a nurse in WW2, and I've already said I'm leaving a library to the NHS.

But apart from the first, almost spontaneous "clap for the NHS", I loathe what it became and see it as at least 90% hypocrisy or look-at-me

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Sep 2020 12:15

I’d complain about the thread being off topic but it hasn’t been on topic for three years.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Sep 2020 13:14

URZZZZ Derby have signed winger Jordon Ibe on a two year deal

Could be a good signing for them, he’s still at a relatively young age and IIRC he’s had a decent loan spell there before

According to Bournemouth fans he has serious off the pitch issues. May be a fresh start is what he needs.....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Sep 2020 14:48

Wycombe Royal

According to Bournemouth fans he has serious off the pitch issues. May be a fresh start is what he needs.....

Well, he's picked a fine club then, hasn't he?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 22 Sep 2020 14:54

From Despair To Where?
Wycombe Royal

Match made in heaven

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 22 Sep 2020 15:41

Old Man Andrews Seriously just stop, you're whipping yourself up into a frenzy. It isn't good for you.

CONGRATULATIONS, OMA. You have reached 20000 posts in less than 3 years. That is an average in excess of 18 per DAY. What a pity every day at least ten of them are like this one. Eight others every day are having a go at Ian (as you call him). That leaves less than one a day where you make a sensible contribution to a thread. The image this conjures up in me is you sat in front of your PC, mouse in right hand trawling though every post on HNA, just to see if you can make an annoying remark. You also have your phone in your left hand so you can keep up with Twitter and all the other social media outlets so you can do the same on them. What a sad and lonely life you must have.
Edit HBA should have been HNA of course, now corrected.
Last edited by The Royal Forester on 22 Sep 2020 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 22 Sep 2020 15:44

What's up OMA? I was expecting to be told to go away ( I am putting it politely) by now. After all that is what you do all the time isn't it?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Sep 2020 15:48

muirinho
From Despair To Where?
Wycombe Royal According to Bournemouth fans he has serious off the pitch issues. May be a fresh start is what he needs.....

Match made in heaven

used to vaguely know his dad, who went to the same gym as me. Nice chap.

Not a great story I admit

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Sep 2020 17:22

Wycombe Royal

He's been pretty open recently about his depression.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Sep 2020 22:26

Hound
muirinho
From Despair To Where?

Match made in heaven

used to vaguely know his dad, who went to the same gym as me. Nice chap.

Not a great story I admit

Cool story bro

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Sep 2020 21:05

Huddersfield’s keeper has kept them in it and now they lead, Forest need to sort themselves out!

17149 posts