Rival Watch

17149 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 27 Dec 2020 07:04

Both Gunter and GMac needed a fresh start. Good to see them both playing well for their new clubs but they’d done their time here. Obita the same.

And suspect we saved a fortune on wages

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 27 Dec 2020 10:12

It’s shaping up. Very tough fixture against Swansea on Wednesday, they don’t concede many and are on a great run of form.

Saturdays game at Huddersfield is equally as tough imo; they get an extra day recovery and the Xmas fixtures have been kind to them with barely any miles covered.

We could easily drop down to mid table BUT if we can keep in touch with the playoffs after the next two, whilst welcoming back the likes of Joao, Richards, Meite, Puscas etc in the next few weeks then Pauno and the team will have done an incredible job turning our fortunes around through 2020. The future looks bright!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Dec 2020 10:22

Jagermesiter1871
Snowflake Royal
Jagermesiter1871 McCleary tearing it up at Wycombe and Gunter scoring for Charlton. Genuinely think we should have kept him and Gunter. Would both be upgrades on what we've got right now.

:|

Yep, great idea to have Gunter to be a really expensive 2nd or 3rd choice blocking Holmes' development . And McCleary really would be great to have occasionally making the bench.

I'd start McCleary over Semedo, Aluko, Baldock and would actually give Ejaria some much needed competition. And Gunter was a great utility player.

I’d start Gylfi over half our team but he’s gone. McLeary and Gunter had to go at the very least because they were massively over paid for the role they were doing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Dec 2020 10:32

Reckon it’s the top 5 then the next 4 battling for 6th

I think we’re better than boro, Stoke and Bristol c tbh if we can keep the main men fit

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Dec 2020 11:12

Hound Reckon it’s the top 5 then the next 4 battling for 6th

I think we’re better than boro, Stoke and Bristol c tbh if we can keep the main men fit

Need to actually get them fit first !
I do think a fully fit squad would be more than capable of being in that top group.
Will be interesting to see who throws money around in the next month ......

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Dec 2020 12:15

I think if we had a fit team we'd probably be top by a decent wedge. This issue is we always have about 12 injuries and thus are probably a mid table team.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Dec 2020 12:16

Nameless
Jagermesiter1871
Snowflake Royal :|

Yep, great idea to have Gunter to be a really expensive 2nd or 3rd choice blocking Holmes' development . And McCleary really would be great to have occasionally making the bench.

I'd start McCleary over Semedo, Aluko, Baldock and would actually give Ejaria some much needed competition. And Gunter was a great utility player.

I’d start Gylfi over half our team but he’s gone. McLeary and Gunter had to go at the very least because they were massively over paid for the role they were doing.

Agreed but I can't imagine Wycombe or Charlton are paying much.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Dec 2020 12:22

Jagermesiter1871
Nameless
Jagermesiter1871

Agreed but I can't imagine Wycombe or Charlton are paying much.

I can’t imagine Gunter or McLeary would have signed for us in July for what they settled for in September though

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Dec 2020 14:16

If we can scrape 6th spot then go into the playoffs with a fit squad, I'd give us a decent chance, even allowing for our woeful playoff record.

Is the 2nd half of the season as congested as it has been since September? After Huddersfield, it will have been league 23 games in under 4 months; surely it will slow down a bit?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Dec 2020 14:29

WestYorksRoyal

If we can scrape 6th spot then go into the playoffs with a fit squad, I'd give us a decent chance, even allowing for our woeful playoff record.

Is the 2nd half of the season as congested as it has been since September? After Huddersfield, it will have been league 23 games in under 4 months; surely it will slow down a bit?

Big unknown is whether we’ll see more COVID postponements. That could absolutely wreck the season. If a club has 4 or 5 games called off then goodness knows how they catch up.
Interesting that while football has adopted a ‘no fault’ approach to postponements, rugby has worked on the basis that if a team has an outbreak the next they haven’t been observing protocols and the club who would have been able to play is awarded the points.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Dec 2020 14:30

WestYorksRoyal

The League season finishes on 8th May so there isn’t much letting up.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Dec 2020 14:34

Zip
WestYorksRoyal

The League season finishes on 8th May so there isn’t much letting up.

Only 6 scheduled midweek games though and at least one football free week in each month. If we get a cup run it will still be a lot of football and we’ll have to hope the injury list reduces. If Rino and Laurent play every game they will deserve their summer holiday, they must cover huge distances.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Dec 2020 18:51

Hound Both Gunter and GMac needed a fresh start. Good to see them both playing well for their new clubs but they’d done their time here. Obita the same.

Yep, agreed. I think McCleary would have like to have stayed, but the club withdrew the offer. I get the impression that Gunts was doing a professional job whenever called on last season, but he was already mentally gone from the club. All pure speculation, of course.

Obita, I honestly don't think would have lasted three games without breaking down, given the intensity of training.

Of the three, I'd have liked to have kept Gunter on whatever salary he's getting from Charlton right now. But I dont think that was ever something he was considering.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Dec 2020 19:08

muirinho
Hound Both Gunter and GMac needed a fresh start. Good to see them both playing well for their new clubs but they’d done their time here. Obita the same.

Yep, agreed. I think McCleary would have like to have stayed, but the club withdrew the offer. I get the impression that Gunts was doing a professional job whenever called on last season, but he was already mentally gone from the club. All pure speculation, of course.

Obita, I honestly don't think would have lasted three games without breaking down, given the intensity of training.

Of the three, I'd have liked to have kept Gunter on whatever salary he's getting from Charlton right now. But I dont think that was ever something he was considering.

I’m much happier that we have seen the emergence of Tom Holmes, if Gunter had stayed Holmes would not have got a look in. Nothing against Gunter, I have huge respect for him as a person and a player but having him at left back this season would not have been a positive move.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Dec 2020 19:10

Nameless
muirinho

I’m much happier that we have seen the emergence of Tom Holmes, if Gunter had stayed Holmes would not have got a look in. Nothing against Gunter, I have huge respect for him as a person and a player but having him at left back this season would not have been a positive move.

I’ll be in the minority here but I actually think Holmes was better than Gunter at right back.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Dec 2020 23:30

Pulis gone from Wednesday

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 29 Dec 2020 00:06

Hate to say it but I think we’ll be bringing up that Oliver Langford sh*tshow come May.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Dec 2020 07:29

royalp-we Hate to say it but I think we’ll be bringing up that Oliver Langford sh*tshow come May.

We may well do but if we miss out by a point or two then, so far, the 2nd half horror show at Bournemouth or the failure to beat 10 man Brumby including missing a pen would be just as culpable.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Dec 2020 08:01

URZZZZ Pulis gone from Wednesday

Interesting, after ten games.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Dec 2020 09:13

Stranded
royalp-we Hate to say it but I think we’ll be bringing up that Oliver Langford sh*tshow come May.

We may well do but if we miss out by a point or two then, so far, the 2nd half horror show at Bournemouth or the failure to beat 10 man Brumby including missing a pen would be just as culpable.

Agree, unless you miss out on something after winning every other game, it’s hard to justify pointing at poor performance from a referee in one game. It could also be argued that we didn’t create that many decent opportunities in that half, anyway.

17149 posts