17294 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by South Coast Royal » 30 Dec 2020 11:20

The Royal Forester
Stranded
South Coast Royal
We could do with a draw from tonight's game between Brentford and Bournemouth.
Will be interesting to compare the teams with our game to follow on TV tonight.

Although both Bournemouth and Brentford are very much capable of good attacking football I would imagine a bit of mutual respect could make the game tight.
As for our game it's Swansea (say no more)- at least they no longer have Scott Sinclair but we will have the "pleasure" of seeing him again in just over 3 weeks time.

Yes would take a draw tonight there though if there is a winner and we somehow break our Swansea curse we will start the new year 4th and only 2 pts off the autos, which would frankly be ridiculous with our injury list.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. If we draw tonight we will stay 6th. However should we win. it depends on the Brentford V Bournemouth result. If they draw and we win, we will be in 5th place with 39 points the same as the Bees and the Cherries who will both leapfrog the Swans, also on 39 points, that will be on the same points as 2nd. place. If either Brentford or Bournemouth win and we also win, that would work out as you say.

I think your "if" about us at Swansea is a very big "IF".
If we were to win there I think it would be our best result this season so far.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Dec 2020 12:43

South Coast Royal
The Royal Forester
Stranded
Yes would take a draw tonight there though if there is a winner and we somehow break our Swansea curse we will start the new year 4th and only 2 pts off the autos, which would frankly be ridiculous with our injury list.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. If we draw tonight we will stay 6th. However should we win. it depends on the Brentford V Bournemouth result. If they draw and we win, we will be in 5th place with 39 points the same as the Bees and the Cherries who will both leapfrog the Swans, also on 39 points, that will be on the same points as 2nd. place. If either Brentford or Bournemouth win and we also win, that would work out as you say.

I think your "if" about us at Swansea is a very big "IF".
If we were to win there I think it would be our best result this season so far.

Given the injury problems (and general omens - on tv plus a midweek away game), l personally think a Reading win at Swansea tonight would be the greatest league result the club would have managed since the 2011/2012 promotion season.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 Dec 2020 13:38

Hard to disagree with that

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 30 Dec 2020 13:51

I know a win tonight is unlikely, I was merely pointing out to Stranded that there could be a different outcome to the one he he outlined. A win would, as you both say, be amongst our best ever results. Wouldn't it be nice if we did finish the year on 39 points though?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2020 13:55

tbf if Joao is fit and firing, its a different game. Esp if Richards was also fit and Swift ready to start

But I'd 100% take a draw at the moment

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 Dec 2020 15:04

We got Baldock and ALUKO

Have faith.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Dec 2020 15:14

Hound tbf if Joao is fit and firing, its a different game. Esp if Richards was also fit and Swift ready to start

Swansea have conceded just 1 goal in their last 675 minutes of league football at home, to a set piece against Sheffield

In fact, they’ve only conceded 4 goals at home all season, two of which being set pieces so they’re clearly a tough team to score against at the Liberty

Obviously it’s important every game, but two things that especially stand out tonight are making the most of set pieces and not giving away any cheap goals because if we go behind tonight, especially with a few injuries, not sure we’ll break them down

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Dec 2020 16:22

URZZZZ
Hound tbf if Joao is fit and firing, its a different game. Esp if Richards was also fit and Swift ready to start

Swansea have conceded just 1 goal in their last 675 minutes of league football at home, to a set piece against Sheffield

In fact, they’ve only conceded 4 goals at home all season, two of which being set pieces so they’re clearly a tough team to score against at the Liberty

Obviously it’s important every game, but two things that especially stand out tonight are making the most of set pieces and not giving away any cheap goals because if we go behind tonight, especially with a few injuries, not sure we’ll break them down

So Swansea 0-3 Reading?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Dec 2020 17:42

Bournemouth pissing all over Brentford in the first 10 mins. Should be 2 up already.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Dec 2020 19:11

Fosu scores for Brentford, 2-1

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Dec 2020 19:27

Jobi saying that Brentford hadn't beaten any top half teams before tonight... forgotten about your old team, m8!?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Dec 2020 19:32

genome Fosu scores for Brentford, 2-1

Bournmouth don't convince me their top 2. Begovich saved them so much tonight.....and indeed this season.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Dec 2020 19:34

Pepe the Horseman Bournemouth pissing all over Brentford in the first 10 mins. Should be 2 up already.

Apparently 10 minutes is not enough :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Dec 2020 19:55

Well the good news is that by the end of January Reading will have played both Brentford and Bournemouth twice and may actually have an uninjured forward that fits in with the club’s playing style available in just a week or two.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 31 Dec 2020 14:13

Ascotexgunner
genome Fosu scores for Brentford, 2-1

Bournmouth don't convince me their top 2. Begovich saved them so much tonight.....and indeed this season.

Just out of interest which teams do convince you?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jan 2021 12:55

Watford have taken a chance by signing Bodo/Glimt striker Philip Zinckernagel, 26, on a free transfer. He scored 35 goals in 89 apps for the Norwegian club as well as providing 36 assists. They must also be fairly confident about him as he has been given a five and half year deal.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 01 Jan 2021 18:08

Bentford v Bristol City and Luton v QPR called off tomorrow due to Covid,

As the latter is due to Covid in the Luton squad, might put our Cup game against them next Saturday at risk.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Jan 2021 18:22

Barney Bentford v Bristol City and Luton v QPR called off tomorrow due to Covid,

As the latter is due to Covid in the Luton squad, might put our Cup game against them next Saturday at risk.

FA rules I believe are different, if you have 14 fit players you have to play. If they can't play do we get a bye?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jan 2021 18:25

Mid Sussex Royal
Barney Bentford v Bristol City and Luton v QPR called off tomorrow due to Covid,

FA rules I believe are different, if you have 14 fit players you have to play. If they can't play do we get a bye?

We may do. A 3 man panel will decide if the game can be played later or if we should get a bye.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 01 Jan 2021 18:40

Stranded
Mid Sussex Royal

We may do. A 3 man panel will decide if the game can be played later or if we should get a bye.

If I'm part of the 3 man panel, just so you know I will vote for us to get a bye :D

17294 posts