Rival Watch

17303 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hendo » 03 Jan 2021 11:41

Zip
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Of course Rafa won't play in the cup.

Tough to drop him after his recent performances though.....

He won’t be dropped. Just rested. It gives Southwood much needed game time.

Exactly. He could’ve kept 10 clean sheets in a row and Southwood would still play in the FA Cup.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Jan 2021 11:42

Zip
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Of course Rafa won't play in the cup.

If as many had wanted Rafael had been dropped for the Swansea game I guess he would have then come back in for the Luton match.
Funny how things work.

Note to self - remember to use emojis a bit more :wink:
Last edited by Nameless on 03 Jan 2021 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Jan 2021 11:43

Despite most of the leading teams winning, all in all not a bad set of results for us.
Only Middlesboro out of the chasing pack made up any ground although 5 teams in the top half now have a game in hand over us.

I think it is imperative that we sign a Glen Murray or somebody as a back-up target man if we are to have a real chance of making the top 6 because of the way that we play and we find it hard to play differently.
Also Baldock would never have been strong enough to shrug off the defender (neither probably Puscas) yesterday like Joao did and no way would he have scored like that second brilliant effort.

I wonder how the owners see things.
Do they realise that to be in a challenging position like we are is a rarity and that further investment is needed to grasp this chance?
One would hope so.

BTW, back to rivals, Bournemouth yesterday did not start with Josh King, David Brooks, Chris Mepham, Anjuna or Jack Stacey, i.e. around £50 million (?) of talent and won.
I may be blinkered (local Press always talking them up) having had a sizeable bet on them for promotion but I cannot see beyond them for 1 of the 3 promotion spots.

Nobody is talking much about Watford but they are right in the mix despite supposedly not playing well, a comment that also applies to Norwich who just find a way to win.
Hopefully neither of these actually improve.

As we are at the half-way mark our position is unexpectedly good but without recruitment I suspect we will lament the injuries that continue to have an impact and might cause us to miss out this season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2021 11:46

Hendo
Zip
Nameless

Exactly. He could’ve kept 10 clean sheets in a row and Southwood would still play in the FA Cup.

Precisely.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2021 11:48

Vic. I don’t doubt our owners ambitions. They would spend this month if they could but FFP will mean we are extremely limited in what we can do. Maybe bring in a loan signing or two.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Jan 2021 11:58

Zip Vic. I don’t doubt our owners ambitions. They would spend this month if they could but FFP will mean we are extremely limited in what we can do. Maybe bring in a loan signing or two.

Agreed it would have to be loan signings but that is exactly what the original idea of loan signings was, i.e. to cover a spate of injuries.

The system has evolved so that often it is used to develop young players for other clubs but our need is probably for experienced players to hit the ground running-we have enough of the inexperienced sorts.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Jan 2021 11:59

South Coast Royal Despite most of the leading teams winning, all in all not a bad set of results for us.
Only Middlesboro out of the chasing pack made up any ground although 5 teams in the top half now have a game in hand over us.

I think it is imperative that we sign a Glen Murray or somebody as a back-up target man if we are to have a real chance of making the top 6 because of the way that we play and we find it hard to play differently.
Also Baldock would never have been strong enough to shrug off the defender (neither probably Puscas) yesterday like Joao did and no way would he have scored like that second brilliant effort.

Do they realise that to be in a challenging position like we are is a rarity and that further investment is needed to grasp this chance?
One would hope so.

BTW, back to rivals, Bournemouth yesterday did not start with Josh King, David Brooks, Chris Mepham, Anjuna or Jack Stacey, i.e. around £50 million (?) of talent and won.
I may be blinkered (local Press always talking them up) having had a sizeable bet on them for promotion but I cannot see beyond them for 1 of the 3 promotion spots.

Nobody is talking much about Watford but they are right in the mix despite supposedly not playing well, a comment that also applies to Norwich who just find a way to win.

As we are at the half-way mark our position is unexpectedly good but without recruitment I suspect we will lament the injuries that continue to have an impact and might cause us to miss out this season.

Just out of interest, how did 'Boro make up any ground ?
We won, they won - no change

OK, ok, their goal difference improved by 1 compared to ours

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Jan 2021 12:04

Franchise FC
South Coast Royal Despite most of the leading teams winning, all in all not a bad set of results for us.

One would hope so.

Wrong wording-should have put something like "maintained their challenging position" (which is what we did) whereas those others lost ground.
The fact that they have a game in hand on us made it feel that they made up ground or at least kept up a challenge that has been accelerating in recent weeks.

Warnock eh?
He just won't go away.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Jan 2021 12:06

South Coast Royal
Franchise FC

One would hope so.

Wrong wording-should have put something like "maintained their challenging position" (which is what we did) whereas those others lost ground.
The fact that they have a game in hand on us made it feel that they made up ground or at least kept up a challenge that has been accelerating in recent weeks.

Warnock eh?
He just won't go away.

Don't we usually finish one place above Warnock - or was that just Sheff Utd ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2021 13:21

Think that was Sheff U... maybe Stoke for a while.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Jan 2021 13:26

Zip Vic. I don’t doubt our owners ambitions. They would spend this month if they could but FFP will mean we are extremely limited in what we can do. Maybe bring in a loan signing or two.

Would look for a LW to compete with Ejaria and perhaps another CM as I have doubts over Semedo’s long term involvements there if Rino or Laurent were to pick up a long term injury

Other than that, not sure we need much else, aside from any possibly long term injuries we may suffer in January

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2021 14:02

URZZZZ

Would look for a LW to compete with Ejaria and perhaps another CM as I have doubts over Semedo’s long term involvements there if Rino or Laurent were to pick up a long term injury

Other than that, not sure we need much else, aside from any possibly long term injuries we may suffer in January

This. Maybe a left back with Moore out. Though hopefully Bristow gets more minutes in the cup and looks good enough for cover

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jan 2021 14:06

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

This. Maybe a left back with Moore out. Though hopefully Bristow gets more minutes in the cup and looks good enough for cover

Or Samuels?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2021 14:07

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Or Samuels?

Know nothing about him so can't comment.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Jan 2021 14:35

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal This. Maybe a left back with Moore out. Though hopefully Bristow gets more minutes in the cup and looks good enough for cover

Or Samuels?

Doesn't usually stop you.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jan 2021 14:54

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Or Samuels?

Oh snap!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2021 17:15

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Or Samuels?

:P

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Jan 2021 21:31

Straight red for Brentford's Da Silva. Assume that rules him out of the game against us?

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 05 Jan 2021 21:32

Poor Brentford won't have Josh da Silva for a few weeks. That is a horrendous tackle tonight v Spurs. The worst I have seen since Mings stamped on Olivera's face.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Jan 2021 21:46

Pepe the Horseman Straight red for Brentford's Da Silva. Assume that rules him out of the game against us?

Three matches , made a mess of the guy’s leg. He’ll be sore in the morning. No sure I’ve seen a player so angry about a tackle, hope they didn’t cross paths in the dressing ro9ms.

17303 posts