Rival Watch

17247 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 02 Feb 2021 09:28

Zip Neither Watford or Swansea score enough goals. No reason why we can’t finish above both of them. Norwich and Brentford are another matter.

surprising with Watford having Sarr, Deeney and Gray - you'd expect scoring to be the least of their worries. They do seem to set up very conservatively - some of their defending last night was lame as well

Swansea could pull it off. Couple of decent forwards there and defensively they concede very few. They look a happier camp than watford as well, possibly because they are over performing expectations. They certainly look very beatable though

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 02 Feb 2021 09:37

Didn't Watford, up until last night, have the best home record in English football?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Feb 2021 09:45

tidus_mi2 Hopefully Sheff Wed or Millwall can do us a favour tonight.

If both drop points tonight, I'd almost be tempted to lump on promotion.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Feb 2021 09:47

Hound
Zip Neither Watford or Swansea score enough goals. No reason why we can’t finish above both of them. Norwich and Brentford are another matter.

surprising with Watford having Sarr, Deeney and Gray - you'd expect scoring to be the least of their worries. They do seem to set up very conservatively - some of their defending last night was lame as well

Swansea could pull it off. Couple of decent forwards there and defensively they concede very few. They look a happier camp than watford as well, possibly because they are over performing expectations. They certainly look very beatable though

Swansea don’t concede many and as with Watford in Ayew and Lowe they have two good strikers but they lack quality in midfield. The Swansea messageboard was full of praise for their performance against us. It was apparently one of their better performances which suggests they are nothing special because they really did fade. I think like Watford they are set up conservatively.
We were so weakened by injuries when we played them that I fancy our chances against them.

Norwich and Brentford are the two to catch imo.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Feb 2021 09:54

With Shane Long on loan at Bournemouth, is our latest play-off heartbreak him scoring the winner at Wembley? Would be in keeping with previous experience.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Feb 2021 09:56

Zip
Hound

Swansea don’t concede many and as with Watford in Ayew and Lowe they have two good strikers but they lack quality in midfield. The Swansea messageboard was full of praise for their performance against us. It was apparently one of their better performances which suggests they are nothing special because they really did fade. I think like Watford they are set up conservatively.
We were so weakened by injuries when we played them that I fancy our chances against them.

Watford and Bournemouth have good squads at this levels but are not firing consistently enough. I'd be wary of them if we were in the playoffs, in case you get 90 minutes when they click.

Agreed Norwich and Brentford are the 2 to beat. Finish above either of them to get promoted.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 02 Feb 2021 09:59

Can’t see Wednesday or Millwall getting points tonight but stranger things have happened.

Agree that Norwich and Brentford are the ones to catch. We could really do with Bristol City getting something tomorrow at Brentford - they still have to play each other twice so we should all be backing Bristol for both games

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 02 Feb 2021 10:16

The knives are out for Disco the manager on the Watford messageboard, which is probably fair given his lack of experience and seemingly non-existent use of tactics. Hopefully they persevere with him for a decent while longer, similarly Tindall at Bournemouth.

Now? I’m not sure I’ve ever felt so disconnected from Watford, despite living an hour away. Despite being about to chuckle along as our goalkeeper smirks to his GoPro on Youtube as the opposition celebrate scoring against him. Despite our captain being on national radio weekly, ribbing his boss who pays him £65k a week. Despite seeing our striker enjoying himself with lockdown parties, twice and being rewarded with more appearance fees. Despite being able to pay £10 week in, week out to watch them from every angle knowing all I’m doing is lining our owners pockets so he can hire another clown of a manager in eight weeks time.

Chancers in defence, central players out wide, 500lb scarecrow up front. We’ll get beaten again and we’ll deserve it. The slide to mid-table started last night.

Xisco’s interview is painful. He’s got no idea. Has no answers for the questions he’s being asked.

Looks lost.

Inexcusable from Xisco tonight. No need to make that sub tonight beyond the fact he’s pre-programmed to make it. The game didn’t need Gray bringing on. The only sub it needed was for Sema to provide more width - and perhaps to have Wilmot on sooner as Ngakia was getting turned inside out all night.

Reservist
It feels like there are some deep-rooted issues at the club. The board have to take responsibility for hiring an under-qualified coach and leaving the squad unbalanced. We lack creative midfielders, we lack goalscorers and after this window we lack depth.

Munoz needs to take responsibility for his bemusing team selections, lack of tactical preparation and failure to improve the negative mindset instilled by Ivic.

Lets ask the question, is Xisco good enough? Are we qualified to judge? Probably not, but if we don't judge then who will set the bar for what is considered good enough, because by the looks of it, it won't be the board. I'll address what I assume is the one MAJOR talking point tonight, that substitution. Chalobah for Zinckernagel is genuinely, quite possibly, the worst sub I have ever witnessed since I started supporting this club, I won't waste everyones time on why it was so bad, we are all intelligent enough to know but it really drove home two key points. The first is that just maybe Xisco is out of his depth, now I am all for giving managers time but not if that time is just wasted. A harsh take? Perhaps? a fair and measured take none the less? I'd say so.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Feb 2021 10:51

Zip
Hound

So Swansea looked good when playing our injury ravaged team?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Feb 2021 11:16

royalp-we Can’t see Wednesday or Millwall getting points tonight but stranger things have happened.

Agree that Norwich and Brentford are the ones to catch. We could really do with Bristol City getting something tomorrow at Brentford - they still have to play each other twice so we should all be backing Bristol for both games

Millwall's record so far against the top 6 is:
0-5-1 - including a draw at Carrow Road

Fancy them to get a point tonight. Agree with Bournemouth, think they'll be fired up after a disappointing run and ease past Wednesday but then on the other hand, they may be low on confidence so it can work both ways

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Feb 2021 12:33

tidus_mi2
Zip
Hound

So Swansea looked good when playing our injury ravaged team?

Not for me. I thought they were average. Had we had a few more back from injury I think we would have beaten them.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Feb 2021 12:43

URZZZZ
royalp-we Can’t see Wednesday or Millwall getting points tonight but stranger things have happened.

Millwall's record so far against the top 6 is:
0-5-1 - including a draw at Carrow Road

Fancy them to get a point tonight. Agree with Bournemouth, think they'll be fired up after a disappointing run and ease past Wednesday but then on the other hand, they may be low on confidence so it can work both ways

Samesies. Norwich will be without Buendia too.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Feb 2021 13:21

Samesies here too. Millwall do draw a lot and are organised. Norwich are away to Swansea on Friday night and I can see that being a draw too. So 9 ahead of us from 2 more games if it pans out.
Can’t see Brizzle doing anything tomorrow night which would put Brentford 4 clear of us.
Bournemouth’s game looks light a tight affair but I think they will edge it.
Last edited by Zip on 02 Feb 2021 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Feb 2021 13:30

Don`t get this Bournemouth signing a clearly past it 34 year old Shane Long and letting Josh King leave for the life of me.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 Feb 2021 14:24

windermereROYAL Don`t get this Bournemouth signing a clearly past it 34 year old Shane Long and letting Josh King leave for the life of me.

Firstly King wanted to go and was disappointed in not getting his move last Summer.
His form has not been good so won't be a big miss.

I don't think Shane will be a starter and that they will probably play a front 3 of Solanke central with Brooks and Danjuma on either side.
We know that Shane will chase every lost cause so, unless there are injuries, I think he will be used as an impact sub.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2021 14:39

Zip Samesies here too. Millwall do draw a lot and are organised. Norwich are away to Swansea on Friday night and I can see that being a draw too. So 8 ahead of us from 2 more games if it pans out.
Can’t see Brizzle doing anything tomorrow night which would put Brentford 4 clear of us.

Brentford are at Middlesbrough on Saturday which will be difficult game for them, hope they drop points there.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 Feb 2021 15:36

Watching Watford last night (unfair to perhaps judge on one game and after all they are in the same position as us) it struck me that they lacked team play, something when we get it right Reading excels at..

It was as if they expected somebody to come up with a bit of individual brilliance and there was not much in terms of interpassing and on the night QPR were the better side with the much mentioned Chair cropping up everywhere.

Our hope is that we maintain the standards of Friday night's game v Bournemouth when we come up against teams that don't let you play and there are quite a few like that in this division where Bournemoth and Brentford are the exceptions-Stoke and Millwall fit the category and are coming up shortly.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Feb 2021 15:39

Sutekh
Zip Samesies here too. Millwall do draw a lot and are organised. Norwich are away to Swansea on Friday night and I can see that being a draw too. So 8 ahead of us from 2 more games if it pans out.

Brentford are at Middlesbrough on Saturday which will be difficult game for them, hope they drop points there.

Boro’s home form is very poor at the moment. We need to see Brentford start dropping points.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Feb 2021 15:53

South Coast Royal Watching Watford last night (unfair to perhaps judge on one game and after all they are in the same position as us) it struck me that they lacked team play, something when we get it right Reading excels at..

It was as if they expected somebody to come up with a bit of individual brilliance and there was not much in terms of interpassing and on the night QPR were the better side with the much mentioned Chair cropping up everywhere.

Our hope is that we maintain the standards of Friday night's game v Bournemouth when we come up against teams that don't let you play and there are quite a few like that in this division where Bournemoth and Brentford are the exceptions-Stoke and Millwall fit the category and are coming up shortly.

Agreed, a lot of tough battling games in February, if you also add Middlesbrough, Wycombe and Rotherham to that list

Games where on paper, we look the better side, however football is not played on paper and we’ll have to be right at it to get the points from those types of games

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Feb 2021 15:55

Zip
Sutekh

Boro’s home form is very poor at the moment. We need to see Brentford start dropping points.

Boro are another team who play better against the top teams

Drew away at Brentford and Norwich
First team to stop us
First team to beat Bristol
Beat Swansea
Drew with Bournemouth
Very unlucky defeat at home to Norwich

Warnock knows how to set his team up against the better teams

17247 posts