Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival Watch

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Feb 2021 17:43

Not sure about McCarthy though, is a poor man's Warnock

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Feb 2021 20:55

Brentford to stop taking the knee, about time, it served it`s purpose ages ago.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Feb 2021 22:28

windermereROYAL Brentford to stop taking the knee, about time, it served it`s purpose ages ago.

Yep. racism and inequality are solved.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Feb 2021 22:29

windermereROYAL Brentford to stop taking the knee, about time, it served it`s purpose ages ago.

Well something needs to happen even if players stop taking the knee as racial abuse on social media is just increasing.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Feb 2021 23:01

tidus_mi2

Well something needs to happen even if players stop taking the knee as racial abuse on social media is just increasing.

Well they`ve been taking the knee since last June and it hasn`t solved anything has it. social media companies turn a blind eye and while they do that no amount of actions from sportsmen/women will ever change that.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 14 Feb 2021 04:20

Maybe at this years FA Cup Final someone will be really bold like Kaepernick and take the knee during the national anthem rather than for the FA/PL public relations exercise at kick off.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Feb 2021 10:02

tidus_mi2

It is increasing and it will always be in society. A lot more should be done to prosecute racists. Social media outlets are pathetic in this regard.

As far as our club is concerned I will back any decision the club chose to make in kneeling in the future as long as it is discussed within the squad and the players are happy with the outcome.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 Feb 2021 10:05

Zip
tidus_mi2

It is increasing and it will always be in society. A lot more should be done to prosecute racists. Social media outlets are pathetic in this regard.

As far as our club is concerned I will back any decision the club chose to make in kneeling in the future as long as it is discussed within the squad and the players are happy with the outcome.

Just remove the social media anonymity.
You’d see seriously reduced amounts if the posters can’t hide behind usernames

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Feb 2021 10:08

Franchise FC
Zip
tidus_mi2 Well something needs to happen even if players stop taking the knee as racial abuse on social media is just increasing.

A big +1

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Feb 2021 10:41

Franchise FC
Zip
tidus_mi2 Well something needs to happen even if players stop taking the knee as racial abuse on social media is just increasing.

You’d also:

- exclude anyone who doesn’t have the required forms of ID

- put an end to all sorts of things we would probably consider positive, ranging from the frivolous to the essential.

Gay kids with homophobic parents who use Twitter to get a sense of community? Sorry, back in the closet with you. On the run from an abusive partner? Sorry, no internet for you. Activists who use Twitter to highlight the crimes of their governments? You can either stop or go to prison. You’re black and fed up of racism and want to pretend to be white on the internet? Oops, you have a name that gives your race away. And business accounts would either be subject to a whole new form of red tape or would be a giant loophole.

We already see plenty of unwarranted prosecutions for things said online, from the man convicted of terrorism for an obvious joke about Robin Hood airport, to the teenager convicted of being “grossly offensive” for posting a Snap Dogg lyric as a tribute to a dead friend. I believe both were quashed on appeal (in the first case, on the third appeal) but they should never have been prosecuted in the first place, and British citizens have good reason to wish to be anonymous online. Even without the police, the social consequences of a bad Tweet can be enormous, even years down the line.

Never use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and never engage in moral panics (“something must be done” is responsible for some of the worst miscarriages of justice in the world like California’s three-strikes law). My solution would be to have an option to turn reply notifications from people you don’t follow off. That way people can use sites without the concern that they will be abused by strangers. It is also our civic responsibility to report abusive content - in my experience, Twitter is very quick at removing it, although could probably do more.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Feb 2021 10:53

SCIAG
Franchise FC
Zip

You’d also:

- put an end to all sorts of things we would probably consider positive, ranging from the frivolous to the essential.

Gay kids with homophobic parents who use Twitter to get a sense of community? Sorry, back in the closet with you. On the run from an abusive partner? Sorry, no internet for you. Activists who use Twitter to highlight the crimes of their governments? You can either stop or go to prison. You’re black and fed up of racism and want to pretend to be white on the internet? Oops, you have a name that gives your race away. And business accounts would either be subject to a whole new form of red tape or would be a giant loophole.

We already see plenty of unwarranted prosecutions for things said online, from the man convicted of terrorism for an obvious joke about Robin Hood airport, to the teenager convicted of being “grossly offensive” for posting a Snap Dogg lyric as a tribute to a dead friend. I believe both were quashed on appeal (in the first case, on the third appeal) but they should never have been prosecuted in the first place, and British citizens have good reason to wish to be anonymous online. Even without the police, the social consequences of a bad Tweet can be enormous, even years down the line.

Never use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and never engage in moral panics (“something must be done” is responsible for some of the worst miscarriages of justice in the world like California’s three-strikes law). My solution would be to have an option to turn reply notifications from people you don’t follow off. That way people can use sites without the concern that they will be abused by strangers. It is also our civic responsibility to report abusive content - in my experience, Twitter is very quick at removing it, although could probably do more.

Excellent response which does offer a perspective that I for one hadn’t considered.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 14 Feb 2021 11:21

Not a bad week for us considering the results that we had over those 3 fixtures.

I reckon we need to lose something like 8 or 9 of our remaining fixtures for us to drop out of the top 6 and if a team manages to make up the gap with us and Bournemouth they deserve to be in the top 6 and we don't.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Feb 2021 11:35

If boro and Cardiff average 2 points a game they will finish on 74 points, (bear in mind only the present top two are averaging that this season so it`s a very big ask) we need 27 points from 17 at 1.59 points a game.
9 wins, 8 wins and 3 draws or whatever combination, it`s not looking all doom and gloom just yet unless we turn into relegation candidates all of a sudden.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 14 Feb 2021 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 14 Feb 2021 11:45

SCIAG
Franchise FC
Zip

You’d also:

Absolutely agree. There are many powerful people who would like nothing more than complete control over the internet as it is the only place where you can find any alternative views to those pedalled by the state controlled media these days.

It does make me wonder about all these recent racist social media posts. I know there are a small minority of real racists out there but I think the numbers are decreasing and those that post such abhorrent stuff would be very easy to trace if the those monitoring the web really wanted to do so. It makes me wonder if these posts are actually being placed online just to cause outrage so that there is a clamour for the very censorship that those at the top would like to introduce. Be very careful what you wish for. I genuinely believe that the freedoms we have historically taken for granted will increasingly be attacked over the next few years.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 Feb 2021 11:51

windermereROYAL If boro and Cardiff average 2 points a game they will finish on 74 points, (bear in mind only the present top two are averaging that this so it`s a very big ask) we need 27 points from 17 at 1.59 points a game.
9 wins, 8 wins and 3 draws or whatever combination, it`s not looking all doom and gloom just yet unless we turn into relegation candidates all of a sudden.

Yes I agree - low 70's at best will be enough for top 6 this season

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Feb 2021 13:31

andrew1957
SCIAG
Franchise FC Just remove the social media anonymity.

You’d also:

Absolutely agree. There are many powerful people who would like nothing more than complete control over the internet as it is the only place where you can find any alternative views to those pedalled by the state controlled media these days.

It does make me wonder about all these recent racist social media posts. I know there are a small minority of real racists out there but I think the numbers are decreasing and those that post such abhorrent stuff would be very easy to trace if the those monitoring the web really wanted to do so. It makes me wonder if these posts are actually being placed online just to cause outrage so that there is a clamour for the very censorship that those at the top would like to introduce. Be very careful what you wish for. I genuinely believe that the freedoms we have historically taken for granted will increasingly be attacked over the next few years.

If I were conspiratorially minded I would be pointing at the intelligence services of our geopolitical opponents. Russian agents routinely engage with Western discourse with the aim of promoting further polarisation and undermining support for liberal democracy, and China certainly has the resources to do it to a much greater extent.

I am not conspiratorially minded. There are 1 billion Instagram accounts, and 330m monthly Twitter users (far more accounts). If even 0.01% of them are racist then that’s still thousands of racists. And for every vocal racist there will be two edgelords willing to pretend to be racist if it gets them attention. There has been enough racist abuse at football grounds in recent years (including at least two incidents at Reading matches) for it to be pretty clear that the problem is real.

I don’t think there has actually been an increase in racism. I suspect it is more likely that footballers in particular are more likely to speak out against it thanks to the good work of the likes of Raheem Sterling.

Could collaboration between the social networks and GCHQ catch more of those responsible? Probably, but probably not all of them - the right VPN essentially makes you anonymous if you have proper fingerprinting prevention. In any case, GCHQ are more concerned about tracking threats to life than “mere” nastiness. I don’t think there’s any serious appetite for mass censorship in central government - not least because it would be a lot of bother.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Feb 2021 13:41

Nearly HT and Brentford getting stuffed 1-0 at home to Barnsley and not tested the keeper yet.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Feb 2021 13:54

windermereROYAL Nearly HT and Brentford getting stuffed 1-0 at home to Barnsley and not tested the keeper yet.

They also expended a lot of energy in our game, maybe they're a bit leggy too.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Feb 2021 14:13

Annoying we couldn't capitalise on it, but shows yesterday's result really isn't the end of the world.

17257 posts