Rival Watch

17285 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by URZZZZ » 17 Mar 2021 09:54

genome I hope Brentford go up automatically... really wouldn't wanna play them in the playoffs.

They have a consistent record of losing the crunch games when it really matters, can’t seem to deal with pressure although knowing our record in the playoffs, that can always change

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Mar 2021 09:58

Stranded So Cardiff's draw, means a win tomorrow realistically sees the race for the play-offs become any 2 from us, Barnsley and Bournemouth?

Boro and Cardiff would be too far back and inconsistent.

Cardiff's form has crumbled since the win at Bournemouth and giving Mccarthy a new deal.

Wouldn’t rule anyone out yet and if there’s anyone who can get their team to hit their stride at the perfect time, it’s Warnock

They’ll be looking at the next four games as a real opportunity, especially playing two “competitors” in Barnsley and Bournemouth. If they can get a decent haul from that, they’ll be right up for it, with their last five games standing at:

QPR (H)
Rotherham (A)
Wednesday (H)
Luton (A)
Wycombe (H)

From a personal perspective, we have the points advantage at this moment in time so all we can do is win our games to maintain the gap

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Mar 2021 10:04

Stranded
NewCorkSeth
Stranded Interesting* snippet looking at form tables.

If all teams over the rest of the season follow their form over the next 10, we may actually miss out on GD - which would be a very Reading thing to do

Norwich 104
Watford 96

Swansea 88
Barnsley 87
Brentford 83
Bournemouth 75

Reading 75
Cardiff 73
Middlesboro 71

Clearly the above has Barnsley finishing W8 D2 (so a run of W16 D4) which seems unlikely.

On PPG we currently get to 78.

Does this table have 2 teams both getting 3 points in the same match by any chance?

Was just a quick illustration based on form, I have not factored in if these point tallys are acheivable given up coming fixtures but for example for Barnsley to get to 87 they would have to not lose to us but we could still get to 75 whilst losing to them.

Oh I completely got that. Just wondered if, as you put it so well, the points were actually achievable.

Barnsley have 3 of that top 8 so just thought it might not be mathematically possible.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Mar 2021 10:38

A bit of good(ish) news.
At Bournemouth Adam Smith has joined the injured along with, more importantly for them IMHO, Stanislas may well have done a hamstring.

Tempting fate (!!) for once our injury list is now much reduced from what it was which is really handy for the run-in.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Mar 2021 11:23

andrew1957 With Bournemouth not playing on Saturday, if Reading and Barnsley win tonight and Saturday against lower ranked teams - both will be 8 points ahead of Bournemouth who will have just have 9 left to play. That would be a very big gap to make up at this stage in the season IMO. Bournemouth also look to have the hardest run in of these three sides.

We really must go for 2 wins.

I'd imagine that's the plan

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Mar 2021 11:32

:lol:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2021 11:37

URZZZZ
Stranded So Cardiff's draw, means a win tomorrow realistically sees the race for the play-offs become any 2 from us, Barnsley and Bournemouth?

Cardiff's form has crumbled since the win at Bournemouth and giving Mccarthy a new deal.

Wouldn’t rule anyone out yet and if there’s anyone who can get their team to hit their stride at the perfect time, it’s Warnock

They’ll be looking at the next four games as a real opportunity, especially playing two “competitors” in Barnsley and Bournemouth. If they can get a decent haul from that, they’ll be right up for it, with their last five games standing at:

QPR (H)
Rotherham (A)
Wednesday (H)
Luton (A)
Wycombe (H)

From a personal perspective, we have the points advantage at this moment in time so all we can do is win our games to maintain the gap

Not looked in detail but I presume for Boro to do it (which would be incredible) they would have to take points, probably BEAT Barnsley and Bournemouth. That would help us...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Mar 2021 11:38

South Coast Royal A bit of good(ish) news.
At Bournemouth Adam Smith has joined the injured along with, more importantly for them IMHO, Stanislas may well have done a hamstring.

Tempting fate (!!) for once our injury list is now much reduced from what it was which is really handy for the run-in.

Can't quite work Bournemouth out as a team. That Billing chap particularly, he intrigues me.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2021 11:38

Silver Fox
andrew1957 With Bournemouth not playing on Saturday, if Reading and Barnsley win tonight and Saturday against lower ranked teams - both will be 8 points ahead of Bournemouth who will have just have 9 left to play. That would be a very big gap to make up at this stage in the season IMO. Bournemouth also look to have the hardest run in of these three sides.

We really must go for 2 wins.

I'd imagine that's the plan

Only six points from two games? Pauno OUT!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2021 11:46

I think Norwich and Watford are gone now.

If Barnsley make it, they will be the form team and appear to have an astute manager

Brentford at their best are awesome. Ditto Bournemouth but they seem more beatable

IMO Swansea, subjectively at least, look the most ordinary team in the current top seven.

Best-Case Scenario as I see it, is Swansea, gradually fall apart but scrape the last point needed to hang on to sixth, then Reading and Swansea squeeze through against Brentford and Barnsley/Bournemouth, we go to Wembley and win the PO Final, going 3-0 up at HT, they pull a couple back, then hit the post, the ball rolls along the line, hits the other post, and Ayew has an open goal but puts it over the bar.

McIntyre scores our fourth.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Mar 2021 11:54

Snowball I think Norwich and Watford are gone now.

If Barnsley make it, they will be the form team and appear to have an astute manager

Brentford at their best are awesome. Ditto Bournemouth but they seem more beatable

IMO Swansea, subjectively at least, look the most ordinary team in the current top seven.

Best-Case Scenario as I see it, is Swansea, gradually fall apart but scrape the last point needed to hang on to sixth, then Reading and Swansea squeeze through against Brentford and Barnsley/Bournemouth, we go to Wembley and win the PO Final, going 3-0 up at HT, they pull a couple back, then hit the post, the ball rolls along the line, hits the other post, and Ayew has an open goal but puts it over the bar.

Norwich gone I can understand but Watford, seriously?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2021 12:09

tidus_mi2

They are the side which is most clearly still-improving

1 36 27 79 Norwich
2 37 26 72 Watford
3 36 17 69 Swansea
4 36 26 67 Brentford
5 36 12 61 Reading
6 36 06 61 Barnsley
===============================

7 37 18 59 Bournemouth
8 37 08 56 Middlesbrough
9 37 17 55 Cardiff

Watford are improving, Swansea are wobbling. Brentford have to win their game in hand AND win an extra game over Watford. The way Watford are playing, that's a big ask. (Haven't looked at who-plays-who)

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 17 Mar 2021 12:21

Snowball
tidus_mi2

They are the side which is most clearly still-improving

1 36 27 79 Norwich
2 37 26 72 Watford
3 36 17 69 Swansea
4 36 26 67 Brentford
5 36 12 61 Reading
6 36 06 61 Barnsley
===============================

7 37 18 59 Bournemouth
8 37 08 56 Middlesbrough
9 37 17 55 Cardiff

Watford are improving, Swansea are wobbling. Brentford have to win their game in hand AND win an extra game over Watford. The way Watford are playing, that's a big ask. (Haven't looked at who-plays-who)

Watford potentially have a difficult run-in - At the top they play Swansea, Brentford, Norwich, Reading and Middlesbrough. Of the teams near the bottom they play Birmingham (complete with their new manager) and Sheffield Wednesday who both have something to play for. Watford's goal difference is noticeably better than Swansea but no better than Brentford. Also, Watford have only played Bournemouth (lost) and Cardiff (won) of note over the past month.

Norwich are far enough clear of 3rd to probably be up already.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Mar 2021 12:29

Snowball
URZZZZ

QPR (H)
Rotherham (A)
Wednesday (H)
Luton (A)
Wycombe (H)

Not looked in detail but I presume for Boro to do it (which would be incredible) they would have to take points, probably BEAT Barnsley and Bournemouth. That would help us...

If we use 75 as the benchmark then to get there need to go W6 D1 L2 or W5 D4. I would say they have to beat one and not lose to the other when it comes to Barnsley and Bournemouth.

They wouldn't want to hit those last 5 needing 10 or more points to have a chance as despite likely being favourite in each as it leaves no room for error.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Mar 2021 12:58

Beyond us of course - suspect we will be once again the least fancied team.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2021 13:18

CountryRoyal

Beyond us of course - suspect we will be once again the least fancied team.

I went looking at the odds and spotted Reading TO FINISH OUTSIDE TOP SIX 1/100

IOW a cert to be 7th or worst.

Decided it was a mistake as they are odds-on to finish IN the top six

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2021 13:19

ATM, and if they made Wembley, for sure
I think Barnsley's Manager should be Manager of the Season

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Mar 2021 13:52

Given April presents Reading with games against Cardiff, Barnsley, Norwich, Watford and Swansea the play off battle is not over yet by a long way.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 17 Mar 2021 14:20

Looking at Barnsley's run-in, and you have to fancy them if they can keep this form going. Their next two games, tonight and the weekend are Wycombe and Wednesday. They could be above us with clearance if we're not super switched on and focussed.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Mar 2021 14:28

Hound
South Coast Royal A bit of good(ish) news.

Can't quite work Bournemouth out as a team. That Billing chap particularly, he intrigues me.

He is a bit of a stroller, doesn't tackle much but has a good touch and scores the odd spectacular goal.
Both of his managers this season have dropped him and openly criticised him but then brought him back and there is even talk of him pressing for a place back in the Denmark side for the Euros.

They have fiddled around with a back 3 and a back 4 and seem at last to realise that Rico is a dreadful left-back.
If Brooks gets fit again then he and Danjuma are classy support strikers to the left and right of Solanke in a front 3 with Stanislas as further option.

In midfield now they have Pearson from Preston, Billing and Lerma with Wilshere as a further option but I think they are missing Gosling who they let go on a free and who was snapped up by Watford and who showed bite in that area and now Lewis Cook is out injured with another cruciate injury.

There is something definitely lacking and the previous manager brought in Pearson to be more competitive in midfield which may work.

As mentioned previously they are now getting the injuries which hopefully will mean that they are less of a threat but I wouldn't want to playing them in the play-offs if they have a fully fit squad.

17285 posts