Rival Watch

17259 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2021 14:29

Sutekh Given April presents Reading with games against Cardiff, Barnsley, Norwich, Watford and Swansea the play off battle is not over yet by a long way.

Birmingham Away
QPR Home

Barnsley Away <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ?
Derby Home

I guess we need 10 points from these, then.

I'd be deliriously happy if we beat those three and avoided defeat at Barnsley

Watford Away <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Needs to be a free hit

Cardiff Home
Luton Away
Swansea Home
Norwich Away <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Needs to be a free hit
Huddersfield Home

When I say "Needs to be a free hit" I mean we can't EXPECT or "plan for" points at Norwich or Watford.

We need to be flat-track bullies against Birmingham, QPR, Derby, Luton, and Huddersfield. Five wins would be magnificent, of course, but rarely does it happen. We will possibly (or is it probably) have to beat either Barnsley or Cardiff, and it's more than likely we'll need at least a point against the other one. Two draws MIGHT be enough, but defeats, UGH! ATM I see Swansea fading, and it may be that we will have to get a big result against them.

You're right, though, we might go into the last game needing a win and a GD turn-round.

All this, though presumes Barnsley and Cardiff will keep their runs going, AND Bournemouth will bounce back. I'd rather be in our position than Cardiff or BMTH's, for sure, and even a draw at Barnsley will be a good result.

It would be nice to get the next six points and see Barnsley slip slightly before we go there. That is going to be such a big game. Can't wait to get on the coach North...

OH

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Mar 2021 14:32

South Coast Royal
Hound
South Coast Royal A bit of good(ish) news.
At Bournemouth Adam Smith has joined the injured along with, more importantly for them IMHO, Stanislas may well have done a hamstring.

Tempting fate (!!) for once our injury list is now much reduced from what it was which is really handy for the run-in.

Can't quite work Bournemouth out as a team. That Billing chap particularly, he intrigues me.

He is a bit of a stroller, doesn't tackle much but has a good touch and scores the odd spectacular goal.
Both of his managers this season have dropped him and openly criticised him but then brought him back and there is even talk of him pressing for a place back in the Denmark side for the Euros.

Thought that Billing looked absolutely woeful in the game at the Madejski. Although, tbf most of their players didn't look up to scratch in that game.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2021 14:37

Some CRACKING games to come!

Swansea v Cardiff
Millwall v Boro
BMTH v BORO
Barnsley v Reading
BORO v Watford
Blackburn v BMTH
Watford v Reading
Barnsley v BORO
Norwich v BMTH
Reading v Cardiff
Brentford v Cardiff
Norwich v Watford
BMTH v Brentford
Reading v Swansea
Brentford v Watford
Norwich v Reading
Barnsley v Norwich
watford v Swansea

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Mar 2021 14:38

Snowball
Sutekh Given April presents Reading with games against Cardiff, Barnsley, Norwich, Watford and Swansea the play off battle is not over yet by a long way.

When I say "Needs to be a free hit" I mean we can't EXPECT or "plan for" points at Norwich or Watford.

I think that by this (the business) end of the season, it is so much down to momentum that it doesn't really matter who we play to a large extent. By the time Norwich comes round they could be promoted and we looking at our 5th win on the spin.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2021 15:04

John Smith
Snowball

I think that by this (the business) end of the season, it is so much down to momentum that it doesn't really matter who we play to a large extent. By the time Norwich comes round they could be promoted and we looking at our 5th win on the spin.

Yup, or they could be on 102 points and we've just slipped to 7th.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Mar 2021 15:08

Snowball
John Smith
Snowball

Yup, or they could be on 102 points and we've just slipped to 7th.

Or my Auntie could have bollocks

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Mar 2021 15:33

John Smith
Snowball

I agree with this. I don't see Watford and Norwich as free hits - we narrowly lost to Norwich due to an offside goal and a very iffy pen with 9 players out injured and are capable of beating Watford....momentum is everything now.

I wouldn't say Barnsley's next 2 games are a shoe in for 6 points either... Wycombe will be direct and physical tonight so the hard running high press might not be as effective, and Sheffield have already improved under Powell.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2021 16:41

I mean we need to strategise based on the strong chance we could lose at Norwich and Watford

Of course we MIGHT draw one or both, or WD, or (Heaven Forbid) WW

but, let’s put it this way, what odds would you want for that double?

33/1?

50/1?

Get max or near max points from the realistically winnable games, get 3+ points from Barnsley, Cardiff, Swansea, then, IF we get something from Norwich and/or Watford woopeee!

Of course we virtually “Know” we won’t get 15 points from the five easier games...

Wycombe, anyone?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Mar 2021 16:52

Hendo
South Coast Royal
Hound
Can't quite work Bournemouth out as a team. That Billing chap particularly, he intrigues me.

He is a bit of a stroller, doesn't tackle much but has a good touch and scores the odd spectacular goal.
Both of his managers this season have dropped him and openly criticised him but then brought him back and there is even talk of him pressing for a place back in the Denmark side for the Euros.

Thought that Billing looked absolutely woeful in the game at the Madejski. Although, tbf most of their players didn't look up to scratch in that game.

Its like all the things you'd expect him to be good at 6ft6 or whatever he is - ie heading, powerful etc he is terrible at. Yet he does seem to have decent control and when he bothers to run he looks pretty quick. Wearing pink boots and pulling his socks right up over his skinny legs do him no favours either

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Mar 2021 17:19

Three letters are all that matter.

W. N. G.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Mar 2021 17:30

Snowball I mean we need to strategise based on the strong chance we could lose at Norwich and Watford

Of course we MIGHT draw one or both, or WD, or (Heaven Forbid) WW

but, let’s put it this way, what odds would you want for that double?

33/1?

50/1?

Get max or near max points from the realistically winnable games, get 3+ points from Barnsley, Cardiff, Swansea, then, IF we get something from Norwich and/or Watford woopeee!

Of course we virtually “Know” we won’t get 15 points from the five easier games...

Wycombe, anyone?

I do get this but form can go out of the window at this time of season as nerves kick in. Remember Brentford and WBA last season.

And us 2012 - three aways at the end V West Ham, Brighton and Southampton - all won as we had the momentum

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Mar 2021 18:39

Forest fans not a fan of their line up, Norwich aren't playing Buendia and apparently have only won once in 3 years when he hasn't played

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Mar 2021 19:26

tidus_mi2 Forest fans not a fan of their line up, Norwich aren't playing Buendia and apparently have only won once in 3 years when he hasn't played

Norwich 2 up in the first 15 minutes

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Mar 2021 19:30

Sutekh
tidus_mi2 Forest fans not a fan of their line up, Norwich aren't playing Buendia and apparently have only won once in 3 years when he hasn't played

Norwich 2 up in the first 15 minutes

Very nice of Forest to show up against us then change their team, roll over and show their soft underbelly to Norwich.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Mar 2021 19:48

Barnsley have a pen. 1-0

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Mar 2021 19:55

That's the sort of physicality that goes unpunished all the time. Moore's just way too weak IMO

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Mar 2021 20:40

Mowatt straight red for Barnsley. Will still win tonight but hopefully 3 game ban may break their momentum.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Mar 2021 20:49

WestYorksRoyal Mowatt straight red for Barnsley. Will still win tonight but hopefully 3 game ban may break their momentum.

Scored a 3rd without him but yes could have an impact and pleased he misses our match against them.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Mar 2021 22:57

Middlesbrough 5 points behind have 4 pretty hard games coming up, if they can stay in touch they are in with a huge shout of making a late charge.
Sat 20 Mar
A
Millwall
Championship
3pm

Fri 2 Apr
A
AFC Bournemouth
Championship
3pm

Mon 5 Apr
H
Watford
Championship
12.30pm

Sat 10 Apr
A
Barnsley
Championship
3pm

Sat 17 Apr
H
Queens Park Rangers
Championship
3pm

Wed 21 Apr
A
Rotherham United
Championship
7.45pm

Sat 24 Apr
H
Sheffield Wednesday
Championship
3pm

Sat 1 May
A
Luton Town
Championship
3pm

Sat 8 May
H
Wycombe Wanderers
Championship
3pm

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Mar 2021 09:12

Yep but to make that charge they'll need to take points (probably winning at least one) off Bournemouth and Barnsley - so if the decent Reading side (not Weds shitshow) turn up in games and we pick up points then it is a positive for us.

We just need to worry about ourselves. Win every game (yes I know that won't happen) and what anybody else does is academic.

17259 posts