Rival Watch

17259 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Rival Watch

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2020 10:50

Mid Sussex Royal
WestYorksRoyal Leeds need to operate shrewdly this summer. Being a "big club" and throwing £100m at players doesn't keep you up after promotion. They definitely need more up front; Bamford is really not very good and they'd probably have wrapped up the title weeks ago with a better option. They don't have a decent GK, and keeping Ben White is key as I'm not convinced Liam Cooper will adapt well.

That being said, they are good in possession, high energy and will create chances. I think they should do alright if they strengthen sensibly. Just need to ensure the "We're Leeds" arrogance and hubris doesn't lead to rash transfer market activity.

Agree - up front will be their main issue, as don't think Bamford is prem quality, and there just aren't many strikers around or available that can get you the goals in that league

Not sure on that. Think Pukki would be a good shout for them, also would have a look at Mitrovic if Fulham don't come up.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jul 2020 10:57

Old Man Andrews
Mid Sussex Royal
WestYorksRoyal Leeds need to operate shrewdly this summer. Being a "big club" and throwing £100m at players doesn't keep you up after promotion. They definitely need more up front; Bamford is really not very good and they'd probably have wrapped up the title weeks ago with a better option. They don't have a decent GK, and keeping Ben White is key as I'm not convinced Liam Cooper will adapt well.

That being said, they are good in possession, high energy and will create chances. I think they should do alright if they strengthen sensibly. Just need to ensure the "We're Leeds" arrogance and hubris doesn't lead to rash transfer market activity.

Agree - up front will be their main issue, as don't think Bamford is prem quality, and there just aren't many strikers around or available that can get you the goals in that league

Not sure on that. Think Pukki would be a good shout for them, also would have a look at Mitrovic if Fulham don't come up.

Pukki would be a really good signing for them tbf, but then again I think he'd be a good signing for an established Prem team like Everton or Burnley as well, so there might be a fair amount of competition for him. I'd certainly take him over Mitrovic.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2020 10:58

not a chance Ben White will stay there

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jul 2020 11:00

Hound not a chance Ben White will stay there

Agreed, think he will walk into Brighton's team next season and I think they want something like £50/£60m for him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2020 11:01

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Mid Sussex Royal

Pukki would be a really good signing for them tbf, but then again I think he'd be a good signing for an established Prem team like Everton or Burnley as well, so there might be a fair amount of competition for him. I'd certainly take him over Mitrovic.

Yeah Pukki will have a lot of interested parties after him. I think the lure of Bielsa could be key to making decent signings, players seem to love him and enjoy his methods. He could attract a couple of out of contract big names perhaps along with more established players such as Pukki.

Mitrovic is a funny one. He is either unplayable or a complete liability who will get himself sent off. Best out and out striker in the Championship for me though on his day.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jul 2020 11:05

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Not sure on that. Think Pukki would be a good shout for them, also would have a look at Mitrovic if Fulham don't come up.

Yeah Pukki will have a lot of interested parties after him. I think the lure of Bielsa could be key to making decent signings, players seem to love him and enjoy his methods. He could attract a couple of out of contract big names perhaps along with more established players such as Pukki.

Mitrovic is a funny one. He is either unplayable or a complete liability who will get himself sent off. Best out and out striker in the Championship for me though on his day.

Pukki could also be tempted to go abroad as well, tbf, especially if there was a chance of a team playing in Europe picking him up.

I think they need to be wary of throwing money at the situation though, look at Fulham and what happened to them.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 17 Jul 2020 11:47

agree with above I hate to say it with Leeds but they will stay up next season with the young quality they have. also agree with above in the need of a CF and a defender for White. I would go Mitrovic over Pukki, Pukki has not been the same since the restart and Mitrovic will always provide goals wherever he goes. could also potentially see Ben Godfrey or someone like that go there to fill the void of White.

i Think Norwich will be picked apart this window and will have a big rebuilding project on there hands.
All of these should be playing in the prem or similar level next year
AArons
Godfrey
Lewis
Cantwell
Buendia
Pukki

I get the feeling they may get a Stoke city / huddersfield style hangover next year.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2020 11:49

linkenholtroyal agree with above I hate to say it with Leeds but they will stay up next season with the young quality they have. also agree with above in the need of a CF and a defender for White. I would go Mitrovic over Pukki, Pukki has not been the same since the restart and Mitrovic will always provide goals wherever he goes. could also potentially see Ben Godfrey or someone like that go there to fill the void of White.

i Think Norwich will be picked apart this window and will have a big rebuilding project on there hands.
All of these should be playing in the prem or similar level next year
AArons
Godfrey
Lewis
Cantwell
Buendia
Pukki

I get the feeling they may get a Stoke city / huddersfield style hangover next year.

Cantwell is a fantastic little player, can see him going to a top 6 club and doing very well for himself.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jul 2020 12:09

Let's say villa and Bournemouth go down aswell, there are a heck of a lot of good players there that could fit into a mid table Premier league squad, a few that might go higher or abroad.

Villa:

reina, trezeguet, jota, el ghazi, Luiz, Wesley could all go abroad.

McGinn, mings, grealish, Heaton, hourihane could probably get into another PL team

Bournemouth :

Ale, Rico, Adam Smith, gosling, lerma, cook, Brooks (when fit), billing, both Wilsons 100%, josh king

Would all probably go.

Thats a heck of a lot of their good players and pretty much most of their starting 11. I have a feeling somebody like Leeds or Brighton or even a Southampton and Newcastle would be chomping at the bit to get some of those players.

Imagine Harry Wilson feeding the ball to a Danny Ings every week. That would be deadly.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jul 2020 12:12

Mid Sussex Royal

Players that could be relegated include callum Wilson, josh King, pukki and then you have the players in the championship who score a lot although Brentford seem to have a lot, but nahki Wells and karlan grant or grabban could nip a few.

I hope they do go up but if Brentford don't there is no way on gods green earth Watkins and benraima will be there next season.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jul 2020 12:34

Simmops Let's say villa and Bournemouth go down aswell, there are a heck of a lot of good players there that could fit into a mid table Premier league squad, a few that might go higher or abroad.

Villa:

McGinn, mings, grealish, Heaton, hourihane could probably get into another PL team

Bournemouth :

Ale, Rico, Adam Smith, gosling, lerma, cook, Brooks (when fit), billing, both Wilsons 100%, josh king

Would all probably go.

Thats a heck of a lot of their good players and pretty much most of their starting 11. I have a feeling somebody like Leeds or Brighton or even a Southampton and Newcastle would be chomping at the bit to get some of those players.

Imagine Harry Wilson feeding the ball to a Danny Ings every week. That would be deadly.

Mings will go to Sicily...

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jul 2020 12:35

Snowball
Simmops Let's say villa and Bournemouth go down aswell, there are a heck of a lot of good players there that could fit into a mid table Premier league squad, a few that might go higher or abroad.

Villa:

Bournemouth :

Would all probably go.

What team is that

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2020 12:38

Snowball

Villa:

Bournemouth :

Would all probably go.

Sure he won't go back to Mongo?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jul 2020 12:42

Snowflake Royal
Snowball

Villa:

Bournemouth :

Would all probably go.

What league do they play in? What are you talking about? Is this some kind of inside joke?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jul 2020 13:38

Simmops
Snowflake Royal
Snowball

What league do they play in? What are you talking about? Is this some kind of inside joke?

Mongo was the home planet of Emperor Ming in Flash Gordon.

For the record, quickly reading the above the first time I saw it as Mings will go to Scilly, cue thoughts of playing in St. Mary’s v Tresco every week....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jul 2020 13:44

Sutekh
Simmops
Snowflake Royal Sure he won't go back to Mongo?

For the record, quickly reading the above the first time I saw it as Mings will go to Scilly, cue thoughts of playing in St. Mary’s v Tresco every week....

I was thinking, working for a Boss...

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 17 Jul 2020 14:02

Sutekh
Simmops
Snowflake Royal Sure he won't go back to Mongo?

Nice to see Scilly get a mention - once upon a time Mings would have had the choice of playing for either Woolpack Wanderers or Garrison Gunners. He'd be head-and-shoulders above a bunch of overweight boatmen and the local painter and decorator still hungover from the night before!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jul 2020 14:54

Love Sicily, even if they did give me Covid

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2020 17:41

Remember when you all told me that WBA were far superior to Leeds? They are currently losing 1-0 to Huddersfield and if it stays like that Leeds are up.

I am a football aficionado, you need to understand that. I know exactly what I am talking about.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jul 2020 17:42

Fingers crossed that Huddersfield Can keep their 1-0 lead over West brom. I really want Brentford to go up.

17259 posts