Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 03 Oct 2022 12:00

Sutekh
morganb https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63116336

Chris Wilder: Middlesbrough sack manager with club in Championship bottom three

(Doubt he'll be out of work for long)

No, next stop probably WBA…..

No surprise but I genuinely thought that was a good match up and Boro would be decent this year

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Oct 2022 13:58

I believe after the recent sackings etc that Ince is already in the top 10 of longest serving managers in the championship

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Oct 2022 14:04

Apparently Rob Edwards and Gary O'Neil are the frontrunners for the job.

Somewhat surprised that Scott Parker's name hasn't been mentioned, unless I haven't seen it yet.

Anticipating that Ince's name might inevitably get mentioned given his performance with us so far and his previous Middlesbrough connections.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2022 14:58

Mid Sussex Royal I believe after the recent sackings etc that Ince is already in the top 10 of longest serving managers in the championship

That shows the state of club ownership decision making doesn’t it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Oct 2022 15:17

Mid Sussex Royal I believe after the recent sackings etc that Ince is already in the top 10 of longest serving managers in the championship

Already Paul Ince is 46th in the longest serving manager table for the entire PL & FL.

He is now the 11th longest serving in the Championship.

Mark Robins (2017) is the longest serving in the Championship (and 6th overall).

Juergen Klopp (2016) is the longest serving in the PL.

Harrogate’s Simon Weaver is currently the longest serving manager in the FL having been appointed in 2009, Gareth Ainsworth (2012) is second and John Coleman at Accrington (2014) is third

Have to go some to beat the world record for a professional football club manager which is held by Auxerre’s Guy Roux who clocked up 44 years in the job!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Oct 2022 15:42

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
So - a midfield 3 who time and time again fail to deliver and put us in the bottom half of the table, when a number of good observers would say "actually, just maybe they are not very good, run around alot but not very good" - you would welcome them back with open arms and replace with our current midfield, working their socks off, sitting third in the league" - sometimes, i am lost for words, this time, well, i am done.

Yeah, you didn't really understand what you read did you. Nevermind.

All i need to know...

I'd absolutely consider taking any one of them over any one of the players you mention except Ince, right now.

Clearly there's hidden meaning to Ian's post that we are missing.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Oct 2022 16:21

leon
paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal Yeah, you didn't really understand what you read did you. Nevermind.

All i need to know...

I'd absolutely consider taking any one of them over any one of the players you mention except Ince, right now.

Clearly there's hidden meaning to Ian's post that we are missing.

In Ian's fairytale world, a player with a decent haircut, dresses sharp, walks to the ground and out on the football pitch with headphones on, signs a few autographs before and after the game, makes him a top level pro midfielder.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Oct 2022 17:31

Sutekh

Already Paul Ince is 46th in the longest serving manager table for the entire PL & FL.

Mark Robins (2017) is the longest serving in the Championship (and 6th overall).

Harrogate’s Simon Weaver is currently the longest serving manager in the FL having been appointed in 2009, Gareth Ainsworth (2012) is second and John Coleman at Accrington (2014) is third

Have to go some to beat the world record for a professional football club manager which is held by Auxerre’s Guy Roux who clocked up 44 years in the job!

That's crazy. So half the entire league have changed managers in just over 6 months

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Oct 2022 07:33

Our next seasons league rivals Nottingham Forest are planning to sack Steve Cooper after getting them up. Shocking really, it's not his fault that they don't have the quality for the premier league.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Oct 2022 07:34

Mid Sussex Royal
Sutekh

That's crazy. So half the entire league have changed managers in just over 6 months

Yup it shows how desperate owners are for immediate success. Bruce will be sacked next as they shouldn't be at the bottom of the league with their squad.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Oct 2022 08:21

Royal_jimmy Our next seasons league rivals Nottingham Forest are planning to sack Steve Cooper after getting them up. Shocking really, it's not his fault that they don't have the quality for the premier league.

If only they had backed him in the transfer market.
How you expect a manager to build a team with only 24 new signings I will never know !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2022 08:39

Nameless
Royal_jimmy Our next seasons league rivals Nottingham Forest are planning to sack Steve Cooper after getting them up. Shocking really, it's not his fault that they don't have the quality for the premier league.

If only they had backed him in the transfer market.
How you expect a manager to build a team with only 24 new signings I will never know !

Don’t know what to think on this really. Depends I guess how much the signings were Coopers doing and how much was foisted upon him

They’ve still plenty of chance for them to stay up and justify the signings but they are currently full on in danger of shitting the bed terribly

Just don’t know how you can expect to get a team to compete in the prem when you buy a load of relative unprovens at the last minute and throw them together

Would love them to go down again though

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Oct 2022 08:46

Let's not forget how badly Forest started last season under Cooper. He deserves more than a handful of games.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Oct 2022 08:52

Zip Let's not forget how badly Forest started last season under Cooper. He deserves more than a handful of games.

He wasn't their manager at the start of last season. He came in when they were bottom of the league and then proceeded to lose 1 game in his first 15.

He probably does need more than a handful of games, but it is looking like a bit of a joke at the moment.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Oct 2022 09:17

Hendo
Zip Let's not forget how badly Forest started last season under Cooper. He deserves more than a handful of games.

He wasn't their manager at the start of last season. He came in when they were bottom of the league and then proceeded to lose 1 game in his first 15.

He probably does need more than a handful of games, but it is looking like a bit of a joke at the moment.

Even better. He took over a team at the bottom of the table and they won promotion. To sack him after eight games would be absurd.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Oct 2022 09:25

Be it true or not, he came out himself and said that he wanted every player that they signed so far (can't remember how many signings they were at at that stage), so if that's the case then he's not really got that much of an excuse for the results, unless the rest of the signings were against his wishes.

On the flip side, if he's said that because going against the owners would see him lose his job, then his hands are tied anyway.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Oct 2022 11:51

They weren't the top team to get promoted last season and they had a number of loan players to replace so something had to be done to give them a chance of staying up.

I hate it when teams get to the promised land and don't spend the new riches-that is the whole point surely in that the Sky money gives every club the chance to have a go.

Fulham tried this approach previously and it didn't work but that is not to say that this approach will never work.

Good luck to Forest, they need it, and Cooper can't help being born ugly.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Oct 2022 11:56

South Coast Royal I hate it when teams get to the promised land and don't spend the new riches-that is the whole point surely in that the Sky money gives every club the chance to have a go.

Agree to an extent. But signing 2 completely new teams worth of players? That is just stupid and was only really ever going to go one way. They may end up gelling into a coherent team, but it'll be too late by then.

I guess they're going to look to become a yo-yo club, which is fine, I guess.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2022 14:15

I suspect the sheer amount of money they’ve spent could well hamstring them for a while if they don’t stay up. They must have blown their prem bonus cash and more

Have some respect for the likes of Norwich who seemed to have banked the cash, upgraded the stadium and training facilities, got the club stable and used the money that way

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 04 Oct 2022 14:21

Hendo
South Coast Royal I hate it when teams get to the promised land and don't spend the new riches-that is the whole point surely in that the Sky money gives every club the chance to have a go.

Agree to an extent. But signing 2 completely new teams worth of players? That is just stupid and was only really ever going to go one way. They may end up gelling into a coherent team, but it'll be too late by then.

I guess they're going to look to become a yo-yo club, which is fine, I guess.

Always thought the best strategy is to buy one big improvement in each position and keep the core group that got you up. 5 or 6 quality signings should be enough to give you a good chance of staying up imo. Getting 20 guys in who don't know each other and in some cases the Premier League isn't ever going to work.

17149 posts