17149 posts
linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival Watch

by linkenholtroyal » 15 Apr 2021 14:16

Hound
Stranded
Hound
yeah know what you mean, but think this has actually been a bit better than that. got quite a clear pic courtesy of Stranded's figures where things have gone wrong and challenged a few misconceptions - ie I did think we'd been a lot worst than we'd been against the bottom sides

Think that is a pretty natural assumption as a defeat to Wycombe will stand out more than one to Bournemouth. Unfortunately, in isolation, the latter is potentially more costly.

I too was surprised about how good we've been against the dross. Shows though that there is probably a bit of a flat track bully about us this year and against better sides we struggle more.

Possibly backed up that exactly half our goals have come in the 15 games against the bottom 8.

We've kind of dealt well with the dross, except when we haven't if you know what I mean. Easily brushed aside the likes of Sheff Weds, Cov, Rotherham and co at home, and fairly comfortable even in the closer games - Wycombe h, Rotherham a - with the odd scare.

But then the performances vs Wycombe a, Brum h/a particularly were three of our worst. The Cov (a) and Sheff Weds (a) weren't too bad relatively.

For me there were still more positives than negatives about the bournemouth game, and didnt feel too despondent coming out of it at the time.

Wycombe was a big one for me and at the time I thought we would regret the loss of those points. a team that we could and should have beaten, Wednesday and Brum the first time around also are where we have lost the points to drop out of the playoffs.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2021 15:36

linkenholtroyal
Hound
Stranded
Think that is a pretty natural assumption as a defeat to Wycombe will stand out more than one to Bournemouth. Unfortunately, in isolation, the latter is potentially more costly.

I too was surprised about how good we've been against the dross. Shows though that there is probably a bit of a flat track bully about us this year and against better sides we struggle more.

Possibly backed up that exactly half our goals have come in the 15 games against the bottom 8.

We've kind of dealt well with the dross, except when we haven't if you know what I mean. Easily brushed aside the likes of Sheff Weds, Cov, Rotherham and co at home, and fairly comfortable even in the closer games - Wycombe h, Rotherham a - with the odd scare.

But then the performances vs Wycombe a, Brum h/a particularly were three of our worst. The Cov (a) and Sheff Weds (a) weren't too bad relatively.

For me there were still more positives than negatives about the bournemouth game, and didnt feel too despondent coming out of it at the time.

Wycombe was a big one for me and at the time I thought we would regret the loss of those points. a team that we could and should have beaten, Wednesday and Brum the first time around also are where we have lost the points to drop out of the playoffs.

Or losing a 2-0 lead etc, etc, etc :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2021 15:39

Hound
Stranded
Hound
yeah know what you mean, but think this has actually been a bit better than that. got quite a clear pic courtesy of Stranded's figures where things have gone wrong and challenged a few misconceptions - ie I did think we'd been a lot worst than we'd been against the bottom sides

We're going at over 2 points a game against the dross, so yeah, whilst results against Wycombe and Brum (H esp) are disappointing, over a 15 game stretch you are going to get the odd defeat that you shouldn't. 10 wins and a draw against the bottom 8 is pretty damn good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Apr 2021 16:34

Stranded
Hound
Stranded

We're going at over 2 points a game against the dross, so yeah, whilst results against Wycombe and Brum (H esp) are disappointing, over a 15 game stretch you are going to get the odd defeat that you shouldn't. 10 wins and a draw against the bottom 8 is pretty damn good.

This.

Football isn't played on paper. The Championship is a competitive league. There is no divine right to three points just by being 15+ places higher than someone.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Apr 2021 18:27

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Stranded
No one is saying crap results against the bottom sides don't have an impact but that you can't look at ours in isolation.

For our 0/6pts v Brum, see Bournemouth's 0/6 v Wednesday. Disappointing draw at and home defeat to Preston, check.

Disappointing home defeat to Stoke v Disappointing home defeat to Luton (in fact Bournemouth failed to score against Luton over 2 games).

Both drop points at Forest.

Disappointing defeat at Coventry v disappointing defeat at Derby.

So yeah, dropping those points hurt but clubs around 5th to 7th will have those results, hence why they are there and not 1st or 2nd.

That's why defeats like the 4-2 are, for me much more important as it is the difference between 2 pretty well matched teams.

If these games weren't that little bit more important, when it comes to defining a team's season, then the term "six pointer" would never have been invented.

You would expect to lose games against the top sides in the division. You wouldn’t expect to drop so many points against the very weakest. How have the other play off contenders performed against the weakest sides?

Did you actually read the post zip, because the answer to your question is literally in it.

If you're trying to be a top side, no, you can't expect to lose to top sides.

And why would we have expected to lose to Bournemouth three games after one of our best ever starts to the season? We had almost our first choice side available.

Oh shush Ian. We went into the Bournemouth game in the back of three successive defeats.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Apr 2021 13:32

Ayew has done his hammy, big blow for Swansea in the play-offs. and getting stuffed at home by Wycombe. :D

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Apr 2021 13:45

windermereROYAL Ayew has done his hammy, big blow for Swansea in the play-offs. and getting stuffed at home by Wycombe. :D

If they lose to QPR, we beat Luton and then we beat them we would only be 2pts behind, just saying!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Apr 2021 13:48

2-0 to Wycombe lol, making me feel a bit better about our away loss to them!

If Swansea can lose at home to Wycombe like this, they could feasibly lose all their games remaining.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Apr 2021 13:51

tidus_mi2
windermereROYAL Ayew has done his hammy, big blow for Swansea in the play-offs. and getting stuffed at home by Wycombe. :D

If they lose to QPR, we beat Luton and then we beat them we would only be 2pts behind, just saying!

Don’t do this to yourself. Acceptance is needed.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Apr 2021 13:59

Zip
tidus_mi2

It would be funny if Swansea suffer a Forest like collapse out of the play-offs after benefiting from it last season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2021 14:04

tidus_mi2
Zip
tidus_mi2 If they lose to QPR, we beat Luton and then we beat them we would only be 2pts behind, just saying!

It would be funny if Swansea suffer a Forest like collapse out of the play-offs after benefiting from it last season.

Unfortunately the last week has shown, that despite being shit. Swansea can find a couple of results if needed.

It will be quite something if we have any chance to go past them on the final day.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Apr 2021 14:08

Any old straws are worth clutching at however unlikely.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Apr 2021 14:09

BELIEVE!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Apr 2021 14:15

Luton beating Watford in the local derby. if Brentford don`t score Norwich are up.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Apr 2021 14:19

Believe...

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Apr 2021 14:22

Swansea 2-2 :shock:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Apr 2021 14:25

Big blow for Sheffield Wednesday and the fat lady is probably warming up for their relegation.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2021 14:27

windermereROYAL Luton beating Watford in the local derby. if Brentford don`t score Norwich are up.

Brentford can still get to 91 with a draw can't they?

Norwich will go up tonight.

Hopefully Luton will have an after the Lord mayors show performance in midweek.

Ignore that, maths was pants. Norwich up. Not great for us ahead of their game tonight. Bournemouth will fancy it a bit more now.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2021 14:31

tidus_mi2 Big blow for Sheffield Wednesday and the fat lady is probably warming up for their relegation.

Miss a pen at 1-0, which also saw Bristol down to 10 for 70 mins and you are always at risk of a sucker punch.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Apr 2021 14:34

Welp Norwich are up, they still have the title to secure so hopefully they give Bournemouth a thrashing tonight.

17149 posts