Rival Watch

17149 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 22 Jul 2022 13:18

Franchise FC This is by far their best bit of planning.

No commitment beyond the season so relegation would not compromise them financially. A player keen to show that a place in Qatar might be possible

Where’s the downside for them?

Well I guess it’s 10m of dead money in the sense it’s a lot of money for one year of one player. Come June he isn’t theirs again. Not played a lot for a year so not sure of his level and also whether he’ll stay fit

Still an expensive gamble but can see the logic, and if it works out and he performs it’s shrewd

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 Jul 2022 13:24

Hound

No commitment beyond the season so relegation would not compromise them financially. A player keen to show that a place in Qatar might be possible

Well I guess it’s 10m of dead money in the sense it’s a lot of money for one year of one player. Come June he isn’t theirs again. Not played a lot for a year so not sure of his level and also whether he’ll stay fit

Still an expensive gamble but can see the logic, and if it works out and he performs it’s shrewd

Yes, but if he keeps them up he's massively paid back that £10M.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2022 13:27

Dirk Gently
Hound

Yes, but if he keeps them up he's massively paid back that £10M.

Of course. And if he doesn’t then they’ve just blown 10m

But that’s the way things are nowadays so can see why they’ve gone for it

Guess the other risk is having one player in the side earning so much more than the others. Not sure it’s great for team spirit or future wage negotiations

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jul 2022 13:34

Dirk Gently
WestYorksRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99
To be fair, it wasn't really, they did finish bottom half the season before (probably more down to Hughton not getting more from the squad admittedly) and I can't remember the last time they reached the play offs bar last season?

I know they've been there or thereabouts previously but, it's not like Brentford where they were consistently pushing for promotion and making the play offs, so they probably had a squad that didn't need a major overhaul like Forest's.

I think, no matter which side from the play offs got promoted last season, they'd have all needed massive investment and probably 6+ new first team players to have any chance or survival.

That's why they'll still struggle. If you get promoted without a team that's ready, you can try to give them a chance and bank the money, and hope that spirit and a good team can do the trick (spoiler: it very rarely does and will typically last only a year even then). Or you can do the QPR approach and bet big, but the team will take time to gel and lose cohesion. Forest are going for the latter but at least seem to be focusing on character and not just yesteryear talent (I.e., not going full QPR).

If you want to survive in the PL, your best bet is to wait for promotion until you have a spine of a team to compete, so you can focus on 3 or 4 high quality signings. Though even that is tough; I'd say Brentford and Leeds followed that model and both will struggle next season in my view.

The real difficulty of this approach is keeping that spine of a team when you just miss out on promotion in the years before you get it. PL teams will come in and cherry-pick your best players, so you'll be back to square one.

It comes down to recruitment at that point, many clubs have shown that if you sell your best players for big fees, you can reinvest that money in various different areas to improve the club. Sell a player in the Championship for £20m and bring in a loan signing from the PL U23 side (like James Garner) on lower wages and it's a win-win for 12 months, if said loan player is an adequate replacement or is actually a better player in general.

I think in the long(er)-term though, you're right. You can't just keep selling your best players season on season as it eventually catches up with you ala Southampton in the Premier League, Wolves to an extent, possibly Leicester can be included there as well.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jul 2022 14:24

Nottingham Forest will be fine next season...

Fulham and Bournemouth will struggle, strange transfer window being administered by them, i am also expecting Southampton to fall this year. We are also due a southern influx back into the Championship. Shame we will bypass them as we go up!! :lol:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 22 Jul 2022 14:24

Whilst the focus on the Lingaard deal is all on Forest, what does it say about Lingaard?

He had a great half season at West Ham a while ago, and they were really keen to get him with the fans raving about him; they are in the Europa League this season (so a shop window for an ambitious player) and a lot less likely than Forest to be in a relegation scrap.

And yet he chooses Forest.....

He can only have gone for the money being offered, which is never a clever move in any job; he will be playing in a side that may well struggle and so his goal scoring opportunities will be fewer, so less chance to impress Gareth Southgate (frankly, he is deluding himself to think he has a genuine shot of being at the World Cup in 4 months time) and at the end of the Year, then what? I can't see West Ham being interested in him in 12 Months (their fans will take Lingaard's rejection personally).

Still, his agent will pocket a shedload of dosh, and of course, thats ALL that matters.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Jul 2022 14:55

Mr Angry Whilst the focus on the Lingaard deal is all on Forest, what does it say about Lingaard?

He had a great half season at West Ham a while ago, and they were really keen to get him with the fans raving about him; they are in the Europa League this season (so a shop window for an ambitious player) and a lot less likely than Forest to be in a relegation scrap.

And yet he chooses Forest.....

He can only have gone for the money being offered, which is never a clever move in any job; he will be playing in a side that may well struggle and so his goal scoring opportunities will be fewer, so less chance to impress Gareth Southgate (frankly, he is deluding himself to think he has a genuine shot of being at the World Cup in 4 months time) and at the end of the Year, then what? I can't see West Ham being interested in him in 12 Months (their fans will take Lingaard's rejection personally).

Still, his agent will pocket a shedload of dosh, and of course, thats ALL that matters.

Doesn’t Lingaard have a very specific family situation which has been at the heart of his dip in form. Going to Forest means he can probably stay living where he does now whereas West Ham would mean moving.
May have played a part ?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 22 Jul 2022 15:16

Mr Angry
He can only have gone for the money being offered, which is never a clever move in any job

qué?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Jul 2022 15:29

LUX
Mr Angry
He can only have gone for the money being offered, which is never a clever move in any job

qué?

Seems pretty reasonable to take a job for the money.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jul 2022 18:19

Stoke have appointed John O'Shea as first team coach, so not only do they like signing our players (for whatever reason), they appoint our former staff members as well now apparently!

Turning into their feeder club.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 28 Jul 2022 17:21

BBC Sport website did a review on the 3 Premier League relegated sides into the Championship; worth a read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62308385

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2022 18:26

Norwich fan I know says they're a mess and have no chance of promotion.

Not sure I trust his judgement.

His three for promotion includes Coventry. :?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jul 2022 18:30

Snowflake Royal Norwich fan I know says they're a mess and have no chance of promotion.

Ugh. Does he have Luton in 4th?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2022 18:35

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Norwich fan I know says they're a mess and have no chance of promotion.

Can't remember but no relegated teams for promotion and us in the bottom 3.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jul 2022 18:36

Hmmm can’t see Norwich being in a mess. Reading that article they have managed to keep hold of nearly all of their best players. They will be up there challenging.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2022 18:39

Zip

Hmmm can’t see Norwich being in a mess. Reading that article they have managed to keep hold of nearly all of their best players. They will be up there challenging.

I think it was something about those players being past it now. Tbf, Pukki is 32 now for example. Krul 34 etc.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Jul 2022 18:53

Zip

They were bloody awful last season though....Pukki couldn't hit a barn door. There maybe a reason no-one wants to buy their players.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jul 2022 19:43

Snowflake Royal
Zip

I think it was something about those players being past it now. Tbf, Pukki is 32 now for example. Krul 34 etc.

Sorry. Krul is only 34??? oxf*rd me.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jul 2022 19:44

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Can't remember but no relegated teams for promotion and us in the bottom 3.

Well, he's wrong.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Jul 2022 22:45

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Yann Kermorgant was perfectly adequate playing at Championship level at 36.

17149 posts