Rival Watch

17149 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by Franchise FC » 02 Jul 2022 21:34

Elm Park Kid Maybe there was a contractual clause which means they'd have to pay him more money if sacked before July.

As far as I can tell Derby won't have any points deductions, unless the new owners haven't agreed to make the required debt repayments.

Currently the only thing we know about Derby is that the administrators have accepted whatever Clowes has offered. That could be £1 (see Ken Bates).

We probably won’t know what they’re going to pay for a little while yet, although I’d be disappointed if the EFL aren’t aware

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jul 2022 21:40

Derby exited admin yesterday and signed 5 players today. How is that possible when we have to jump through hoops just to sign one?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2022 21:49

Pepe the Horseman Derby exited admin yesterday and signed 5 players today. How is that possible when we have to jump through hoops just to sign one?

The deals were already in place just awaiting sanctioning. I suspect the EFL were fully aware of them prior to the takeover going through

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jul 2022 07:39

Zip
Pepe the Horseman Derby exited admin yesterday and signed 5 players today. How is that possible when we have to jump through hoops just to sign one?

The deals were already in place just awaiting sanctioning. I suspect the EFL were fully aware of them prior to the takeover going through

Yeah. The business plan has been being ironed out for at least a two or three weeks and these signings were clearly built in, because Derby have been continuing planning and negotiations for signings in parallel.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 03 Jul 2022 09:27

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Yeah. The business plan has been being ironed out for at least a two or three weeks and these signings were clearly built in, because Derby have been continuing planning and negotiations for signings in parallel.

Is it not time for no longer Wayne Rooney's Derby County to slip off our rival watch? It is getting beyond the IDGAF any more.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Jul 2022 21:19

Pepe the Horseman
morganb Lee Bowyer: Birmingham City head coach sacked by Championship club - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61144145

Unfortunately they may get someone better in now

Wouldn't count on it.

Turns out they ended up with John Eustace, who was apparently in the frame for the Swansea job last season before they eventually went with Russell Martin, so he obviously has some credibility for clubs at this level to go for him.

I think Birmingham could be in a lot of trouble this season, it's a tough job to go for.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 06 Jul 2022 16:30

Cardiff have now signed Romaine Sawyers. They’re going for it big time.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Jul 2022 16:37

blythspartan Cardiff have now signed Romaine Sawyers. They’re going for it big time.

Good signing, would have loved him at Reading.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jul 2022 16:40

Dunno best days behind him I reckon

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jul 2022 17:05

I don't feel like Cardiff have actually bought *that* well to be honest, they've just had a big turnover of players this summer and have released a lot of higher earners and replaced with more modest earners that aren't on top Championship wages, but on good wages at this level.

I would expect them to finish higher than last season, maybe top half, but Sawyers and Rino, whilst good, is just mid table to top half really, not any higher. Supplemented with a few other decent, yet not spectacular additions, I'd imagine they'd finish anywhere between 10th-15th.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2022 17:16

NathStPaul
blythspartan Cardiff have now signed Romaine Sawyers. They’re going for it big time.

Good signing, would have loved him at Reading.

Yeah said this on one of their messageboards.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Jul 2022 17:20

Hound Dunno best days behind him I reckon

Perfect for us then :D

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jul 2022 17:24

NathStPaul
Hound Dunno best days behind him I reckon

Perfect for us then :D

Yes fit right in…

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2022 17:34

Are Derby not under a transfer embargo like us? They have signed players like McGoldrick, Hourihane, Chester and NML. I wouldn’t have thought these guys would be on low wages.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 06 Jul 2022 17:44

Zip Are Derby not under a transfer embargo like us? They have signed players like McGoldrick, Hourihane, Chester and NML. I wouldn’t have thought these guys would be on low wages.

This gives some insight.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... 283735.amp

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2022 17:49

blythspartan
Zip Are Derby not under a transfer embargo like us? They have signed players like McGoldrick, Hourihane, Chester and NML. I wouldn’t have thought these guys would be on low wages.

This gives some insight.

So under an embargo still which last season was more restrictive than ours. I wonder if we have paid out a lot to keep hold of Yids, Holmes, Azeez etc and that is limiting what we can is pay for further players.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 06 Jul 2022 18:27

Zip
blythspartan

This gives some insight.

So under an embargo still which last season was more restrictive than ours. I wonder if we have paid out a lot to keep hold of Yids, Holmes, Azeez etc and that is limiting what we can is pay for further players.

I wouldn’t have thought so as we also made offers to Laurent, Rino and Swift. We are obviously operating under a strict budget so we’re limited in what we can pay any potential new player, irrespective of what we have paid to keep hold of the above. Hopefully, we can assemble a competitive team and keep within our budget.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jul 2022 08:24

Zip
blythspartan

This gives some insight.

It may not be as restrictive now - there are rules in L1 regarding what you can spend anyway - think as a relegated club Derby can spend 75% of turnover on wages. This may be a bit lower for them given the circumstances but their turnover is likely much bigger than ours, and probably still will be in L1 given they are likely to get 20 to 25k most games as fans are just relieved to have a club - so wouldn't surprise me if they don't have the restriction of keeping to an average wage etc - they may be able to pay say Hourihane more than a Champ club but be under budget, plus they can offer him the knowledge he'll be first name on the teamsheet whilst in the Champ he may not be.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 07 Jul 2022 08:33

Stranded
It may not be as restrictive now - there are rules in L1 regarding what you can spend anyway - think as a relegated club Derby can spend 75% of turnover on wages. This may be a bit lower for them given the circumstances but their turnover is likely much bigger than ours, and probably still will be in L1 given they are likely to get 20 to 25k most games as fans are just relieved to have a club - so wouldn't surprise me if they don't have the restriction of keeping to an average wage etc - they may be able to pay say Hourihane more than a Champ club but be under budget, plus they can offer him the knowledge he'll be first name on the teamsheet whilst in the Champ he may not be.

Probably all true but it sticks in the craw somewhat, given that small businesses and HMRC are likely to have gotten no more than 25p in the £. Reminds me of Portsmouth, who exited administration and then went and paid Dave Kitson a fortune to play there.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jul 2022 08:47

Who Moved The Goalposts?
Stranded

Probably all true but it sticks in the craw somewhat, given that small businesses and HMRC are likely to have gotten no more than 25p in the £. Reminds me of Portsmouth, who exited administration and then went and paid Dave Kitson a fortune to play there.

Completely agree and it is why I find some of the crowing on Derby forums and Twitter a little distasteful. The club can only "afford" these players as they have essentially written off 75% of the debt they accrued. Not saying Reading fans would be any better but still when a club in Derby's position are bringing in players than no other L1 side can afford, it does leave a bad taste.

It almost feels as though because they went in to admin, the rule breaking is now done and dusted whereas we are, rightly, about to start our second season living under restrictions.

17149 posts