Rival Watch

17149 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jan 2022 09:48

My confidence that we will stay up is that our record against the bottom half is 6-2-4 while our record against the top half is 2-2-11

If you narrow it further and reduce it to the bottom 5 who are starting to get a bit isolated our record is: 3-1-1

I think we have enough in ourselves to beat those around us to pull away.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2022 09:57

Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99
CountryRoyal
I agree. I don’t see any reason why people are so confident we can go there and win.

Because, despite all of our recent struggles and results, they are still below us. We have sunk about as low as we could have ever imagined this last month and they are still below us.

Putting the shoe on the other foot, why do people not feel so confident about going to their place and winning? I'm not saying it's a given and, credit to them, they played well for about an hour at Birmingham yesterday and fully deserved to be 2 goals ahead, yet they still didn't win. They've struggled for goals (down to injuries in that area), but they haven't dealt with the frankly unprecedented situation regarding our injury record this season, along with a points deduction, along with Covid spreading through our club throughout the Christmas period as well as pre-season etc.

People like to believe they are just excuses, which I can fully understand, but the practical aspect is that all of these factors will genuinely effect the team and people think that it would be just as simple as a managerial change to sort it out. Yes, we shouldn't be losing 7-0 to Fulham, or 2-1 to Kidderminster etc, but the problems this season go far deeper than looking at a couple of isolated results, or even this month as a whole.

I'm confident this can be turned around and I believe recruiting a couple of players in what remains of the window and getting players back from injuries is generally putting the fanbase in a more positive, optimistic mood. It can't be doom and gloom forever.

https://www.skysports.com/reading-results

As I've stated, they are still below us. The more you put our recent run of results up, the worse it looks on Peterborough.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2022 09:58

CountryRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99 Putting the shoe on the other foot, why do people not feel so confident about going to their place and winning?

Because our last win was 2 months ago, today. Since then we’ve lost to a 6th tier side, conceded 21 goals, 7 of which in one game.

Because we haven’t kept a clean sheet since October (narrow 1-0 win against god awful Barnsley).

Because our manager is clueless and consistently makes decisions to negate our chances of success.

Because I have eyes and watch our games.

As I've just said above as well, putting all of that into consideration about how bad we are, Peterborough are still below us despite all of that, so how well does that reflect on them do you think?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2022 10:03

YorkshireRoyal99
Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99
Because, despite all of our recent struggles and results, they are still below us. We have sunk about as low as we could have ever imagined this last month and they are still below us.

Putting the shoe on the other foot, why do people not feel so confident about going to their place and winning? I'm not saying it's a given and, credit to them, they played well for about an hour at Birmingham yesterday and fully deserved to be 2 goals ahead, yet they still didn't win. They've struggled for goals (down to injuries in that area), but they haven't dealt with the frankly unprecedented situation regarding our injury record this season, along with a points deduction, along with Covid spreading through our club throughout the Christmas period as well as pre-season etc.

People like to believe they are just excuses, which I can fully understand, but the practical aspect is that all of these factors will genuinely effect the team and people think that it would be just as simple as a managerial change to sort it out. Yes, we shouldn't be losing 7-0 to Fulham, or 2-1 to Kidderminster etc, but the problems this season go far deeper than looking at a couple of isolated results, or even this month as a whole.

I'm confident this can be turned around and I believe recruiting a couple of players in what remains of the window and getting players back from injuries is generally putting the fanbase in a more positive, optimistic mood. It can't be doom and gloom forever.

As I've stated, they are still below us. The more you put our recent run of results up, the worse it looks on Peterborough.

They have a game in hand, and didn’t lose to someone 4 divisions lower then them.

They also haven’t had the fortune of playing Reading recently.

They are 4 places above us in form table for last 6 and only 1 point below in last 10.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2022 10:06

CountryRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99

They have a game in hand, and didn’t lose to someone 4 divisions lower then them.

They had a game in hand last night as well and didn't win. Statistically speaking, they are unlikely to win their other game in hand as well seen as they've only won 5 games all season, which is the 2nd lowest in the league. They've also lost more games than us as well having played a game less (technically 2 games less before last night's draw).

I'm fully aware we have been woeful this month in general and that we aren't in great shapes, but I'll repeat, despite all of our struggles, it doesn't reflect well on Peterborough when they are still below us, games in hand or not.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2022 10:07

CountryRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99

They are 4 places above us in form table for last 6 and only 1 point below in last 10.

That's worrying for them then really isn't it?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jan 2022 10:09

YorkshireRoyal99
Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99

Eh? After the Hull game we were 5 points ahead of them, same games played. Now we're two points ahead of them and they've got a game in hand.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2022 10:10

YorkshireRoyal99
CountryRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99

Of course it is, but on more recent form are “significantly” better than us (relatively), that’s more worrying for us isn’t it?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2022 10:12

If your predominant argument for us being better than another team at present is based purely on them being below us in the table, you need a better metric.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jan 2022 10:20

Bottom line. We have been slightly better than Posh so far this season. That should not fill anyone with confidence.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 Jan 2022 10:22

I think Saturday will be a fair test of exactly where we are. Get a positive result with what will be more or less our strongest line up and there will be room for optimism.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jan 2022 10:29

Their game in hand over us is away to Bournemouth, if they get anything in that one fair oxf*rd but I'm putting them down for 0pts.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2022 10:33

Zip Bottom line. We have been slightly better than Posh so far this season. That should not fill anyone with confidence.

Yeah this really.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jan 2022 10:34

NathStPaul I think Saturday will be a fair test of exactly where we are. Get a positive result with what will be more or less our strongest line up and there will be room for optimism.

Saturday’s a bit early. Maybe Brizzle when hopefully Meite, McIntyre, Hoilett and others should be available should indicate where we are heading

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2022 10:35

NathStPaul I think Saturday will be a fair test of exactly where we are. Get a positive result with what will be more or less our strongest line up and there will be room for optimism.

I agree a positive result will be grounds for optimism, but they’re flying high and even a good performance all over the pitch but a defeat may also be.

If we’re crap and get spanked we haven’t really learnt much so carry on as usual. :lol:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 Jan 2022 10:36

Zip

Saturday’s a bit early. Maybe Brizzle when hopefully Meite, McIntyre, Hoilett and others should be available should indicate where we are heading

Not sure any line up will be a fair indication under our current manager tbh, I just hope the players can have some personal pride and dig themselves out of the hole they are in. It is quite clear that they are no longer playing for Paunovic imo, we just have to hope they can drag themselves through the rest of this season and pick up a minimum of 4 wins.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2022 10:38

CountryRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99 Putting the shoe on the other foot, why do people not feel so confident about going to their place and winning?

Because our last win was 2 months ago, today. Since then we’ve lost to a 6th tier side, conceded 21 goals, 7 of which in one game.

Because we haven’t kept a clean sheet since October (narrow 1-0 win against god awful Barnsley).

Because our manager is clueless and consistently makes decisions to negate our chances of success.

As a team with 2 wins in 16 and none in at least 6. No one should be confident in us winning a game.

YR made a comment about it not being apparent that I've seen all our games from the way I post yesterday.

Well I can only assume that if he has confidence in us beating Posh, he not only hasn't seen our games, he also hasn't seen our results.

We certainly could beat them. But there's nothing confident about it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2022 10:42

CountryRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99
CountryRoyal

Of course it is, but on more recent form are “significantly” better than us (relatively), that’s more worrying for us isn’t it?

I wouldn't say it is "more" worrying for us than what it is for Peterborough personally speaking. Yes, it's good for them that they are catching based on more recent form, but then you look and see we've been in woeful form for the best part of 2 months (obviously December being an odd month due to postponements) and I think most would anticipate that we would improve at some stage of the season and results would pick up, which might begin to happen as we approach February and more players return from injury and regain match fitness.

I don't think either us of Peterborough are in a great situation, but I'd still say they are worse off despite being better than us over their last half a dozen games or so. Again, that doesn't reflect too well on them all things considered.

On the flip side though, we could still very well end up relegated at the expense of Peterborough, that's still a realistic viewpoint. However, I don't feel "as bad" as what I did after the Kidderminster and Fulham defeats.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Jan 2022 10:43

IIRC Dembele and Clarke-Harris were expected to make a big impact this season for Peterboro this season but for whatever reason they haven't.

There has been a lot of transfer speculation over both for some time so I expect there could be a few comings and goings there before Monday and by the time that we play them they could well be a different side-maybe hopefully not better, just different.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2022 10:45

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

As a team with 2 wins in 16 and none in at least 6. No one should be confident in us winning a game.

YR made a comment about it not being apparent that I've seen all our games from the way I post yesterday.

Well I can only assume that if he has confidence in us beating Posh, he not only hasn't seen our games, he also hasn't seen our results.

We certainly could beat them. But there's nothing confident about it.

I think my point was, it's six of one, half a dozen of another.

I am personally actually quite confident of going their and beating them as I believe we have a better squad than them and a better team than them. That's not to say we will win as that does not account for everything of course, but that's just how I see it.

I wouldn't really use the current form right now as any sort of metric because there is still 3 games to play before we play them, so I've taken form out of it altogether right now because we could win our next 3 games and the attitude would be very different, or we could continue our current form and lose our next 3 and then my opinion would be very different as well.

Looking at it from a blank sheet of paper, I'd be confident we can beat them, and that's really all we can look at it as right now.

17149 posts