Rival Watch

17149 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by windermereROYAL » 26 Jan 2022 10:49

Zip Bottom line. We have been slightly better than Posh so far this season. That should not fill anyone with confidence.

I wouldn`t say 8 points is slightly.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jan 2022 10:58

windermereROYAL
Zip Bottom line. We have been slightly better than Posh so far this season. That should not fill anyone with confidence.

Those 8 points include a win v Posh where they were better than us for 60 mins in a poor quality game. Six point swing in that one game alone. So against the rest of the division we really haven’t been much better.

Dixie Norm

by Dixie Norm » 26 Jan 2022 11:03

YorkshireRoyal99 I am personally actually quite confident of going their and beating them as I believe we have a better squad than them and a better team than them. That's not to say we will win as that does not account for everything of course, but that's just how I see it.

I think we have better individuals but as a team we are appalling. The only reason we aren't firmly in the relegation zone is because of John Swifts purple patch at the beginning of the season. As someone else noted earlier we're now at the business end of the season and just need to stumble over the line with 7 wins with some individual brilliance.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jan 2022 11:08

Dixie Norm
YorkshireRoyal99 I am personally actually quite confident of going their and beating them as I believe we have a better squad than them and a better team than them. That's not to say we will win as that does not account for everything of course, but that's just how I see it.

I think we have better individuals but as a team we are appalling. The only reason we aren't firmly in the relegation zone is because of John Swifts purple patch at the beginning of the season. As someone else noted earlier we're now at the business end of the season and just need to stumble over the line with 7 wins with some individual brilliance.

You could easily make the same argument that they only reason we're in a relegation scrap is due to the amount of player absences we've had.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2022 11:09

Dixie Norm

All the more chance of doing that though with the likes of Joao and Meite returning. To say we had managed to score 30 goals, before the Huddersfield game on Saturday, without Joao and Meite for most/all of the season so far is quite respectable, especially considering they were our top 2 scorers last season (correct me if I'm wrong) and are probably seen as our 2 biggest goalscoring threats for that reason as well. Nobody else around us has got anywhere near 30 goals I don't think before Saturday's games had taken place either.

Swift's purple patch early doors has gone a long way to our position now, but hopefully in the coming games a lot more responsibility can be taken off him to get the goals now and maybe in a two man attack Puscas can chip in with some as well. We shouldn't have to be winning games by scoring 2, 3, 4 etc, but if that's what ends up happening for survival I'll be happy enough with that.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2022 11:10

tidus_mi2
Dixie Norm

You could easily make the same argument that they only reason we're in a relegation scrap is due to the amount of player absences we've had.

That's also a point as well. To say we are "appalling" as a team is quite a statement, considering we haven't had many games this season where we've actually been able to field a strong team, or a team that many would consider a strong team anyhow.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Jan 2022 11:13

Zip
windermereROYAL

Those 8 points include a win v Posh where they were better than us for 60 mins in a poor quality game. Six point swing in that one game alone. So against the rest of the division we really haven’t been much better.

Well 5 points better, which would be a comfortable gap.

We have been awful for a while now but we put in an improved performance on Saturday with players returning - it is fair to hope that as those players gel again (remember Yiadom/Rahman, will have barely trained with the team ahead of Saturday's match since early Jan), we should see improved performances and hopefully better results. We may not of course.

Suffice to say that during a time we've managed to find 1 point, with makeshift line-ups playing against the sides currently 1st, 5th, 6th, 8th and 10th - they've managed to close the gap to 2 points having played the teams in 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, 14th and 18th.

Neither team are in form but looking at that I didn't realise how tough our run of fixtures has been of late given how thin the squad has been in Jan yet, Peterborough have hardly taken advantage.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jan 2022 11:19

Stranded
Zip
windermereROYAL

We have been awful for a while now but we put in an improved performance on Saturday with players returning - it is fair to hope that as those players gel again (remember Yiadom/Rahman, will have barely trained with the team ahead of Saturday's match since early Jan), we should see improved performances and hopefully better results. We may not of course.

Suffice to say that during a time we've managed to find 1 point, with makeshift line-ups playing against the sides currently 1st, 5th, 6th, 8th and 10th - they've managed to close the gap to 2 points having played the teams in 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, 14th and 18th.

Neither team are in form but looking at that I didn't realise how tough our run of fixtures has been of late given how thin the squad has been in Jan yet, Peterborough have hardly taken advantage.

Five points isn’t many more at this point in the season....from one game more as well. We have had a tough run of games though. I mentioned yesterday that after Saturday we will have played four of the strongest sides twice. So hopefully easier times ahead.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Jan 2022 11:23

Zip
Stranded
Zip

Five points isn’t many more at this point in the season....from one game more as well. We have had a tough run of games though. I mentioned yesterday that after Saturday we will have played four of the strongest sides twice. So hopefully easier times ahead.

In a relegation battle, 5 points would be massive - sadly due to deductions it is only 2.

Yep we have a tough run, at the worst time. The teams we have lost too, those results would not stand out normally given league postion - but in a row and with a weakened side. Ouch.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2022 12:06

Stranded
Zip
windermereROYAL

Posh PPG 0.77
Reading PPG 0.81

So 5% ‘better’ than they are over the season.

I’d say that’s slight.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jan 2022 12:31

Hull City can confirm we have repaid the EFL monitored loan and are no longer working under transfer restrictions.

#hcafc

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jan 2022 12:37

Pepe the Horseman
Hull City can confirm we have repaid the EFL monitored loan and are no longer working under transfer restrictions.

#hcafc

If only it were that easy for us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Jan 2022 13:43

CountryRoyal
Stranded
Zip

Posh PPG 0.77
Reading PPG 0.81

I’d say that’s slight.

We are actually 1.04 PPG in earnt points. If both sides continue to pick up points at the same pace, we'll finish 7 points clear of them. That would do me.

If the bottom 4 continue to pick up points as their season long average:

Reading 42

Derby 39
Peterborough 35
Barnsley 25

If the last 8 games are more indicative, then we will go down and Derby will survive - but Derby are currently greatly exceeding their overall form and we are greatly underperforming.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2022 13:45

If you said bottom 5 we’d go above Cardiff as well

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Jan 2022 13:48

Stranded
CountryRoyal
Stranded

Posh PPG 0.77
Reading PPG 0.81

I’d say that’s slight.

We are actually 1.04 PPG in earnt points. If both sides continue to pick up points at the same pace, we'll finish 7 points clear of them. That would do me.

Reading 42

Derby 39
Peterborough 35
Barnsley 25

If the last 8 games are more indicative, then we will go down and Derby will survive - but Derby are currently greatly exceeding their overall form and we are greatly underperforming.

On the other hand, we have picked up over 50% of our points in one 6 game run. That leaves 13 points from the other 21 games

Which is, of course, manipulating the stats, as you can probably do the same for Derby, Hull, Cardiff etc. But still think it’s something worth highlighting

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2022 14:15

Stranded
CountryRoyal
Stranded

Posh PPG 0.77
Reading PPG 0.81

I’d say that’s slight.

Reading 42

Derby 39
Peterborough 35
Barnsley 25

Fair enough, forgot about the deduction.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2022 14:23

URZZZZ
Stranded
CountryRoyal

Posh PPG 0.77
Reading PPG 0.81

I’d say that’s slight.

Reading 42

Derby 39
Peterborough 35
Barnsley 25

On the other hand, we have picked up over 50% of our points in one 6 game run. That leaves 13 points from the other 21 games

Which is, of course, manipulating the stats, as you can probably do the same for Derby, Hull, Cardiff etc. But still think it’s something worth highlighting

That's true, it's just a good bit of form, but you could also say the same with Derby this month and last month as well, is it 5/6 wins out of 8/9 games or something like that? I know you've highlighted how it's similar with the others (which it actually is), but I think that makes it pretty negligible.

At the end of the day, take last season for example, you could arguably say that Derby only really had 11 "good" games, as they only won 11 games out of 46 last season. The also drew 11 games as well, I don't know who against, but you're probably only talking about 16 ish "good" results they had over all of last season and that was enough for them to survive.

Given our points deduction, we are likely to need something like 17/18 "good" results ourselves this season, but we've had 8 wins and out of our 4 draws (Forest, QPR, Derby and Hull), you could argue that, just from the table alone, both QPR and Forest will be deemed as "good" results, just based off the standings. So we've probably had 10 good results so far this season, I'd back us to get at least another 8 "good" results this season, with 6 of them being wins.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 26 Jan 2022 14:45

We have 19 games to go. 8 at home and 11 away.

Home is:
Coventry
Brum
Milwall
Blackburn
Cardiff
Swansea
WBA
Stoke

Average current position 12th. Teams currently in top ten to play home are Coventry, Blackburn and WBA

Away is;
QPR
Bristol C
Peterboro
Preston
Blackpool
Forest
Bournemouth
Barnsley
Sheff Utd
Hull
Luton

Average current position 13th. Teams currently in top ten to play away are QPR, Forest, Bournemouth.

This Saturday is one of our toughest games remaining.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Jan 2022 14:45

Us getting 6 more wins this season feels a long, long way away right now............

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Jan 2022 14:49

Barney We have 19 games to go. 8 at home and 11 away.

Home is:
Coventry
Brum
Milwall
Blackburn
Cardiff
Swansea

WBA
Stoke

Average current position 12th. Teams currently in top ten to play home are Coventry, Blackburn and WBA

Away is;
QPR
Bristol C
Peterboro

Preston
Blackpool
Forest
Bournemouth
[b]Barnsley[/b]
Sheff Utd
Hull
Luton

Average current position 13th. Teams currently in top ten to play away are QPR, Forest, Bournemouth.

This Saturday is one of our toughest games remaining.

The bold games are key for us.

17149 posts