Rival Watch

17149 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Zip » 24 Sep 2021 08:47

Hound
AthleticoSpizz .....higher.....higher

Easy ride for Wooney now...stay up....hero....relegated....everybody else's fault.

dare I say I've been quite impressed with Rooney's handling of it so far?

He’s done well.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Sep 2021 09:51

Zip
Hound
AthleticoSpizz .....higher.....higher

Easy ride for Wooney now...stay up....hero....relegated....everybody else's fault.

dare I say I've been quite impressed with Rooney's handling of it so far?

He’s done well.

Yep, I had my doubts about him, but doing a cracking job, all things considered.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Sep 2021 10:02

He is the right sort of manager for them in their current state. He is a fighter and a scrapper, he's got that will to win that must inspire the players in the squad. Can't knock him this season.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Sep 2021 10:42

Franchise FC
Sutekh
Wycombe Royal Derby officially enter administration and have been deducted 12 points.

It’s not stopping there either. Players have been asked to defer a third of their wages while the administrators seek to sort some of the mess out and find new owners (can’t imagine a name like Derby will have to wait too long for new owners to be found though).

However, not only do they have another 9 point deduction in the offing, but Middlesbrough may start legal proceedings against Derby over their financial mismanagement which effectively saw ‘boro miss out on the play offs and lose out on the services of a couple of players through Derby offering deals that contributed to the mess they are now in (see story link below)

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/foo ... s-21660410

There would appear to be a prima facie case for Wycombe on that basis.

Doesn't this sort of thing always come up when someone is found guilty of shenanigans? And literally never comes to anything

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Sep 2021 11:09

I don't think there's much of a case really as you can just say "well, you should've won some more games"

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Sep 2021 11:10

Silver Fox
Franchise FC
Sutekh
It’s not stopping there either. Players have been asked to defer a third of their wages while the administrators seek to sort some of the mess out and find new owners (can’t imagine a name like Derby will have to wait too long for new owners to be found though).

However, not only do they have another 9 point deduction in the offing, but Middlesbrough may start legal proceedings against Derby over their financial mismanagement which effectively saw ‘boro miss out on the play offs and lose out on the services of a couple of players through Derby offering deals that contributed to the mess they are now in (see story link below)

Doesn't this sort of thing always come up when someone is found guilty of shenanigans? And literally never comes to anything

Also, even if Boro and Wycombe are successful, they'll just be an unsecured creditor for a club in administration and will only get a fraction of anything they are awarded.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Sep 2021 11:12

genome I don't think there's much of a case really as you can just say "well, you should've won some more games"

Yeh, always going to be pretty difficult to prove, but Boro have got a couple of specific examples where Derby paid way over the odds for players Boro were set to sign. So they could argue that had Derby not broken the rules, those players would have ended up at Boro, which would have provided a comfortable swing for them to make the POs. But then of course there's no guarantee they would have won the POs, so not sure what they're hoping to get out of it.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Sep 2021 11:39

This week's Telegraph report also details how Derby hijacked Boro's move for striker Martyn Waghorn in 2018, paying double the fee that Boro had agreed and offering £10,000 a week more in wages.
:shock:

An extra £10k a week at this level is a lot.

Glass houses ofc but unless boro were being extremely tight then Derby must have been paying well above the going rate.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 24 Sep 2021 11:40

genome I don't think there's much of a case really as you can just say "well, you should've won some more games"

Yeah, it's an unpopular take given how everyone loves Ainsworth but I can't help feeling that if there had been less of the "we're just happy to be here" from him at the start of the season they'd have given themselves a far better chance to stay up. The lower end of the championship really isn't all that and Wycombe proved in the second half of the season that they could more than live with those teams.

Just think they came in with an inferiority complex when they could've been riding the momentum of promotion.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Sep 2021 16:54

SCIAG
This week's Telegraph report also details how Derby hijacked Boro's move for striker Martyn Waghorn in 2018, paying double the fee that Boro had agreed and offering £10,000 a week more in wages.

Glass houses ofc but unless boro were being extremely tight then Derby must have been paying well above the going rate.

And Waghorn is shit.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Sep 2021 20:04

QPR score in first min at WBA....strange to see QPR in blue and white hoops though - looks a clash on the tv

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Sep 2021 20:58

Mid Sussex Royal QPR score in first min at WBA....strange to see QPR in blue and white hoops though - looks a clash on the tv

They've worn blue and white hoops for years.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Sep 2021 21:20

Pepe the Horseman
Mid Sussex Royal QPR score in first min at WBA....strange to see QPR in blue and white hoops though - looks a clash on the tv

They've worn blue and white hoops for years.

But not in 1871 :D

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Sep 2021 21:32

Silver Fox
Franchise FC
Sutekh

Action needs to be taken. Imposing the 3 points suspended next season would be a start. Derby heading for league 2 , who'd thought it was possible. :shock:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Sep 2021 10:07

Looking at Derby's situation, I'm shocked the EFL haven't closed off the FFP loophole that allows owners to buy assets off their club. You just simply say it doesn't count as income in your FFP calculations. If these rules are about to be making clubs more sustainable, allowing owners to asset strip the club achieves the exact opposite

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Sep 2021 10:38

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG

And Waghorn is shit.

If I was Boro, I'd consider that one a lucky escape and keep my mouth shut.

And whilst we're at it, is this a different Boro to the one that went into administration in the 80s and spent most of the 90s and the early part of this century spaffing the chairman's money on players they probably couldn't afford?

Should point out I have no axe to grind with Middlesbrough. Decent people up there and always a good away day.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 25 Sep 2021 11:36

Vision

Yeah, it's an unpopular take given how everyone loves Ainsworth but I can't help feeling that if there had been less of the "we're just happy to be here" from him at the start of the season they'd have given themselves a far better chance to stay up. The lower end of the championship really isn't all that and Wycombe proved in the second half of the season that they could more than live with those teams.

Just think they came in with an inferiority complex when they could've been riding the momentum of promotion.

Yeah that definitely, and I think the early season 5-0 goosing at Blackburn probably didn’t help their confidence at the start of the season either.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 25 Sep 2021 11:38

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG :shock:

And Waghorn is shit.

If I was Boro, I'd consider that one a lucky escape and keep my mouth shut.

And whilst we're at it, is this a different Boro to the one that went into administration in the 80s and spent most of the 90s and the early part of this century spaffing the chairman's money on players they probably couldn't afford?

Should point out I have no axe to grind with Middlesbrough. Decent people up there and always a good away day.

Bristol City 1982 fans seem to be coming in their pants at the mere thought of us getting a 9 point deduction too, maybe drinking too much cider gives you memory loss.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Sep 2021 13:09

Who can forget the Ashton Gate Five?. Bristol City fans, it would seem.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Sep 2021 16:19

Derby keeper has just been sent off, so will miss our game on Wed.

17149 posts