133 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game - Leeds (H)

by paultheroyal » 03 Apr 2017 12:12

Greatwesternline
paultheroyal
Greatwesternline Is Evans injured? I'd rather see him come on than Mutch.

Its amazing how quickly a bit of sun can improve the pitch.

Whilst the club can claim it was a sell out, the narrow section immediately next to the away fans in Y26 below the screen wasn't attempted to be sold, nor the first 3-4 rows of away fans.

I understand closing those probably keeps the security costs down, but i hope it doesn't mean the club has permanently abandoned those seats.

For a team that spends so much time passing amongst the back four, we are actually very incisive when we do break through the first line of the opposition and the ball moves from the back four to the middle four.

I was very very encouraged by the performance.

The narrow section that you refer to was netted off to allow the tv camera crew to sit there making seats behind restricted. No idea why there is this trend now to net off front rows of stadiums. Must cut off about 600 seats.

I'm not convinced about that. My season ticket in 2012-13 was in that bit and when we were on TV they obviously managed and just put a scaffold above the tunnel in that corner. Even when they put a tv box in the corner for FA Cup matches where the BBC sat in the box they still did so with minimum seat closure.

I just think they can't be bothered with the hassle of having to steward the narrow gap.

Trust me - I am correct.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Apr 2017 13:07

One thing that should be mentioned. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it already as I can't be ar*ed to read through this entire thread. Reece Oxford. He was outstanding when he came on. Despite that dirty Leeds b*stard trying to intimidate him by stamping on his head, Oxford only got up and became even stronger. He's tall, he's athletic, he heads everything away. He looks a really good defender. I was a bit worried with Obita coming off and Blackett going left back and a young kid going in to the heart of our defence for the last minutes of a game when Leeds were playing dirty and trying to intimidate us. But Oxford really stood up to the test and didn't let us down. Fans were throwing bottles trying to intimidate Al Habsi. It can't be nice knowing that you could get struck at any moment from behind your back. Their players were trying to intimidate ours with their little kicks, elbows and stamps. But both Oxford, Al Habsi and the rest of the boys stood up to the test very well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2017 13:10

Agree on Oxford, looks a class act.

No real worries if he has to come in on Tuesday if Obita is out. I've a feeling he might become an important player in our run in now he is fully 100% fit

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 03 Apr 2017 13:22

paultheroyal
Greatwesternline
paultheroyal
The narrow section that you refer to was netted off to allow the tv camera crew to sit there making seats behind restricted. No idea why there is this trend now to net off front rows of stadiums. Must cut off about 600 seats.

I'm not convinced about that. My season ticket in 2012-13 was in that bit and when we were on TV they obviously managed and just put a scaffold above the tunnel in that corner. Even when they put a tv box in the corner for FA Cup matches where the BBC sat in the box they still did so with minimum seat closure.

I just think they can't be bothered with the hassle of having to steward the narrow gap.

Trust me - I am correct.

I believe you, i'm just not sure it needs to be done like that because it hasn't always been like that. So if it hasn't always been like that are they intending the new set up to be permanent for televised games, in which case, they can't offer that bit as season tickets where we to go up

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Apr 2017 13:31

Sanguine
On the 'stamp', I've watched it a few times and try as I might I just can't work out how Cooper's movement is a natural one.

Agreed. He looks at him as he brings his foot down. If it's an accident, you'd think he'd offer some sort of apology, rather than trotting off as if nothing happened.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 03 Apr 2017 13:40

Hound Agree on Oxford, looks a class act.

No real worries if he has to come in on Tuesday if Obita is out. I've a feeling he might become an important player in our run in now he is fully 100% fit

Agreed has a great leap in the air and you can see why he played in the PL at 16, great that we have a few defensive options with Tiago coming back into the fold soon hopefully too.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Apr 2017 13:47

Pepe the Horseman
Sanguine
On the 'stamp', I've watched it a few times and try as I might I just can't work out how Cooper's movement is a natural one.

Agreed. He looks at him as he brings his foot down. If it's an accident, you'd think he'd offer some sort of apology, rather than trotting off as if nothing happened.

The whole jump seemed unnecessary, he was standing over Oxford's legs, and could have simply trotted away.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 03 Apr 2017 13:53

Just saw the stamp and I'm absolutely shocked he has thus far gotten away with it. He deserves at least a 3 match ban minimum!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Apr 2017 16:40

If Zlatan was banned for his then Cooper has to be banned. No subtlety about it in my opinion - indefendable.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Apr 2017 17:14

Yep. Very surprised to have not heard anything about this yet.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Apr 2017 17:20

The Chronicle reporter (I forget his name, Anthony Smith?) said on Twitter the FA are reviewing the match report today.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Apr 2017 17:39

JimmytheJim
bcubed
This won't surprise me either. If it does happen I will hold Mills to blame.
What a oxf*rd! Not a good word to say about Reading throughout

In his defence, he's a oxf*rd idiot.

A fair point

I must admit I had overlooked that

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 03 Apr 2017 22:20

Sanguine To my shame my first home game of the season and only my second overall, having travelled to Fulham for our annual thrashing.

For a change I sat in the North Stand, left of the goal.
I might be accused of hyperbole, but that first half was pretty much as good, in pure footballing terms, as a performance I have ever seen from a Reading side. Blackett and Moore composed on the ball at the back, even when we were playing it around deep in our half. Liam Kelly running the game like Xavi. Pace and incisive passing between the lines. Kermorgant winning everything that came his way (have we had a better flickon-erer since Forster?)

Don't know what the possession stats were but it can't have been less than 80/20 in our favour after the first quarter of the game. And we created a few chances too, as well as the goal. Was a joy to watch.

Leeds caused us a few more problems in the second half - and they might have had they started with Doukara and two up front. But left the game very satisfied with a mature and strong performance against one of the better sides in the division.

If you're a vicious nasty barstardo that enjoys inflicting pain and causing physical damage and suffering to your fellow man, then it was natural.

133 posts