False 3rd

bigshaka'away'

Re: False 3rd

by bigshaka'away' » 08 May 2017 18:26

I would also like to point out that its the Premier League, not the Premiership. They didn't even get the name right. I guess it is all new to them. Bless.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 May 2017 18:52

Oilroyal
Ian Royal
genome
Different, we thought we had finished 6th because of misinformation filtering round the ground, not arrogantly thinking we were already there

They haven't produced the scarf though.

I'm all for a laughing at Brighton, but trying to beat them with the stick of pikey scarf touts is pretty weak.

I think it's more a case of poeetic justice Ian. Whenever anything gets posted on Brighton's NSC about Reading the name tinpot is usually followed by LOL Reading's false pitch invasion. Their premature scarf evens things up. Living in West Sussex I know a few Brighton fans who now own one of these so although the club didnt produce the premature knitware, plenty of mugs now own one. :D

Yeah Ian, let us have this :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 May 2017 18:53

Oilroyal
Ian Royal
genome
Different, we thought we had finished 6th because of misinformation filtering round the ground, not arrogantly thinking we were already there

They haven't produced the scarf though.

I'm all for a laughing at Brighton, but trying to beat them with the stick of pikey scarf touts is pretty weak.

I think it's more a case of poeetic justice Ian. Whenever anything gets posted on Brighton's NSC about Reading the name tinpot is usually followed by LOL Reading's false pitch invasion. Their premature scarf evens things up. Living in West Sussex I know a few Brighton fans who now own one of these so although the club didnt produce the premature knitware, plenty of mugs now own one. :D

That's because our pitch invasion was proper lolsworthy.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 09 May 2017 13:15

Oilroyal
BR0B0T I'm gonna save LOLing at bROFLighton
until after the playoffs

as the saying goes...

He who LOL's last LOL's longest!

I agree but in the meantime, I'll place here. But please resist all temptation to laugh your arse off, for now. :D

I happily laugh at the factual inaccuracies on those pathetic scarves.

1) It's not Brighton, it's Brighton & Hove.
2) They're not Champions.
3) It's the Premier League, not Premiership.

I'd burn them all and start again.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 May 2017 14:09

Boo hoo, the Brighton fans didn't make the scarves!?! Well, why do you think some tat vendor thought there was a market in these things?

double d

by double d » 09 May 2017 17:05

Sorry to be a nemsa but what does false 3rd actually mean?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 May 2017 17:31

Silver Fox Boo hoo, the Brighton fans didn't make the scarves!?! Well, why do you think some tat vendor thought there was a market in these things?

:|

Get a grip SF.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 May 2017 18:28

double d Sorry to be a nemsa but what does false 3rd actually mean?

Throughout the season, particularly when we were 3rd, other clubs were constantly saying that we were in a "false position" (whatever that means) and that we would eventually hit a bad run and fall away.

Still hasn't happened yet.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 09 May 2017 20:10

genome

Throughout the season, particularly when we were 3rd, other clubs were constantly saying that we were in a "false position" (whatever that means) and that we would eventually hit a bad run and fall away.

Early days. There's still time. Leeds are due a late surge to claim their rightful big club place. And Villa, and Derby, and Forest, and Norwich, and Birmingham

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 May 2017 21:08

Are we mathematically safe yet?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 May 2017 21:29

Jagermesiter1871 Are we mathematically safe yet?

Technically yes but we still have to wait to see the verdict from the independent panel that might dock us 85 points for our small away attendances and overall tinpotness.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 May 2017 22:40

genome

Other clubs?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 09 May 2017 22:42

Oilroyal
BR0B0T I'm gonna save LOLing at bROFLighton
until after the playoffs

as the saying goes...

He who LOL's last LOL's longest!

I agree but in the meantime, I'll place here. But please resist all temptation to laugh your arse off, for now. :D

He probably sold more scarves before the game than after it.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 May 2017 23:21

Silver Fox
genome

Other clubs?

Forward United
Brian McDermott Albion
Negative City
STG FC

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 May 2017 07:32

Silver Fox
genome

Other clubs?

Definitely, lots of it from Brighton, Leeds, Villa on Twatter. Some on here too.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 May 2017 10:10

One website I found interesting was experimental361, while I did find his statistics interesting, what I found more interesting was how much of an anomaly Reading were this season in his model, he basically spent the whole season trying to explain it and expecting us to fade away, this is the last posted e-ratings on 29th April:

https://experimental361.com/2017/04/29/ ... -apr-2017/

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 May 2017 10:23

tidus_mi2 One website I found interesting was experimental361, while I did find his statistics interesting, what I found more interesting was how much of an anomaly Reading were this season in his model, he basically spent the whole season trying to explain it and expecting us to fade away, this is the last posted e-ratings on 29th April:

https://experimental361.com/2017/04/29/ ... -apr-2017/

My problem with all of these ranking by goals, or expected goals or shots etc etc, is that they value all goals the same, when they are clearly not.

First goal of a 6-0 win is worth a few hundred times the 6th goal.

Seems obvious to me that, as well as possession, Stam's philosophy also includes - go for the win. i.e., a draw isn't much better than a loss, so there's no value in shutting up shop if you're 2-0 down, you might as well keep an attacking shape and keep having a go. That's why we occasionally get thumped. However, when we got to the business-end of the season, when we were playing "6-point" games against play-off rivals, etc - a draw was nearly as good as a win, as it also took points off a rival. And therefore he set up a bit differently.

I fully expect, as a veteran of many European two-legged ties himself, he will be all about caution, and not conceding many in the away leg of the play-offs. Whether they'll succeed or not, is a different question.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 May 2017 10:28

That's fair and the creator of these stats has said he would get more concise results with better data but he would have to pay for that, what he currently produces is with what free data is available.

My theory in our poor rating is that it doesn't reflect the strength of a good goalkeeper, we all know the amount of top saves Al-Habsi has had to make this season and it was no surprise he won player of the season again, although it must have undoubtedly been a lot closer than last season.

Which is why I think it's a joke he wasn't in the team of the season, for all of what Stockdale can do, he hasn't been as tested as Al-Habsi.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 May 2017 10:56

Is it just me who finds all this "expected goals" malarkey completely pointless and boring?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 May 2017 11:43

genome Is it just me who finds all this "expected goals" malarkey completely pointless and boring?

No.