204 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: BFTG - Fulham

by RoyalBlue » 18 May 2017 21:13

Mike Hunt
bobby1413 This whole experience just reinforces my bemusement with people that support Liverpool/Man United, etc... with no connection to the club.

I try to avoid football talk in work, this is one reason that happened yesterday:

Colleague - are you going tonight?
Me - yes, I can't wait as I've just been sick with nerves for a couple of days now, such a big game
Colleague - yes, I know exactly what you mean. When Man United played in the champions league final I had the same feeling

Me - :roll: yes, I'm sure you did as you watched it on TV with no connection to Manchester at all, and having only been to one game there in your entire life (I didn't say this).

Ill have to respectfully pull you up here.

I have no connection to the town of Reading. I am an Australian who decided to follow Reading when I got into supporting football. This was in 2005 / 2006, when Australia made the world cup for the first time.

I saw them in the 05/06 season on TV here, and liked the look of them. I was also going to the Reading festival in 2006. That was it. That is how I picked Reading FC.

I watched their first game in the PL against Middlesbrough while in Amsterdam. I still remember it. After that game, I was fcking hooked.

I listen to Tim Dellor just about every game during each season, at 2am for the majority of it. I used to stay up for the game, now I go to sleep and set my alarm to wake up for kick off. I think in 10 years, I would have missed listening to or watching only 20 games. I used to listen to Peter Fcking Hood before the 2010 / 2011 season.

I have been to 2 games live. First was Coventry at home December 2010. 0-0 bore draw. Second was Derby away where the snow turned most Reading fans around. I was able to get there by train from London. When Shane Long scored the winner in the 88th minute, holy sh!t, what a feeling. One of the best feelings I have felt.

I felt every kick of that game last night. My nerves are still wrecked because of it. I am Reading FC through and through, much to the amusement and albeit respect of my friends.

I just wish I could afford to get over for the playoff final.

Sorry for the essay, just wanted to let you know that you don't necessarily need to have a connection like you are referring to, and you can build one.

BBC Radio Berks really should get this super fan Aussie on air. Not only does he deserve it but, having heard Dellor caught out twice with Santa emptying his sack in his bedroom, I'd love to hear him introduce the Hob Nobber known as Mike Hunt!

And if there was a crowdfunder to get him over to the Playoff Final, I'd chip in.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 19 May 2017 02:27

bobby1413
handbags_harris The fundamental difference here is that it is an easy decision to make to follow a club that is historically successful with a list of trophy wins as long as your arms...so well done you, sir, for not going down the route of the lemming-like masses.

To give another example, my m8 texted me about the game on Tuesday and I replied saying it was a nerve racking experience and I didn't enjoy the game as it was just too tense with so much at stake.

He is a Liverpool fan and has been to Anfield once. His reply was "I know what how you feel. I've been really tense and nervous waiting to see if Liverpool will finish in the top 4. I couldn't even watch them play west ham game".

It's just results in the biggest :| from me.

I definitely get what you are saying. When I ask people who they follow, my first reaction is to eye roll, however, I listen and see if they are a plastic or a real fan. A lot of people over here have followed ManU, Liverpool et al since they were kids. you cannot be faulted for following one of these teams when you are a kid tbh.

One of my mates was a Charlton fan. He moved over in 2009 and lives there still. He decided to follow a "real team" and chose to follow Arsenal. Oh my oxf*rd sides. I still ridicule him to this day...

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 19 May 2017 02:42

Ian Royal Good post. Good man.

Cheers Ian :)

handbags_harris The fundamental difference here is that it is an easy decision to make to follow a club that is historically successful with a list of trophy wins as long as your arms...so well done you, sir, for not going down the route of the lemming-like masses.

Cheers Handbags. mean a lot coming from one of my favourite nobbers. Glad I can hear you each week on the pod :)

seahawk10 Agreed and I have the same type of connection/feeling. I bloody love this club.

It is such a great feeling when it just clicks. I have a rugby league team over here that I used to follow, and now - I dont even watch their games. And they are actually killing it the past 2 years, and that is great for the long suffering fans, but I just don't have the connection anymore. For me, I am a 1 team man. And Reading have taken that mantle.

RoyalBlue BBC Radio Berks really should get this super fan Aussie on air. Not only does he deserve it but, having heard Dellor caught out twice with Santa emptying his sack in his bedroom, I'd love to hear him introduce the Hob Nobber known as Mike Hunt!

And if there was a crowdfunder to get him over to the Playoff Final, I'd chip in.

Haha, I would gladly go on it. Not sure how well I would do under the pressure at being on live.

I love Tim Dellor, but understands why he gets the crap he gets. I love his passion, he loves this club as much as all of us do :) The call for the West Brom game at home in 2013 was phenomenal. He just lost his shit, I could just imagine his arms flailing around as he hugged Mick when Pog put the ball in the net.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 19 May 2017 03:23

genome Here is a picture of Hugh Grant on the verge of tears at the Mad Stad.

Happy Thursday!

At least he was there didn't see that pointless oxf*rd.

204 posts