The Shame Your Block Thread

199 posts
Sebastian the Red

Re: The Shame Your Block Thread

by Sebastian the Red » 30 May 2017 16:15

RG30 The atmosphere was certainly disappointing when compared to the Swansea and Arsenal matches. The general mood in the build up particularly in the town was very subdued, only 1 flag I saw hanging up outside Lime Bar. The club still have plenty of work to do to reconnect with the wider fan base

Winning might help

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 30 May 2017 16:25

Maguire
bobby1413 It's not immature to get frustrated by fans and supporters just sitting on their hands, especially on a big occasion

Yes it is, it's pathetic. WTF does it have to do with you how other people behave? There are no bigger pcunts at football matches that self-appointed fan police who scream at strangers for not singing their daft little song.

The players wanted more support

Yeah and I wanted them to turn up and not play like dogshit but they couldn't grant me that small wish either.

Agree with Bobby1413, although don't condone screaming at strangers as you mention.
Immature to scream at strangers...yes...but to be frustrated for the lack of support...no, and why should it be?

Football matches used to be FUN, which didn't necessarily depend on whether your team won or lost.
Obviously a winning team helps, but I've been to away games before that we've lost but still come away having had an amazing time - mainly generated by strangers in a crowd MAKING SOME NOISE AND ACTUALLY CONNECTING WITH EACH OTHER, not just sitting there in stony silence wishing there was no-one else sat within a million miles of them!
Bolton in '95 was more disappointing for sure, but I definitely remember having a far, far better day than I did yesterday.
Yesterday was in no way, shape or form 'fun'.

Perhaps I'm just going back too many years :cry:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 May 2017 16:27

Oxon_Royal
Maguire
bobby1413 It's not immature to get frustrated by fans and supporters just sitting on their hands, especially on a big occasion

Yes it is, it's pathetic. WTF does it have to do with you how other people behave? There are no bigger pcunts at football matches that self-appointed fan police who scream at strangers for not singing their daft little song.

Yeah and I wanted them to turn up and not play like dogshit but they couldn't grant me that small wish either.

Agree with Bobby1413, although don't condone screaming at strangers as you mention.
Immature to scream at strangers...yes...but to be frustrated for the lack of support...no, and why should it be?

Football matches used to be FUN, which didn't necessarily depend on whether your team won or lost.
Obviously a winning team helps, but I've been to away games before that we've lost but still come away having had an amazing time - mainly generated by strangers in a crowd MAKING SOME NOISE AND ACTUALLY CONNECTING WITH EACH OTHER, not just sitting there in stony silence wishing there was no-one else sat within a million miles of them!
Bolton in '95 was more disappointing for sure, but I definitely remember having a far, far better day than I did yesterday.

Yea, I can't in anyway agree with other fans having a go at people for not making noise. Definitely don't like the fan police in that respect

Bob Smith

by Bob Smith » 30 May 2017 17:38

dashdash
paultheroyal Block 111 - all standing, no issues, heard no gripes. Understood situation considering my 5 year old with me. He either stood on seat or in my arms....

Section sang when they needed to ... that's about all I can say really.

Ps minute silence brilliantly observed and fortunate 22nd min was when injury going on.

In 111 also. Sat down at half time and that was about it; voice was shot until this morning.

We were row 12 I think. About 5 or 6 rows from the front were a family, young kids etc. I'm in two minds about things; one one hand they really ought to expect to be part of it when they're in a block like that, but on the flipside having an aggressive drunk guy yell at you, your wife and your middle-class 8 year olds to "stand the f*ck up and support" seems a little too much. Still, they moved on at half time, hopefully to a place where they were happier. Our empty seats up to the left of the pitch were blatant, so putting people off supporting us seems pretty counterproductive.

A family of fairweathers, but surely having local bums on seats is better than empty seats?

If you were in row 12 the drunk (fwiw I didn't think he was particularly tanked) was to your right? Purple Lyle and Scott? I was row 13 and came very close to having a word with him but had my kids with me and didn't want to spoil the day

The woman was four or five rows in front of him and making not the slightest difference to his day out. really couldn't fathom why he was getting so animated. He stfu once she grassed him to the stewards though. Big man :lol:

I thought there was a fair effort in our block. Stood all game and hoarse despite the lack of any excitement on the pitch.

Don't know what was going on to our left though. The whole block, 112, sat on their arses for the entire match.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 30 May 2017 17:55

genome Some chaps behind me in 507, whenever Izzy Brown's name was read out, they'd shout "YES HE IS!"

That wasn't me - but they stole my joke.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 May 2017 18:05

No Fixed Abode
genome Some chaps behind me in 507, whenever Izzy Brown's name was read out, they'd shout "YES HE IS!"

Well done on your shit joke.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 May 2017 18:08

No Fixed Abode

Racists

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 30 May 2017 18:09

Great atmosphere in 108. Surprised to hear so much disappointment at the fans, everyone around me was great.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 30 May 2017 18:12

My block, 520, was fukking dogshite as well.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 30 May 2017 19:07

In that respect think we were in the best block, 109. Stood all the time and no animosity between fans

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 May 2017 19:19

207 full of day trippers - you can tell as me and Mrs are the only people wearing the hoops.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 May 2017 19:28

Oxon_Royal
Maguire

Agree entirely. The new generation appears to expect teams to perform brilliantly every time they step on the pitch and don't feel they need to provide true vocal support and encouragement unless and until the team do something they deem worthy of that support. How long will it take until they realise that it doesn't really work that way in any sport, with any team or individual? Doubtless most of them subscribe to the hair dryer and tea cups school of management and that culture has lost (if it ever really had it) credibility amongst coaches too.

I guess we have to call the silent brigade supporters because they turn up and support the club with their money but what the team and management clearly want more than anything is the vocal support that money can't easily buy. If we deliver that vocal support then the financial rewards will come the club's way too.

Sebastian the Red
RG30 The atmosphere was certainly disappointing when compared to the Swansea and Arsenal matches. The general mood in the build up particularly in the town was very subdued, only 1 flag I saw hanging up outside Lime Bar. The club still have plenty of work to do to reconnect with the wider fan base

Winning might help

If the team need to be winning before they get that support then they don't really need it do they?

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 30 May 2017 19:35

:lol: Cant believe someone has started a thread called "Shame your Block". Really. Can't. Believe. It. There's bigger things in life than losing a playoff final. There's certainly bigger things in life than worrying about how much your fellow fans are singing at said playoff final.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 May 2017 19:36

Para Handy :lol: Cant believe someone has started a thread called "Shame your Block". Really. Can't. Believe. It. There's bigger things in life than losing a playoff final. There's certainly bigger things in life than worrying about how much your fellow fans are singing at said playoff final.

You're going in my "shame your nobber" thread

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 30 May 2017 19:45

Para Handy :lol: Cant believe someone has started a thread called "Shame your Block". Really. Can't. Believe. It. There's bigger things in life than losing a playoff final. There's certainly bigger things in life than worrying about how much your fellow fans are singing at said playoff final.

But this is a Royals fans' forum where we discuss things that mean a lot to us - hence why it is completely relevant.
No-one is saying in the whole scheme of things that it's that important (for instance, compared to the Manchester bombing), but when supporters of their club invest time and money in the biggest game for years, it does become important when their day is made pretty crap by the team and the apathy of fellow so-called supporters!

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 30 May 2017 19:46

Cool. I've no idea what that is but I'm guessing I'd probably be happy to be in there. I've probably been watching Reading before you were born m8. It's fucking laughable people bitching about how much people sing. I mean, really.... a) does it actually matter and b) there were clearly a lot of people (daytrippers, for you obssessed twats) that were there that don't usually attend games. Christ. Maybe we should only be allowed to take 20,000 to Wembley.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 30 May 2017 19:46

Oxon_Royal

But this is a Royals fans' forum where we discuss things that mean a lot to us - hence why it is completely relevant.
No-one is saying in the whole scheme of things that it's that important (for instance, compared to the Manchester bombing), but when supporters of their club invest time and money in the biggest game for years, it does become important when their day is made pretty crap by the team and the apathy of fellow so-called supporters!

Oh, yeah. You're the bloke that went to his first game in 5 years right. Next.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 May 2017 19:49

Mid Sussex Royal 207 full of day trippers - you can tell as me and Mrs are the only people wearing the hoops.

Right because that defines a day tripper or not :roll:

I never wear colours because I'm a Reading Ultra and all round hard man.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 May 2017 19:52

Para Handy Cool. I've no idea what that is but I'm guessing I'd probably be happy to be in there. I've probably been watching Reading before you were born m8. It's fucking laughable people bitching about how much people sing. I mean, really.... a) does it actually matter and b) there were clearly a lot of people (daytrippers, for you obssessed twats) that were there that don't usually attend games. Christ. Maybe we should only be allowed to take 20,000 to Wembley.

Bloody hell PH chill out will you! You should log off the board now if this type of thread annoys you as the forum is full of stuff like this.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 May 2017 19:52

leon
Mid Sussex Royal 207 full of day trippers - you can tell as me and Mrs are the only people wearing the hoops.

Right because that defines a day tripper or not :roll:

I never wear colours because I'm a Reading Ultra and all round hard man.

Since I've left the firm I can now wear my RFC training top to games

199 posts