CONFIMRED - Nelson Oliveira

725 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Nelson Oliveira

by Nameless » 02 Apr 2019 13:51

NewCorkSeth It's a really good topic actually and one that probably deserves it's own thread. We have 4 gaping holes in the squad that the loanee will leave behind. 5 if theres a clear out.

GK, DC, MC, ST. And all could reasonably be argued to be the most important.

Oh for the days when we just said ‘we need a decent centre back’, took me a while to work out what a ‘DC’ is. When did football start thinking it needed these daft codes for positions ? They don’t even clarify what we need. We don’t just need a ‘striker’, we need a centre forward.....oris that an FC ?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Apr 2019 14:00

Nameless
NewCorkSeth It's a really good topic actually and one that probably deserves it's own thread. We have 4 gaping holes in the squad that the loanee will leave behind. 5 if theres a clear out.

GK, DC, MC, ST. And all could reasonably be argued to be the most important.

Oh for the days when we just said ‘we need a decent centre back’, took me a while to work out what a ‘DC’ is. When did football start thinking it needed these daft codes for positions ? They don’t even clarify what we need. We don’t just need a ‘striker’, we need a centre forward.....oris that an FC ?

That was just me failing to remember CB. Sorry all.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Apr 2019 18:12

Hound reckon Swift might go in the summer. Probably our most sellable asset along with Barrow. Reckon they'll just send that first goal on Saturday round to every champ club and invite offers for the pair of them

If we could get multiple millions for both to part fund Nelson, Miazga, Martinez, Baker and Ejaria I would be fooking delighted.

Both talented. Both luxuries who don't consistently pull their weight (Both much better recently)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Apr 2019 19:26

Can't wait to see Swift fcuk off. Such an inconsistent show pony who isn't half as good as he thinks he is.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Apr 2019 20:40

Denver Royal Yeah, given what the loanees have shown, hope we now don't 'downgrade' too much when they leave.
NewCorkSeth We have to admit it's a slim chance with Martinez.. Very slim. I think looking for good, cheap alternatives now would be the wise thing for our scouting department to do.

Hope the scouts do a good job, cos Martinez has clearly shown the gulf that exists between him and Jak/Walker. If Martinez doesn't return, then one way or another we need a much better keeper - and we may have to spend a fair bit to do it.
Nameless Would be happy with McIntyre or Osho, not much to choose between them. Both good footballing centre backs, both perhaps an inch or 2 shorter than ideal alongside Moore.

Been beating the drum for years, but in general short-ish CB's don't work well (for me) in the Champ (esp next to Moore). Miazga has shown what height can do week in week out in the Champ, and to me it would be folly to now go back to being shorter again. If it's not to be Miazga, then someone else like him please.
Btw, anyone think three's a possibility of Moore going, like he wanted to? ? He's played well recently, which may put himself in the window again.

I think people are slightly harsh on Jaakkola, he's been decent enough this season, certainly better than Vito Oxf*rd Mannone

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Apr 2019 20:42

URZZZZ
Denver Royal Yeah, given what the loanees have shown, hope we now don't 'downgrade' too much when they leave.
NewCorkSeth We have to admit it's a slim chance with Martinez.. Very slim. I think looking for good, cheap alternatives now would be the wise thing for our scouting department to do.

Hope the scouts do a good job, cos Martinez has clearly shown the gulf that exists between him and Jak/Walker. If Martinez doesn't return, then one way or another we need a much better keeper - and we may have to spend a fair bit to do it.
Nameless Would be happy with McIntyre or Osho, not much to choose between them. Both good footballing centre backs, both perhaps an inch or 2 shorter than ideal alongside Moore.

Been beating the drum for years, but in general short-ish CB's don't work well (for me) in the Champ (esp next to Moore). Miazga has shown what height can do week in week out in the Champ, and to me it would be folly to now go back to being shorter again. If it's not to be Miazga, then someone else like him please.
Btw, anyone think three's a possibility of Moore going, like he wanted to? ? He's played well recently, which may put himself in the window again.

I think people are slightly harsh on Jaakkola, he's been decent enough this season, certainly better than Vito Oxf*rd Mannone

He can save for sure but his distribution is woeful. So bad. Half the time he couldn't keep it in play.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Apr 2019 20:43

CountryRoyal Can't wait to see Swift fcuk off. Such an inconsistent show pony who isn't half as good as he thinks he is.

You sir, just made an enemy for life.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 02 Apr 2019 21:00

CountryRoyal Can't wait to see Swift fcuk off. Such an inconsistent show pony who isn't half as good as he thinks he is.

Just :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Apr 2019 07:05

You're not alone.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Apr 2019 07:06

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

He can save for sure but his distribution is woeful. So bad. Half the time he couldn't keep it in play.

He falls apart when asked to play out, but if asked to just kick he's plenty fine.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2019 07:10

Martinez’s distribution is different level to Anssi. He is top class at getting the ball forward king and accurately. He’s created a fair few chances on that alone - and just the threat of it means the oppo aren’t pressing us as much

Anssi is a good shot stopper but we need to do better than him really

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Apr 2019 07:26

Hound Martinez’s distribution is different level to Anssi. He is top class at getting the ball forward king and accurately. He’s created a fair few chances on that alone - and just the threat of it means the oppo aren’t pressing us as much

Precisely. I mean Barrows goal was from a Martinez quick kick out. Yes it was well won by Meite and yes their defenders pissed about but the chance was created due to that long accurate kick.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 03 Apr 2019 09:05

Martinez is the best keeper we have had for donkey`s years- in fact since Shaka Hislop

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2019 09:11

NewCorkSeth
Hound Martinez’s distribution is different level to Anssi. He is top class at getting the ball forward king and accurately. He’s created a fair few chances on that alone - and just the threat of it means the oppo aren’t pressing us as much

Precisely. I mean Barrows goal was from a Martinez quick kick out. Yes it was well won by Meite and yes their defenders pissed about but the chance was created due to that long accurate kick.

think the thing he does when he quickly boots the ball up field down the wing has added an extra dimension to our game.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Apr 2019 09:17

Hound
NewCorkSeth

think the thing he does when he quickly boots the ball up field down the wing has added an extra dimension to our game.

Fo' sho' hes gonna be how I measure Reading keepers from now on.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Apr 2019 16:53

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ I think people are slightly harsh on Jaakkola, he's been decent enough this season, certainly better than Vito Oxf*rd Mannone

He falls apart when asked to play out, but if asked to just kick he's plenty fine.

Jaak is ok, but another aspect of Martinez I like is he comes off his line more, and with more confidence, to either catch balls or punch/parry them away. I've not looked at stats, but it seems that way.
Miazga has also helped, but think it's been crucial for us given our aerial deficiencies in the Champ where a lot of high balls are pumped in to big lumps. It reduces opportunities for opponents, relieves pressure, and at the same time affords us more possessions, with Martinez initiating them. Comparatively, Jaak may in fact be taller, but seems more rooted to his line.
(Ironically, the one (more) time I thought Martinez could have came off his line was at home to Rovrum, when their player headed down/across for their late equalizer by Ajayi).
If it's not to be Martinez, and we stay in Champ, then think we need to upgrade at keeper one way or another.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Apr 2019 17:12

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Didn't see this earlier but I disagree completely. Hes often kicked it either completely out of play or too high for a player (happened to Blackett often enough) to control and keep in.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Apr 2019 17:14

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth He can save for sure but his distribution is woeful. So bad. Half the time he couldn't keep it in play.

Jaak is ok, but another aspect of Martinez I like is he comes off his line more, and with more confidence, to either catch balls or punch/parry them away. I've not looked at stats, but it seems that way.
Miazga has also helped, but think it's been crucial for us given our aerial deficiencies in the Champ where a lot of high balls are pumped in to big lumps. It reduces opportunities for opponents, relieves pressure, and at the same time affords us more possessions, with Martinez initiating them. Comparatively, Jaak may in fact be taller, but seems more rooted to his line.
(Ironically, the one (more) time I thought Martinez could have came off his line was at home to Rovrum, when their player headed down/across for their late equalizer by Ajayi).
If it's not to be Martinez, and we stay in Champ, then think we need to upgrade at keeper one way or another.

Mannone is done for at this club, Jaakkolas contract is up this summer, Walker didn't seem good enough in his run (and is obviously nowhere near the standard of Martinez) and Southwood is too green. It's something we better be working on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2019 17:21

Ward is getting decent game time in Div2

Be ok with him or Southwood back up, or first choice if we went down. But yes a new first 11 keeper needed if we stay up

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Apr 2019 19:49

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth He can save for sure but his distribution is woeful. So bad. Half the time he couldn't keep it in play.

Didn't see this earlier but I disagree completely. Hes often kicked it either completely out of play or too high for a player (happened to Blackett often enough) to control and keep in.

His kicking isn't brilliant but it's ok.

Hahnemann and Federici used to kick it straight out sometimes too. It happens when you target the winger at the side of the pitch.

Better a throw in there than a turnover on the D.

725 posts