CONFIMRED - Vito Mannone

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Vito Mannone

by John Smith » 19 Jul 2017 09:31

Tommio
Sutekh So what's wrong with him according to Sunderland's fans then?

Need a keeper who doesnt panic when the idiots in front of him give him hospital balls to deal with.

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/201 ... sunderland
Watch this 3 minute video. If you're too lazy, start it at 1 minute. This was sent to me by a Sunderland fan and said that this sums him up.

He obviously won't be this bad or else he wouldn't have spent so long in the PL. I'm much happier with him than I would've been with Button.

I dunno, the cameraman doesn't really keep up but you wouldn't exactly expect your left back to poon it back 40 yards would you.

Unless it was Peter Whittingham of course.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 19 Jul 2017 09:32

Tommio

Need a keeper who doesnt panic when the idiots in front of him give him hospital balls to deal with.

Watch this 3 minute video. If you're too lazy, start it at 1 minute. This was sent to me by a Sunderland fan and said that this sums him up.

He obviously won't be this bad or else he wouldn't have spent so long in the PL. I'm much happier with him than I would've been with Button.

Remember when Al Habsi did this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB9_ie-Z-RQ

Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ657-3VIps

He still won player of the season 2 years running

The Informant

by The Informant » 19 Jul 2017 09:39

Mannone was great for Sunderland for Big Sam and for a bit under Moyes until the Southampton 7-0 which seemed to knock his confidence.

Fresh start and a bit of confidence and we'll have us a good keeper.

retro royal

by retro royal » 19 Jul 2017 09:51

Bit worried to be fair, especially after reading this https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/v ... 84/page-25

safc9ftm

by safc9ftm » 19 Jul 2017 10:09

Alright lads/lasses,

Where to start with Mannone, he's an absolute gent, a lot of the media down your end around Bradley Lowery will probably focus on Defoe, but Mannone was one of, if not, the first player to do a lot of work with him. He's a model pro and deserves a lot of credit for it.

Then there's the player..he'll always be remembered for the semi final v Man Utd, he was exceptional in the penalty shoot.
He's been our player of the season previously, which might fill you with confidence, but we've been absolute dross and he was pretty much the best of a bad bunch.

His distribution is horrendous, genuinely 9/10 of his long kicks go out of play. If and when he comes out and claims a cross he slows the play down, much to the absolute frustration of Defoe last year who visibly had a go at him on many occasions.

He's not a great shot stopper, his positioning is terrible, like to the point you look and think why on earth was he covering a quarter of his goal, and he doesn't really instill any confidence in his defence.

I imagine the final straw for Grayson was the st johnston game last week, we got beat 3-0 and he was humiliated for one of them.

Good luck for the season, i met a group of reading fans at Germany v england and had a good laugh.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Jul 2017 10:15

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-fans-vito-mannone-transfer-13270100

And yet in the above article they talk about being 'thrilled' and 'boosted' at the prospect of him staying (from a couple of weeks ago)

Remarkable how opinions can shift so much after news of an offer being accepted...

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 19 Jul 2017 10:23

Tommio

In fairness it was against the Mighty St Johnstone :lol:

The fault for the first goal has to lie with the pass back.

David Wotherspoons 1st goal (the 2nd goal) took a bit of a deflection but I would have expected the keeper to have done a little better.
Wotherspoons 2nd was a combination of the keeper being caught flat footed and quick feet by the attacker.

If I was a Sunderland fan I would be more worried about how shit the rest of their team are they looked rather rusty I wouldn't be surprised if they get relegated again this season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Jul 2017 10:41

Before passing comment on Vito and mentioning mistakes, perhaps you should read this thread from when Al-Habsi signed (coincidentally some of these comments from people already commenting on this thread):

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=127449

Not my favourite choice

Used to be really quite good, not too sure now. Makes too many mistakes too.

FFS. Why spend 6 years developing Andersen if, when in line to become first team GK, he's not good enough? And then sign oxf*rd al habsi?

There are much better goalkeeping prospects out there than Al Habsi

Not keen on Habsi joining due to all mistakes ... makes too many mistakes not worth it and just watch this and you'll see! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESPz-Y6GV5s

Sorry, just not convinced on Al Habsi

Federici is a much better keeper than this clown. Several years ago my kids and I nicknamed him Al-Dropsi. It used to be quite funny watching him make mistake after mistake on MOTD. Probably won't be quite so funny when he's the keeper in our team however

Dear god no. He's awful and error prone.

8)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2017 10:51

looks like he'll prob be another one to split opinion

For the money though, he has decent experience, is a good age, and seems to be a decent lad (which seems to be an important factor in Stam's philosophy - the whole team come across pretty well on a personal level)

Happy with the signing. I think he'll do well

The Informant

by The Informant » 19 Jul 2017 11:00

genome Before passing comment on Vito and mentioning mistakes, perhaps you should read this thread from when Al-Habsi signed (coincidentally some of these comments from people already commenting on this thread):

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=127449

Not my favourite choice

Used to be really quite good, not too sure now. Makes too many mistakes too.

FFS. Why spend 6 years developing Andersen if, when in line to become first team GK, he's not good enough? And then sign oxf*rd al habsi?

There are much better goalkeeping prospects out there than Al Habsi

Not keen on Habsi joining due to all mistakes ... makes too many mistakes not worth it and just watch this and you'll see! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESPz-Y6GV5s

Sorry, just not convinced on Al Habsi

Federici is a much better keeper than this clown. Several years ago my kids and I nicknamed him Al-Dropsi. It used to be quite funny watching him make mistake after mistake on MOTD. Probably won't be quite so funny when he's the keeper in our team however

Dear god no. He's awful and error prone.

8)

I'm ok with this signing but it's also worth mentioning that just because some people doubted a signing and it turned out well, it doesn't mean all doubted signings will turn out well.

It's just simple minded thinking.

It's like the people that whinge when sell an academy product just because of how Antonio turned out.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Jul 2017 11:13

Must admit it does seem an odd choice of keeper. The way Stam wants Reading to play out from the back you would think he'd get a keeper with decent distribution.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Jul 2017 11:14

The Informant I'm ok with this signing but it's also worth mentioning that just because some people doubted a signing and it turned out well, it doesn't mean all doubted signings will turn out well.

It's just simple minded thinking.

It's like the people that whinge when sell an academy product just because of how Antonio turned out.

No, I agree with you totally. I'm not saying Mannone is a guaranteed success, just that historically we have got it right, so hopefully people won't write him off before a ball is kicked like they did Al-Habsi.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 19 Jul 2017 11:30

'I have always thought of him as good on a good day and shocking on a poor one. You don't know who's going to turn up. He makes an excellent save then gets beaten by a poor shot. He has been a loyal player for us but a number of managers have dropped him for better keepers. He let a howler go the other day against St. Johnstone. If he can play to his strengths and reach his potential he will be a good keeper. I am sorry to see him leave to be honest'.

View from a Sunderland supporting mate.

Having read a few of their posts, I get the impression that he has been experiencing a crisis of confidence and particularly in respect of their defence. If Big Sam got the best out of him, I've no doubt that Big Jaap will do the same. Alongside Big Dave, as in the Beasant variety.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 19 Jul 2017 11:35

safc9ftm His distribution is horrendous, genuinely 9/10 of his long kicks go out of play. If and when he comes out and claims a cross he slows the play down, much to the absolute frustration of Defoe last year who visibly had a go at him on many occasions.

Then he'll fit in well as Stam likes to play the slow patient game, out from the back and nothing long from the keeper.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 19 Jul 2017 12:16

TBM
safc9ftm His distribution is horrendous, genuinely 9/10 of his long kicks go out of play. If and when he comes out and claims a cross he slows the play down, much to the absolute frustration of Defoe last year who visibly had a go at him on many occasions.

Then he'll fit in well as Stam likes to play the slow patient game, out from the back and nothing long from the keeper.

Considering he learnt his trade at arsenal a team notorious for possession and working the ball forward. He must know this style of play. It may be that sunderlands hoof it long and hope style of play did not suite him.
This may be an ingenious signing on Stams part.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Jul 2017 12:31

This journo, taking time out from Whitesnake to do a bit of sports reporting, confirms medical is happening right now:

David Coverdale @dpcoverdale
Vito Mannone having his medical at #readingfc now.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Jul 2017 12:46

As of 2015:

Who scored characteristics:

Strengths
- Saving long shots: Strong
- Saving close range shots: Strong

Weaknesses
- (Player has no significant weaknesses)

Style of Play
- Comes off his line often

Who Scored claims last season he had a 41% accurate pass rate from 9 games.

In those 9 games he made 45 short passes, all accurate.
55 accurate long balls compared to 144 that went out of play or to the other team. So just over a quarter of long balls went to a team mate.

In 82 Premier League appearances he's conceded 116 goals. with 25 clean sheets. On average when he's conceded he's let 2 goals in per game.

Clockwatcher

by Clockwatcher » 19 Jul 2017 12:54

Mannone makes mistakes,so what....
Some people have short memories, the records show that Al Habsi let 7 in at Norwich......
Give him a chance to show what he can do.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jul 2017 13:21

I think he's a great signing for £2m.

He was Sunderland's player of the season a couple of years ago. He rightly lost his place to Pickford, and look at him now.

All keepers will make mistakes at times but usually more than most will make up for them during the course of a season.

Some Championship clubs are paying ridiculous fees for players but at the end of day only 3 teams can be promoted. Brighton and Huddersfield didn't spend silly money last year, nor did we.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 19 Jul 2017 13:36

Have to agree with Clockwatcher, give the guy a chance !