Reading FC 1985/86

East Grinstead Royal

Re: Reading FC 1985/86

by East Grinstead Royal » 05 Sep 2017 12:49

The thing I always remember about the Newport game was at full time, thinking how sporting the Newport supporters were in clapping Reading for setting a new record (that was the 12th of 13). It was years later that I realised there were Reading supporters scattered around the entire ground (replica shirts and colours weren't so much of a thing in those days).

The thing with Senior was that Reading based their whole game around him and what he could feed off. When he went to Watford, he was expected to fit in with their style which, although based on the long ball as well, didn't suit him as well and he really struggled.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 05 Sep 2017 18:32

East Grinstead Royal The thing I always remember about the Newport game was at full time, thinking how sporting the Newport supporters were in clapping Reading for setting a new record (that was the 12th of 13). It was years later that I realised there were Reading supporters scattered around the entire ground (replica shirts and colours weren't so much of a thing in those days).

The thing with Senior was that Reading based their whole game around him and what he could feed off. When he went to Watford, he was expected to fit in with their style which, although based on the long ball as well, didn't suit him as well and he really struggled.

Went to Somerton Park a few times, including the record breaking game.
Surprised you said their fans were friendly.
I think every time I went, we found ourselves being chased around the ground.

Newport is a total dive and from my perspective I have to say their fans represented the shitty area perfectly.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 05 Sep 2017 18:55

Mr Optimist So gutted when Kevin Bremner left for Brighton. I heard a rumour that he had been refused an extra £50 a week in wages and got the hump so moved to Brighton who were a division below us at the time, then promptly helped them to promotion back to division 2.

I remember his last game for us, the season finale at Portman Road finishing 1-1. He came over and applauded us despite the fact we were under coin attack at the time from the Ipswich fans on the pitch.

My favourite Reading player. Guts, braun, determination, enthusiasm blah blah etc etc. Always put in a shift and seemed to love playing for us.

No matter how much younger fans may eulogise about - a minority few - current players "playing for the badge", you couldn't compare with the likes of Bremner, Chalky, Hicksy, Tricky Trev, in fact to be fair almost all of them in those days, who cared like their jobs and future depended on it - which it did back then.

Sadly how times have changed.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 05 Sep 2017 21:13

Yes remember the coin attack very well police did a good job letting them line up and pelt us , picked up about £1.50 so not all bad .Stevie Richardson scored the equaliser hence new it was going to be an odd day. Kevin Bremner Mad Max was my fav then gutted as everyone when he left , a few games into the following season i asked Ian Branfoot why didnt you pay Bremner the extra he replied i wish to god i had .

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 06 Sep 2017 01:21

The game that sticks in my head most from that run was Chesterfield at home most games were tight scrappy nervy affairs but that night we took them to the cleaners 4-2 flattered them big time. Trev bagged a hat trick after receiving stitches for a head wound and we racked up a massive number of corners 23 something like that?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 06 Sep 2017 02:38

Jackson Corner The game that sticks in my head most from that run was Chesterfield at home most games were tight scrappy nervy affairs but that night we took them to the cleaners 4-2 flattered them big time. Trev bagged a hat trick after receiving stitches for a head wound and we racked up a massive number of corners 23 something like that?

25 corners to 1! We blew Chesterfield away despite the relatively close score.

traff

by traff » 06 Sep 2017 12:33

grey_squirrel
Mr Optimist So gutted when Kevin Bremner left for Brighton. I heard a rumour that he had been refused an extra £50 a week in wages and got the hump so moved to Brighton who were a division below us at the time, then promptly helped them to promotion back to division 2.

I remember his last game for us, the season finale at Portman Road finishing 1-1. He came over and applauded us despite the fact we were under coin attack at the time from the Ipswich fans on the pitch.

My favourite Reading player. Guts, braun, determination, enthusiasm blah blah etc etc. Always put in a shift and seemed to love playing for us.

No matter how much younger fans may eulogise about - a minority few - current players "playing for the badge", you couldn't compare with the likes of Bremner, Chalky, Hicksy, Tricky Trev, in fact to be fair almost all of them in those days, who cared like their jobs and future depended on it - which it did back then.

Sadly how times have changed.

Also loved watching Bremner, he played like a fan would (if they were good enough) pure heart.

Hong Kong Phooey

by Hong Kong Phooey » 07 Sep 2017 09:35

The suggestion that Bremner played like as a fan is dead right. A real shame he wasn't with us for longer.

I remember that final day game at Ipswich. The sound of coins whistling by as we were trying to applaud the players off the pitch. I too recall the police just watching on as the coins flew by! Had a fantastic day though!

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 07 Sep 2017 11:25

Royality creeps In
East Grinstead Royal The thing I always remember about the Newport game was at full time, thinking how sporting the Newport supporters were in clapping Reading for setting a new record (that was the 12th of 13). It was years later that I realised there were Reading supporters scattered around the entire ground (replica shirts and colours weren't so much of a thing in those days).

Went to Somerton Park a few times, including the record breaking game.
Surprised you said their fans were friendly.
I think every time I went, we found ourselves being chased around the ground.

Newport is a total dive and from my perspective I have to say their fans represented the shitty area perfectly.

What I was trying to say was that I thought they were very sporting, but there were actually Reading supporters on all sides of the ground. I don't remember too may issues with Newport supporters, but there was an occasion when 3 or 4 coppers decided to stand on the step immediately in from of me, despite there being only a couple of hundred of us. I couldn't see a thing, so I stood on the step immediately in from of them. After a few seconds I got pushed, slowly but firmly, two or three feet to one side. I remained in that position for the last few minutes of the game. Not a word was spoken and no eye contact was made.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 07 Sep 2017 16:42

I went to the game where we got promoted; a turgid 0-0 away at Darlington........

I literally have no memory of the actual game, it really was that terrible.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 07 Sep 2017 19:25

I recall an old pupil from school, a fellow fan. Not really a friend but we used to say hello sort of thing.
Anyhow it would have been sometime in the 80's. For those that recall games then it could be pretty fraught at away games, both in and around the grounds with no real segregation. We were in the lower leagues with few thousand fans watching and barely a coach load going to away games

We were at one of the Newport away games. Having had grief there before, being brave we went without any colours and kept out mouths shut.
Of course the old school chum, chubby, spotty and decked out in a blue and white bobble hat and scarf, happens to be at the game, sees us, waves and comes over to stand next to us. ( A bloke like Henry for those that remember him) We were muttering under our breath Fck off etc. We walked off and he followed!
You guessed it, before long we were identified as Reading fans by the locals and spent the rest of the game looking for protection from local plod, who to be honest didn't really give a flying one. I think I took just a couple of punches that game.

Happy Days :shock:

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 08 Sep 2017 11:32

Henry! Bless him, I remember him well.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 08 Sep 2017 13:12

Mr Angry I went to the game where we got promoted; a turgid 0-0 away at Darlington........

I literally have no memory of the actual game, it really was that terrible.

You can see my hand and watch strap on the front page of the Evening Post.

That was a fantastically awful game. But who cared? We were up!